Converting people to Tome

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Converting people to Tome

Post by Chamomile »

It looks like I might finally be able to pin down a live RP group for weekends. There is only one problem. The game right now is set up to be Pathfinder, and I don't want to learn Pathfinder when it's inferior to a system I already know, namely 3.Tome.

The group so far seems to be heavily into setting background and etc. There's a huge emphasis on narrative over mechanics, and I can work with that since I tend to value narrative over mechanics myself, just by less wide a margin. But it does mean that getting people to convert to a new system is harder, since they don't care about the system so much in the first place.

What would be handy are a few examples of "here is how I can break your gameworld into tiny little pieces using Pathfinder. I can do it using only spells that actually exist and work exactly as they are intended, but by combining and/or reusing them in clever ways, I can destroy your entire setting, and it actually makes very little sense that the setting hasn't already been destroyed this way, what with it being thousands of years old and all."
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Re: Converting people to Tome

Post by Archmage »

Chamomile wrote:What would be handy are a few examples of "here is how I can break your gameworld into tiny little pieces using Pathfinder. I can do it using only spells that actually exist and work exactly as they are intended, but by combining and/or reusing them in clever ways, I can destroy your entire setting, and it actually makes very little sense that the setting hasn't already been destroyed this way, what with it being thousands of years old and all."
If your group really does strongly value narrative over mechanics, you're going to get told "none of that happens, because the GM houserules it not to happen."
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Chamomile wrote:What would be handy are a few examples of "here is how I can break your gameworld into tiny little pieces using Pathfinder.
I played in a game where I tried this using a fighter. Another guy in the group had already done it with a sorcerer and was going to try it with a rogue. The end result? Everyone got angry and the game fell apart. The others' concept of Pathfinder is now "It is the best D&D experience I've ever had, as long as I don't play with tools who try to bend the rules over a chair."

From my experience, in the end, the player who proves a point is the villain, not the rules that made it possible.

I'm starting from another tack in a game I'm going to run. I'm using PF to show that the way that world works just ends up falling to pieces. After the pieces are picked up, Tome happens - and with an in-game reason to abandon PF, we take the story they've loved and use it to oil mechanics that suck less.
Last edited by Bihlbo on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Seriously, it's not that bad. Don't take trap options; sandbag yourself a bit, and you'll be fine.
You don't have to pretend the shit sandwich tastes nice, but if it comes with a fun group on the side, just smile and get it over with.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

fectin wrote:Seriously, it's not that bad. Don't take trap options; sandbag yourself a bit, and you'll be fine.
You don't have to pretend the shit sandwich tastes nice, but if it comes with a fun group on the side, just smile and get it over with.
I kind of agree with this. If you're playing a game with people you like, let it be Rifts, PF, or some gothy trash from White Wolf and have fun with the people. If you want to play the system you want to play and that's more important than the people then crap, dude, just find new people.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Chamomile wrote:It looks like I might finally be able to pin down a live RP group for weekends. There is only one problem. The game right now is set up to be Pathfinder, and I don't want to learn Pathfinder when it's inferior to a system I already know, namely 3.Tome.
so you found an existing group that plays Pathfinder, and as the new person to the group want to jump into it and get them to change what they play, do i have this correct?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Personally, I haven't seen "here's an exploit (or dozen)" arguments to be all that effective in actually getting people game groups to change systems.

My advice for selling a group on Tome can be found in this recent thread
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

This is my first time playing with the group. I don't really know anyone in it very well, so I'm not sure how it'll work out in general. I am most definitely not planning on actually breaking the gameworld, I just want to try and persuade the GM that it is very, very doable and that we'd be better off in a system where this is less true, since it doesn't make any sense that no one's figured this out and done it yet. It'd be like if everyone decided not to use guns in the real world because they're overpowered. You don't do that when you have the option to use a gun and your life is actually on the line.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

if you start in trying to change what they do, do not be surprised if you are not welcomed for very long.

"you got to work here longer before you get vacation time"

you are going into an established group and wanting to start off rocking the boat. you should play what they like and see if they would agree with you on any level, before jumping in trying to change things to suit you.

if they ask what you want to play, then by all means speak up to what you say here, but dont just go in with the idea of changing them just for you.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Chamomile wrote:What would be handy are a few examples of "here is how I can break your gameworld into tiny little pieces using Pathfinder. I can do it using only spells that actually exist and work exactly as they are intended, but by combining and/or reusing them in clever ways, I can destroy your entire setting, and it actually makes very little sense that the setting hasn't already been destroyed this way, what with it being thousands of years old and all."
The problem is that Tome isn't really complete either, and it can totally break the game, too, depending on the player's/DM's expectations. So pitching them Tome instead of PF isn't necessarily even fixing things from their point of view.

And as Archmage said, if they're heavily into narrative over rules, it probably won't matter anyway.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Chamomile wrote: I am most definitely not planning on actually breaking the gameworld, I just want to try and persuade the GM that it is very, very doable and that we'd be better off in a system where this is less true, since it doesn't make any sense that no one's figured this out and done it yet.
I have never yet seen anyone convinced to quit playing a system they liked by argument alone. There's always a first time, I guess.

I can sympathize with not wanting to learn a new system, especially when it's as potentially confusing as PFRPG vs. 3.5 (which are exactly the same, except when they're not).
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Just play the group. The group is more important than the game, usually. Focus on having fun, not on inter-game politics.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

If this is a narrative focused group, you may even attract their ire for doing things like casting spells as a Wizard, using a reach weapon as a Fighter, or multiclassing, and no, I'm not exaggerating. It's happened to me.

My advice is to play what they want to play and offer to DM a parallel campaign.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I got lots of ranting from my DM for playing a Fighter that took archery feats, taking Skill Focus (Perception), animating a corpse with a necromancer, and bringing clubs to use for telekinesis instead of small rocks on the ground. Because the monk in the party got hasted in my campaign, everyone lost their iterative attacks in the next campaign that wasn't run by me.

This wasn't even a narrative focused group.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I tried to convert my players to Tome by running a Tome game. It didn't take, but they at least tried it. I think that might be better than trying to convince them to change the rule set mid-game.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I can tell you that in my experience, you'll probably never convince a group to switch systems by showing them the flaws, especially by using them in the game. I inadvertently did this by playing a wizard, as my expectations of what's balanced differed (as I discovered), and this has soured them to ALL gaming-related opinions from me; they will literally dislike ideas regarding the rules solely because it came from me, and then when they forget about the suggestion months/year later and someone else mentions it, they love it and implement it.

The best chance you'll get is to tell them of the fun in Tome as if it were a completely different game, avoiding any mechanical comparison to Pathfinder if you can.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

virgil wrote:I can tell you that in my experience, you'll probably never convince a group to switch systems by showing them the flaws, especially by using them in the game.
Maybe not game systems, but I've had GMs change their mind on particular rules after swearing up and down "there's nothing wrong with rule X" and then subsequently seeing it in use.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

virgil wrote:I got lots of ranting from my DM for playing a Fighter that took archery feats, taking Skill Focus (Perception), animating a corpse with a necromancer, and bringing clubs to use for telekinesis instead of small rocks on the ground. Because the monk in the party got hasted in my campaign, everyone lost their iterative attacks in the next campaign that wasn't run by me.

This sounds like it deserves an In the Trenches post.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

agreed
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:
virgil wrote:I got lots of ranting from my DM for playing a Fighter that took archery feats, taking Skill Focus (Perception), animating a corpse with a necromancer, and bringing clubs to use for telekinesis instead of small rocks on the ground. Because the monk in the party got hasted in my campaign, everyone lost their iterative attacks in the next campaign that wasn't run by me.

Seconded.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

RobbyPants wrote:
Hieronymous Rex wrote:

Seconded.
Thirded.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Seerow wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:
Hieronymous Rex wrote:
Seconded.
Thirded.
Fourthed.

On the original subject though, this is a new game with a new group starting up a brand new campaign. Asking people to switch mid-game is asking them to abandon the campaign so far which is obviously going to be nigh-unto impossible unless they're already thoroughly frustrated with it. On that note, this situation is kind of time critical.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's this thing called reasoned arguement. It's where you present your points as to why one thing is better than another, and try to sway people through concrete evidence.

This is what I suggest you do. Get the group together not to game, but merely discuss system. Hell, if you can afford to, take them out for pizza or something, people are generally more willing to listen to a person when said person is feeding them.

Present the reasons why you think Tome is better than Pathfinder, or why Pathfinder is a bad system, or whatever. Have an actual discussion.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

look you can't convert people to the tomes.

if ordinary people who aren't rules spergs like we are here play the tomes, they're going to shit themselves with OMG OVERPOWERED, especially when the base tome material is on par with heavily optimized casters. codzilla accidentally breaking the game will not compare to what tome classes will deliberately do.

if you honestly want the players to try a powered-up version of the base classes then use tome of battle.
What would be handy are a few examples of "here is how I can break your gameworld into tiny little pieces using Pathfinder. I can do it using only spells that actually exist and work exactly as they are intended, but by combining and/or reusing them in clever ways, I can destroy your entire setting, and it actually makes very little sense that the setting hasn't already been destroyed this way, what with it being thousands of years old and all."
this argument will never work because any sane GM does not allow shit to break his game. most of the "gamebreakers" in D&D are things that don't ever come up. chainbinding wish loops? no. pun-pun? no. candle of invocation cheese? no. scry + teleport nonsense? no. most players a) don't understand the rules well enough to try anything like that, or b) are polite enough not to smash the game.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

One would be more likely to succeed by playing up the tome's intentions as a series of spot fixes with an eye to verisimilitude rather than showing problems in other rulesets. The latter tends to be received as the acts of a munchkin jerk by those more narratively focused.