[Akula's DKQ/DOM3 Hybrid Strategy Game] Player Nation: Uluth

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

[Akula's DKQ/DOM3 Hybrid Strategy Game] Player Nation: Uluth

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

[Akula's DKQ/DOM3 Hybrid Strategy Game] Player Nation: Uluthheim

Uluthheim:

Steppes and wastelands make up a large part of the central landmass of the larger of the 2 islands in Silent Seas region. These less-fertile and generally harsher environments are shunned by most of the island's human inhabitants. Orcs, gnolls, and other savage races claim most of the land. Most of these are the descendants of older civilizations that declared war upon their neighbors, then lost and were driven out of the fertile lands. Most of these live as nomadic hunter-gatherers and raiders. Rivalries and limited resources make much cooperation between tribes and clans difficult, so the people of the wastelands only rarely amass enough power to seriously threaten their civilized neighbors. Those groups that do are often crushed by preemptive action from alliances of multiple city-states on the wasteland borders.

Recent developments may herald a change in wasteland politics. Uluth Fafnareich, a local orc warlord of greater-than-average power, was approached by a collection of orcs and goblins with a dream of a brighter future for the wasteland greenskins and any others willing to join them. A new greenskin nation that would embrace some of the civilized ways of its neighbors on the border and attempt an alliance based on the fact that if they controlled the wastes, the raids on the outside world could be stopped, replaced with trade, or channeled solely towards those nations not allied with the new wasteland state. Touched by their vision, Uluth agreed to dedicate his people towards the new state, with one condition; his name would have an eternal place of honor in the new order. Each new dictator of Uluthheim would take on the name of the revered founder in place of their own. After an exodus to a great mountain on the border of the wastelands, the people of Uluthheim built a new city state and began diplomatic overtures to the outside that have won them some new friends, but many new enemies.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

National Magic: Fire. Uluthheim's mages channel the same fiery forces as most other adepts among the wasteland greenskins. However, they focus on different aspects of fire magic than their neighbors. Straighforward destructive and summoning magic is neglected in favor of spells that aid the mage's allies. The signature war spell of Uluthheim sets the arrows of an archer ablaze, acting as a force multiplier when enough adepts can be assigned to standing troops. Magic can also revitalize the exhausted, infuse warriors with berserk battle fury, and shield people and crops from the harsh heat and sun of the wasteland.

National Site: The Runic Volcano. Uluthheim is built around a vast black mountain dotted with glowing magical sigils that seem to change from day to day. Fire mana crystals can be harvested from the caldera at the top and the dangerous caverns extending deep within the mountain. Periodically the volcano erupts, and the lava flows have drastically improved the quality of the surrounding soil. Originally, the Runic Volcano was inhabited by salamanders who worshipped it, as well as many fiery monsters less numerous, but still considerably deadly. The salamanders and monsters living on the outside were cleared out in a brief war several years ago when Uluthheim claimed the site. However, many more lurk within the caverns deep within, and it is not unheard of to see a couple of flame monsters emerged from the volcano for one reason or another. The volcano's inhabitants are generally quite hostile towards the orcs that stole much of their home, and they tell stories of a host of "great liberators" who slumber for now, but will eventually waken to drive the greenskins away.

Flag: Red circle over a black triangle on a grey field.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Named Characters

Military Advisor: Ragna Sargeros
A veteran orc mercenary who amassed a small fortune as a wasteland raider, then invested it into joining a respectable company of sellswords on the southern coast as an officer. Upon her retirement, she decided to come back to the lands of her birth. She is one of the original visionaries that drove the creation of Uluthheim as a new wasteland state.

Diplomacy Advisor: Vaughn Hirath
As both an orc and one of the only reliably successful wasteland caravaneers, Vaughn was an obvious choice to represent Uluthheim to its neighbors. He has quite a bit of experience negotiating with wasteland border states, but somewhat more limited knowledge beyond. Vaughn approached Uluthheim himself, asking for the role after a public relations fiasco earlier that month. He managed to resolve the problem and has served with distinction.

Economy Advisor: Alphonse Raurun
A human banker from the southern coast and one of Ragna's trusted friends from her days as a mercenary leader. When she retired, Alphonse followed, and his talents soon led to him being offered a position overseeing Uluthheim's economy, which is rapidly growing in both size and complexity as stable trade with the wasteland borders is established.

Archmage 1: Kazrag Tikak, the Architect (Earth)
A goblin born with a deep affinity for earth magic, Kazrag is a master architect and engineer. One of the original group that drove the creation of Uluthheim, Kazrag dreams of creating great new art and structures for the new wasteland state. Kazrag often presides over important construction and maintenance operations, but is most happy when given time to work on great statues and decorated structures for existing settlements.

Archmage 2: Indigo, the Seer (Astral)
One of the greatest of the wasteland seers, Indigo has watched several generations of wasteland politics, and is rather disillusioned with the current status quo. Her age has given her a perspective different from the younger seers, and she is one of the few to have thrown their lot in with Uluthheim's cause. She periodically gives predictions on the courses of action she feels will lead to good or bad futures for Uluthheim.

Archmage 3: Nephis Bertruger, the Necromancer (Death)
Nephis is a mysterious wizard who became one of Uluth's closest councilors long ago. Fleeing a home that rejected his dark magic, Nephis found a place of honor serving Warlord Uluth. Nephis maintains a cadre of skeletal warriors that function as an elite, but replaceable arm of the Uluthheim military. He and his undead minions inspire both fear and respect in Uluthheim. When not guarding the capital, they are used a front line in important military operations and a police force in the most hostile of Uluthheim's territory.

Leader: Uluth Fafnareich
As a warlord, Uluth was famed for his willingness to accept compromises and the long string of single combats he won against formidable monsters of wastes and champions sent by his enemies. His greatest fear was that he would be forgotten soon after his death, but now that his name and image has been made an integral symbol of the new state, Uluth has little reason not to fully dedicate himself to making Uluthheim as great a nation as possible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Subfactions are to be determined by Mister Cavern.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Standing Troops: 5 units
Image Image Image Image Image

Elite Troops: 1 Unit
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

[Placeholder, in case this game goes far enough that I end up needing to put down a bunch of extra detail]
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

So you making a Dom 3 mod or...?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Akula wanted to run a quasi- Magical Tea Party strategy game equally inspired by Dom 3 and Dead King's Quest (a game on another RPG forum). I am one of several prospective players he has asked, and since I heard the most about the system, I thought it might be helpful for me to post what I came up with for my faction where everyone else could see it.

I have made Dominions 3 mods in the past, but this is not one of them. And this game isn't my project either. Akula would be the one to ask for details. He's dealing with finals next week, so I doubt he'll post before the weekend after this.

I could summarize what I remember from the conversations about this game, but it's been a while, and I may grossly misinterpret one or more of Akula's ideas.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Uluthheim province map:

(name)
ATT2DETECT2
DEF2SENSORS1
EW2COMM3
LD2AUTOCOMM5

SPDSTOPCBTTOP
Normal1/2___
Afterburner3/4___
ATTACK___

ARMOR_OVERKILL_

ACTIONS_SIZE_

================================
DAMAGE: [Sh] [St] [Li] [He] [Cr]
PERKS:
list
/list
-------------------------
FLAWS:
list
/list
------------------------
AUX
list
/list
WEAPONS
NAMEARCACCRANGEDAMROFTRAITSROUNDS
________
________
________
________

Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.