we should have a TGD chat

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

we should have a TGD chat

Post by Psychic Robot »

incorporate a chatbox on the website. go fbmf my minion go
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

What do you think the features of a TGD chat are?
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Short asides about things that you think are interesting but not interesting enough to post. Metadiscussion that would detract from the actual discussion. Rapidly-moving discussions where there are more than a few people online and keeping your drafts up to date is too difficult.

Of course, it would also add a ton of clutter, so whether it would be worth adding is the major question.
Last edited by Vebyast on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Makes sense. I suspect that bbboard will not allow that though; it would pretty much have to be a separate actively running software instead of just a webserver+SQL.
EDIT: Unless we're on a dedicated server? That seems unlikely though.

EDIT 2: I have no idea what I am talking about. Where is this even hosted? IP lookup says bluehost, but I thought someone said bbboard.

So, let me ask this way. If you were spec-ing this, what would the key requirements be?
Last edited by fectin on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

We are on bluehost. BbBoard was the host two or three hosts ago. They sucked ass and a barrel of cocks.
Last edited by Zherog on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

An embedded irc chat room might not be a bad place to convene for Denners.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

tl;dr: Bring Me A Rock is a bad game.

So, I think that's a little harder than you think in a couple ways.
If you want a private IRC server (say, because you expect to get flooded occasionally by goons), that is potentially actually hard. (I got curious so I spent a while looking into this.) Bluehost doesn't really have any useful details posted, but if they work like Dreamhost (I strongly suspect they do) running an IRC server is going to be difficult and unreliable, because they will auto-kill those processes. Bots are right out (and you eventually will want bots as part of admin). Also I haven't turned up a good embeddable IRC client (more on that later). Also, IRC may or may not be the best format: it really depends if you want persistent rooms, if you want separate rooms at all/per forum/per topic, and if you want additional user-created rooms within that.
How do you want the chat displayed? As a link spawning a new window, or embedded in the page? The first one may break on slow connections and weird browsers (i.e., I can't come here with an iPhone anymore), and the second has only minor advantages over standing up an entirely separate chat room (which may be a good idea all by itself).

The "best" (depending what the requirements are!) solution I've come up with so far is persistent den- or forum-wide chatrooms based on Jabber, and paired with some sort of embedded client (again, more after this). Why Jabber? because everyone and his brother have written an XMPP client, and because Dreamhost will run a Jabber server (which I figure means Bluehost is likely to as well). As a side benefit, it's much easier to connect to from a dedicated client than even IRC is.

"Embedded" is a funny word. Does that mean a link, a link with pop-up, an actual frame in the page, or something else? Do you want to log in (easy), connect anonymously (moderately easy), or auto-login with your username (hard enough that it probably won't happen)? How willing are you to sacrifice smartphone connections? (Personally, I oppose that.) Do you want it persistent between pages? That makes the login harder.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Do we really need the capability to deride each other's idiocy with realtime profanity? And do we need that capacity in a way that can't be handled by pre-existing chat clients on an individual basis?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Do we really need the capability to deride each other's idiocy with realtime profanity? And do we need that capacity in a way that can't be handled by pre-existing chat clients on an individual basis?
This sums up my feelings nicely.
[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]