Convention Report

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Convention Report

Post by Koumei »

Okay, this convention is one of the newer, smaller ones. But this time was especially small. Like, they only barely broke even, and there were under a hundred people (including "showed up and registered on the day", and also including "pre-registered, but didn't show up").

Before I talk about my game, I want to mention something awesome. Five years ago? You'd get the special 2-session D&D massive game challenge, with a trophy for best team, and said winning team get to design it for next year. You'd also have ~4 Living campaigns each with literally twenty scenarios to choose from. And maybe half a dozen or more standalone D&D games.

Then 4E came along. And basically you had "a couple of Intro to 4E games" and your usual 3E stuff. Now? It was mostly systemless and little-known game systems, but here is all of D&D:

4E: only Living Forgotten Realms - 3 scenarios
Pathfailure: only PF Society - 3 scenarios

That's right! 4E enjoyed as much representation as some dude's houserules for 3E. And each of them had all of three scenarios to pick from. But it gets better: 4E didn't even end up running for a single session. I think we can officially start urinating on its grave.

Now, how much 3E/Tome was there? WELL ACTUALLY, THE SAME AMOUNT OF REPRESENTATION AS THE OTHER TWO. Because I ran my Disgaeagame. I'm pretty sure someone owes me a fiver on some kind of bet.

Now, the game itself: it was fucking hilarious. They really had a great time. "Wait, we already did the Kill-the-Overlord thing. Who cares that it all changed? Let's make a new goal, like KILLING THE GODS!" "Hmm... I'm now making you Overlord instead, I'm taking a nap."

"Wait, so I used to be a MANLY knight but now I'm a flower girl?"
"Well that makes it easy for you to roleplay the character realistically. Just play with your boobs all session."
"I should point out you've been in this new body for a hundred years or so."
"My point still stands."

"What? You have a bigger Charisma than me!"
"It's not the size of your Charisma, it's how you use it."
(That said, the character with the bigger Cha also used it better - damage rolls and save DCs as opposed to just a couple of save DCs)

"Hahaha, you might be more Charismatic but I'm older than you!"
"...for girls? That's a bad thing. You're welcome to be older than me."

They found the character sheets easy to glance over and pick up the noteworthy stats for, and even those who don't play any D&D could quickly use the rules - something I've found is rare in D&D games. They enjoyed being able to hit with most attack rolls, do assloads of damage, and generally perform well, but even then, Archimedes did get knocked into the negatives once by Orcish Iaijutsu*.

All in all, they had a great time and so did I. So 3E/Tome basically is tied with Pathfinder (an official product with shiny art and actual books for sale and an ad campaign) and AHEAD OF WORST EDITION. YOUR MOVE, MEARLS. And also the convention was enjoyable, possibly more important than noticing that we win and slagging off 4E.

*I went with the great axe. Anyone know if there's a more traditional (in D&D) orc weapon though? And it seems kind of fierce combining: high strength, strength and a half, big die size, x3 crit and "lol I choose to crit"**

**Much like I know my Ninja class needs to change the "you crit flat foes" ability to something different. (Probably "You gain the Edge against Flat foes and can make one AoO against them just for being flat")
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Convention Report

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Koumei wrote:Before I talk about my game, I want to mention something awesome.
As much as I enjoy ragging on 4e and PF - I find that to be the opposite of awesome in what it portends for TTRPGS in general.

But I'm glad everyone had fun.

Now post those dragon cake pics. :p
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Convention Report

Post by Koumei »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Now post those dragon cake pics. :p
Okay
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I was going to say the same things that Josh said, but he kinda beat me to it. Wizards of the Coast seriously needs to start making something that could compete with Pathfinder, or else even more people will join the moron brigade of Paizo fanboys. Also, this is one of those times where I wish I actually COULD teleport or fly...I live in a country where NOTHING FUN EVER HAPPENS.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.