Tome game. IRC only. WTB DM.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Tome game. IRC only. WTB DM.

Post by Kaelik »

Since my wednesdays and/or sundays are now totally open thanks to the death of Orion, I'm looking for a D&D game. But only IRC, because play by post always sucks.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

^ What Kaelik said, sans deaths opening up days.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Well, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I think I can probably run a series of short, episodic Tomes games based on my GUARDS premise, wherein members of the Sharn Watch are followed around by ganja-smoking gnomes under an improved sanctuary effect to record their exploits a'la COPS, only with less domestic abuse cases and more people wanting to topple the city.

I'd prefer to start a game at level 1 with some modified starting rules (start with any mundane gear you want (and basic armor from Tome of Gears) and a Cloak of the Watch [+2 to your primary stat], double first level HP and first level Con bonus, pick your own damn stats and forgo point buy and rolling, just don't go crazy with it) and run four encounter workdays in miniseries of story arcs, preferably wrapping up most cases within one to two sessions, gaining a level every three or so.

If this sounds too stupid, I'll return to looking for a DM as well. Just an offer from someone who has a modicum of experience DMing IRC games and an enjoyment of Tomes games.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Was kinda hoping someone, anyone, who knows that level 1 is ass would show up, but apparently not, so you are the guy.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Well, I know level 1 is ass, but I'm also one of those who feels that a story really should start at level 1. But I also know that, level 1 being ass, it needs something to stop stupid insta-gibs, hence the adjustments.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

On further consideration, and after remembering how fucking boring running level 1 encounters are, how does level 3 sound as a starting point?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

That would be better, course, still don't have any prospective players other than me.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I shall go on a recruitment drive! and so shall you!
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Hmm, I could play. Jonesin' for some dnd right about now. I've never played an IRC game before though.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Jilocasin wrote:Hmm, I could play. Jonesin' for some dnd right about now. I've never played an IRC game before though.
It's not really all that different. Same as a face-to-face game, just with text, and I've got a dicebot (Bones) that can handle the vast majority of any rolls that'd come up during gameplay.

So, since this is a thing that's most likely gonna happen, what are possible times on Wednesdays and/or Sundays that people could play?
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

My Sundays are almost always wide open and I'm free in the evening on Wednesdays. I'm in Seattle, so GMT -7. Probably should have said I've played a few games over rptools and text/skype, just never used irc for this kinda thing.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Jilocasin wrote:My Sundays are almost always wide open and I'm free in the evening on Wednesdays. I'm in Seattle, so GMT -7. Probably should have said I've played a few games over rptools and text/skype, just never used irc for this kinda thing.
I have no plans on Wednesdays or Sundays at all.

Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

I'll voice my interest in playing, though Wednesday is the only day that works for me. It's wide open, though, and I too am in GMT -7.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Wednesday seems like the resounding choice, as I've usually got something going on on Saturdays. I'm in GMT -6, and afternoons/evenings would generally work best for me.

So, do you guys want to go with the semi-silly-ass GUARDS set-up, or something more serious?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Do you have something more serious in mind? And a time? And by extension character creation rules.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm interested in trying out Tomes

What's the info on character creation, theme of the story, etc.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Nothing actually in mind for "more serious", but if you want I can probably cobble something together. Or we can careen down screaming into utter silliness.

Character Creation:
Level: 3

Ability Scores: Pick whatever. I retain the right to veto all 18s.

Equipment/Gold: Fuck it. No, really. I hate the bookkeeping on this. If you insist, you get enough gold to cover your WBL plus your basic gears (1 magic armor, magic weapons to match your style). If the game goes that far, we'll start tracking non-gold economies.

HP: First level, you get Max HP. But wait, there's more! Take that and triple it. Then triple your Con bonus for that level. All other levels are (1/2 dice)+1+Con bonus.

Races, Classes, Et al: Stick to Tome for classes other than Full Casters. Don't pick a PHB feat if there's a Tome equivalent. Etc.

Theme of the story so far: Your group has gained a few bits and pieces of notoriety working together on the occasional bit of bad news over the past few months. You've attracted the attention of the Sharn Watch, who wishes to hire you on in an experimental new procedure. The Gnomes of Zilargo have developed a new magitechnology known as "Orbs of Viewing", and have placed one in every home in Sharn.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to become a roving mobile band of law-enforcement throughout the megacity of Sharn, followed by the Zilargo crew (who will be safe from harm under an improved Sanctuary effect) who will cast your struggles for Law and Order through their Orb of Sees-What-It's-Pointed-At (name pending) and broadcast it to every Orb of Viewing in Sharn. They're calling this experimental procedure the GUARDS Watch, and expect many an eye to be on your adventures.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Your gold section is stupid. Not everyone is a Fighter. Hopefully no one is a Fighter. Only 7 characters care about magic weapons. Also, no WBL if Gears, no Gears if WBL.

Also, no silliness, that's the entire 100% reason I quit the last IRC Tome game.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Kaelik wrote:Hopefully no one is a Fighter.
Is there something wrong with the Tome Fighter?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Hopefully no one is a Fighter.
Is there something wrong with the Tome Fighter?
Yes.

So I'm going to play a Shadowcaster.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I'll do my best to come up with something between now and the first session that's less silly, then. I'll probably wind up with something mostly player-driven and breadcrumbs that lead into multiple plotlines going into an overarching plotline over the long term.

But for now, I really just want to see characters. I can start planning once I get a feel for them. And I really don't care what you pick up for equipment; start with all 8 magic items if you want, Gears is all scaling bonuses anyways.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrisulfr
1st Level

Post by Fenrisulfr »

Since the silly game isn't happening, I'll abandon my idea for a clockpunk-powered-armor-using revenant and go with Kaelik's Favored of Vecna.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

You guys full up, or open to a couple more players?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

We could take one or two more, I think, without any issues.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok. cool, I'll pass the word along to my friend.

I think I'll use my Vasharan Pokemaster Token Evil Teammate for this, and spare my meatspace dm my attempt to force an online class onto the table. So my character should be done shortly, since it's roughly half done anyway.

hmm...were there ever any vile feats made for Tome?

(assuming the Sharn Watch idea is what we play, every cops send up needs a police brutality character, and what better than a PC who honestly doesn't understand why he can't let his charmander to burn a confession out of the suspect)
Last edited by Prak on Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.