working class stiffs, the implications.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

working class stiffs, the implications.

Post by Prak »

So, I'm working on this BPRD game, and need some help. I'm planning on giving the players an actual choice as to whether they join the Bureau or stay independent. This means presenting the pros and cons of working for a quasi-governmental organization. And I need help with what those are. So far I have:
  • Pros
  • salary
  • legal protection ("Mr Lewis was actually a vampire preying upon the young women of New Jersey, and our agents had to kill him. We'll thank you to not lock up our employees for doing their job. Nice talking to you, DA.")

Cons
  • Lack of full autonomy
  • Paperwork (off screen and handwaved, though possibly with a small incentive for players to actually do it)
  • Expectations of conduct becoming of an agent ("No, you can't indiscriminately kill innocents")
what am I missing?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Pro: Toys; Awesome Toys.

If you can justify it you can get a heck of a lot of stuff that independent monster hunters wouldn't have access to, and it doesn't cost you a penny.

If you need a hellfire anti-tank missile with a silver warhead that's inscribed with Enochian sigils, blessed by a Zoroastrian priest, and anointed with the emissions of a green-eyed virgin male and an Apache helicopter to fire it from in order to kill Vampire-Mecha-Cthulhu-Hitler the Third, it's easier to just fill out the paperwork and let the BRPD's supply officer take care of it.

In a less extreme example, there are things like Hellboy's gun, Johann Kraus's containment suit, and Abe Sapien's breathing apparatus from the movie.

And of course there's the usual assortment of government cars, surveillance equipment, and whatnot.

Pro: Medical Insurance

Even if your body is incinerated and you're reduced to pure ectoplasm, the BRPD will take care of you. Not many HMOs can boast that.

Pro: You fly for free.

If you need to get somewhere the government will provide transportation. This may include commercial plane tickets, train tickets, nuclear submarine rides, nighttime insertions by navy seals, parachuting from low-earth orbit, recommissioning an Apollo module so that you can race Hati Hróðvitnisson to the moon and hopefully prevent the Norse wolf-god from eating it.

I mean, if Sam and Dean Winchester went to NASA and told them that Hati Hróðvitnisson was about to eat the moon and they needed to get up there to stop him, do you think NASA would listen? Of course not. But the BRPD would get their trip to the moon. Hell, the BRPD probably has a Saturn rocket in a warehouse somewhere for just such a contingency.

Having a giant black budget government agency at your back means that you can get a lot of shit done that would otherwise be impossible and it makes a lot of difficult shit extremely easy.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:59 am, edited 3 times in total.