So...actual games?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

KneelBeforeZod
NPC

So...actual games?

Post by KneelBeforeZod »

This is the Gaming Den, but does anyone have any actual games, preferably online? I'm jonesing for some D&D, and our local group, well...we're very slow in doing anything.

Anyone wanna help a Kryptonian out? :thumb:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Try in the Trenches, that's where people usually recruit.

I'm thinking about trying again to recruit a DM, but it usually doesn't go well.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
KneelBeforeZod
NPC

Post by KneelBeforeZod »

Yeah, nobody wants to DM...and I don't blame 'em. It's a very nervewracking experience.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

IRC games usually work better than pbp. That's a generic assertion but it makes sense. Give people a specific time and framework and people will try to conform to it.

PbP just says that you should post your reaction but you can do it tomorrow as well.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
KneelBeforeZod
NPC

Post by KneelBeforeZod »

That is a good point. It's good in that you get infinite time to respond, but bad in that you get infinite time to respond.

But now I have images of an online D&D adventure, being played over a period of years by guys who are actually out adventuring, who post when they get back or whatever.

Anyway, do you know any good IRC groups?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I like DMing, but I never offer to do it here because I still have zero practical experience with the Tomes, and I know I'd just do a shit-ass job at it.

If you're looking for PbP, brilliantgameologists runs a lot of them at any given time, mostly catering to 3.5 D&D. Expect a fair amount of (potentially cheesy) optimization as that's the old CO group, although this does vary game to game and DM to DM.

You can minimize some of the lag on PbPs by having the DM do all of the reactionary rolls (like saves, initiative, and what not) and by posting information with your action (like the DC of the spell you just cast). Even still, it's a solid example of a chain being as strong as it's weakest link. The game only progresses as fast as the slowest poster.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Re: So...actual games?

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

KneelBeforeZod wrote:This is the Gaming Den, but does anyone have any actual games, preferably online? I'm jonesing for some D&D, and our local group, well...we're very slow in doing anything.

Anyone wanna help a Kryptonian out? :thumb:
I have run 2 forum games here in the past, and something like 4 or 5 in total. Each ended when all the players stopped posting without explanation.

I might be willing to start a new one if 2-3 people seemed interested, but I would probably start a betting pool with my friends over how long it would take for people to ditch the game and how many would actually articulate their decision when they left.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: So...actual games?

Post by Kaelik »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:I have run 2 forum games here in the past, and something like 4 or 5 in total. Each ended when all the players stopped posting without explanation.
That's because you are horrible DM and person.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

And you are rather impolite. If you do feel inclined to throw such vitriol in my direction in the future, I would appreciate if you were a bit more specific. It may seem surprising, but I actually do generally listen when someone suggests a means of self-improvement to me. Otherwise, personal attacks seem a waste of effort that might have been more constructively applied.
KneelBeforeZod
NPC

Post by KneelBeforeZod »

Feel the love.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Gaming Den is not what you would call a "close-knit community."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Chamomile wrote:The Gaming Den is not what you would call a "close-knit community."
Bound close by the bonds of enmity.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

http://rpol.net/ offers a lot of PbP games, and a variety of systems. Though as with all PbP games - how long the games last is anyone's guess. I've had a number of games die before getting started, most make it a few weeks or months before the GM drops. Some last years.