Looking for a Tome Game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Dominicius
Knight

Looking for a Tome Game

Post by Dominicius »

So I have once again found myself with a bit of free time on my hands and I was wondering if anybody here was planing on running a Tome game. Not looking for anything in particular as of yet but I will say if a premise does not hook me.
Last edited by Dominicius on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'm done with finals and almost done with my temporary park internship. I might contemplate running one of my dubious play-by-post games.

If I did, it would be one of 2 scenarios:
- The Orcish ambassador got attacked by bandits on the way here. Half his retinue is dead and his ambassadorial seal was stolen. The military here is slow to mobilize, and the authorities would reward adventurers who taught the bandits a lesson before an international incident arises. The complication is that the bandits are based in a small subdungeon inside of a larger cave network inhabited by demons.
- You are bounty hunter(s) after the notorious bandit Balmung Blackblade, who has fled to the Northern frontier. Track him down. Adventure is quasi-linear, since there are several branching paths that all eventually lead to the endpoint. PC(s) expected to need to find a safe place to rest at least once, as the area gets dangerous at night.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I have a couple of game ideas I want to run. I'm in a few other games, so I may not be able to run them, but if one of my time slots open...

1) The party works for a Genie on the Plane of Air. The game will be set up to run episodic missions, and working for the Genie will be optional after the first session. Players can be Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings, Mephits and Elemental-Bodied native to the plane of Air. Starting Level 3.

2) Players are each an outsider bound as an intelligent magic item, created by the Robot King as his hucroxes. The PCs are part of a set of n+1 items, where n is the party size. The goal of the game is to find the last piece of the set, and then use magic to undo the Robot King's immortality and kill him. The game will be run like Diablo in terms of story and adventure design, with basic and expendable cohorts being generated to carry the PCs around. Player Character will have a 20th build, but will only be able to use an ability if their wielder is of a high enough level. Starting level will be 2d6-2 (min 1)
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

I like the idea of bounty hunting and episodic missions. Don't know which I personally like better though.

I think others would need to give their input to see just how many people would be interested in playing.
Last edited by Dominicius on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Gonna bump this thread since I don't think this warrants a new one and the topics are somewhat similar.

I am currently in a Tome game being played over on MW and the DM can no longer participate in the game. I would like to ask anyone if they would be interested in stepping in his place since we got about 4-5 players (including myself) who are still interested in playing.

Here is a link to the game and the add thread:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=147000
http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20111

If the idea behind it is interesting to you then feel free to step in.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Looks kinda interesting based on a quick skim, but I'm dealing with the start of a new school quarter right now. I'll check the game out in more detail, but even if it still looks interesting then, I have to figure out all my classes before I commit to a new game.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Thanks for the interest. When do you think you'll have things figured out?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The weekend is coming up, but tomorrow is a wine tasting event I might need to help out with plus gaming with a friend, and Sunday is meatspace RPG group. Monday is a holiday. Let's see.... late Sunday, optimistically, but midway through the next school week pessimistically.

I am interested in doing some kind of play by post gaming this quarter, but I also have other priorities. Things are close to completely stabilized at school, but I'm not comfortable until I've completed at least one assignment for each of the classes I'm enrolled in.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Alright. Yesterday's meatspace game ran much later than I expected, but I have read through the 3 chapters of your game that seem to have happened so far. It looks like there's a strong focus on the relationships between the characters, and I don't think I can focus on that sort of thing as effectively as your old MC. My games tend to be more goal-oriented, where the protagonists are united in trying to accomplish something specific. But I don't think the idea of a game set around young characters trying to decide who they will become as adults is entirely incompatible with my own style.

We have a quiet, unexceptional human village as our setting. There's a few NPCs who might be implied low-to-mid-level retirees from more happening scenarios, but not much to distinguish it from stereotype. However, it's near a bunch of low-level adventure sites. And it also has ambitious would-be PCs that might leap at an opportunity for adventure. There is a disruption of routine when a new social innovation reaches Loom. Adventurers are forming a guild, intended to make it easier for people who need problems resolved and professional or recreational troubleshooters to find each other, then conduct their business without either side getting cheated. Though opinions on this development are mixed, the guild has met with enough success to expand from the war-torn country it originated in.

Normally, actually joining the adventurer's guild involves a not-insignificant registration payment. But this is an organization that wants to bring in new members, and someone who shows that they have what it takes to be an adventurer might be able to persuade their way in without it. And the guild recently branched out into maintaining a lesser help-wanted directory that people don't need to be adventurers to use.

So, one day, 1 or more new people move in and set up shop. Divinations showed this would be a favorable place to extend the Guild, and people making the decisions followed through. As a new branch, these people want to develop the knowledge and contacts that will justify their existence and salaries to the higher-ups. So they say they'll pay for information about the area potentially useful to adventurers.

Now we have a source of plot hooks. Some goblins can steal crops for their underground distillery or everyone can get horrible dreams when an eldritch shrine in the deep woods goes into stellar alignment, and the PCs have an incentive to go there and at least learn about the situation before others. We also have a source of conflict, since the town elder and others could quite logically see these interlopers as a bad influence.

But this would be a significant shift in game tone. And I'm not sure if you wanted to flash forward to that kind of stuff yet.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Well I'd need to ask the others if they would be interested.

Me? I like to keep things more focused on the character and their chemistry. I feel that each player has enough plot hooks to go by, all you need to do is involve the other characters in them.

But if the others are ok with this idea then I wouldn't mind going along with it.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Well two people have declined the offer so I don't think it will work. But still, thanks a lot anyway.

Would anyone else be interested in the game? If the idea behind it sounds interesting enough for you.
Last edited by Dominicius on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Dominicius wrote:Well two people have declined the offer so I don't think it will work. But still, thanks a lot anyway.
That's fine. Good luck with your game!