View Newest Post Borked?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

View Newest Post Borked?

Post by Draco_Argentum »

When I click the view newest post button for a thread it is taking me to what was the newest post one or two days ago. Is anyone else getting this? I've only had it happen since getting a new PC with Win 7 if that matters.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Re: View Newest Post Borked?

Post by Vebyast »

Draco_Argentum wrote:When I click the view newest post button for a thread it is taking me to what was the newest post one or two days ago. Is anyone else getting this? I've only had it happen since getting a new PC with Win 7 if that matters.
I've had it pretty much since I signed up, on every PC I use. This bug shares some code with the one where you sign in one day and every thread in the entire board is marked read, since they both change state (mark as read, choose new newest post) at the same time.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

phpBB2 does not use the same tracking method of vBulletin for new posts.

stock it jsut shows an indicator based on time you visited the forum last, after that and once you have a cookie or session ID it marks threads read based on the last time you viewed it

everything is in place to do it the other way, but not fully implemented since each post has a link to click on to move that post to the top of the page, and its icon Image to indicate it is a new post.

it requires a hack to fix or upgrading to phpBB3.

phpBB2 always had problems with post tracking, including logging in.

and the problem remains in storing such info in a cookie, rather than in the database itself.

just to let people know...it isnt just TGD, but ALL phpBB2 forums.

best thing to do...and i HATE saying this because of the improper use of cookies, but clear your TGD cookies and it should help a bit when you login and get a fresh cookie.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

It's been like that for me since I came back. I don't even use it anymore.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Basically, in order to get the thing to work, you have to get the thing to update itself. So far, the best way I know of doing that is to log out. If I log out every time, then when I log back in the new post pointers are all correct and point to the places at the point I last logged out.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

In my experience it is never a problem, except when I log out. If I always stay logged it, it's never an issue, but once a month or so, when it auto logs me out, or when changing computers, it's all fucked up on all the computers.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Mine used to work with the never logging out thing. Now its pretty spotty, good the last couple days though so maybe its had its hissy fit.