WTB After Sundown MC

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kaelik wrote:
Orion wrote:--You need to specify the type of poison you generate.
I'm not sure, because I'm genuinely not understanding how the poison rules work, still, so I don't know what I want.
I'm not sure either, and I don't have time to figure it out right now, but here's the full text:
Damage Over Time
Are you still on fire? You should stop that eventually.
When a character is soaked in acid, freezing to death, on fire, or otherwise subjected to a damaging situation that is ongoing, we call this DOT or Damage Over Time...
DOT damage is added one wound box at a time. A DOT effect has a “delay” number, and that number determines how much time passes between filling in one wound box and the next. When a DOT is introduced to a character, they may make a Resistance Test against it, and the hits on that test are added to the Delay Number rather than subtracting from the actual damage done. Being covered in acid for long enough is liable to be a problem for anyone. DOT’s will continue filling in a wound box on schedule until they end. For external sources of damage, that generally means removing the noxious stimulus, while something like an injected poison usually has an amount of time it will persist based on how much was injected (this time could be cut shorter with things like antidotes or diuretics).

Code: Select all

Delay Number    | Time Between Damage Boxes         | Example DOT Source
0               | 3 seconds (Each Initiative Pass)  | Falling into hissing green goo
1               | 1 Round                           | Engulfed in billowing flames
2               | 2 Rounds                          | Unable to breathe
3               | 5 Rounds = 1 Minute               | Bitten by deadly serpent
4               | 2 Minutes                         | Exposed to killer frost
5               | 5 Minutes                         | Inhaling noxious smoke
6               | 15 Minutes                        | Watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie
7               | 30 Minutes                        | Staring at a glowing radioactive rock
8               | 1 Hour                            | Inadequate protection from brutal cold
9+              | Double Time Each Additional Delay Number (4 Hours, 8 hours, 16 Hours, etc...)
Poison: Poison has a progressive effect that affects the target more as time goes on. Functionally this means that poison is much slower than bullets or chainsaws. The way this is handled is as a DOT. However, not all poisons inflict actual damage, many come with special effects in addition to or instead of filling in wound boxes. Poisons normally only accumulate effects for a certain amount of time based on the original dose. When a victim is exposed to additional doses before the first has run its course, use the current timer for how long the poison will last and reduce the Delay by 1 if the timer is less than half over, or leave the Delay number alone and reset the termination timer if it has run more than half of its course. Characters with Patience of the Mountains or Tongue of the Serpent are immune to poisons. If a character is given anti-venom or some similar treatment, the character gains additional resistance dice to increase the Delay and/or the termination counter is reduced in length (depending on whether it works by clearing the chemical from the victim’s system or neutralizing the effects). Note that the dosages are all the “normal” dosages, which for “recreational” poisons (like street drugs) are actually very small. Poisons my be more or less effective if administered by another route (injecting pepper spray would be all kinds of fatal). The assumption is that street drugs are being snorted unless otherwise indicated. The secondary effects of a poison kick in as soon as one damage box is filled in (or would be filled in for non damaging poisons), and end when the Timer runs out. Damage, whether Normal or Lethal, remains until healed.

Code: Select all

Poison              | Delay | Timer     | Effect
“Euphoric”          | 2º    | 1 Hour    | Amnesia and Overstimulation
“Hallucinogenic”    | 2º    | 6 Hours   | Amnesia and Delusion
“Paralytic”         | 0º    | 10 Minutes| Paralysis
“Soporific”         | 1º    | 1 Hour    | Sleep
“Toxic”             | 0     | 10 Rounds | Agony

Poisons in Quotes are the magical poisons available with Tongue of the Serpent. The damage level may at the character’s option be increased by the character’s Potency.

When a Poison has a secondary effect, that effect generally lasts for 10 minutes to an hour.

º: This Poison doesn’t actually do any damage, the damage level is just there so that secondary effects occur. At the MC’s option, overdoses may still be fatal if the virtual damage level rises to Terminal.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Carthaz, I have no idea why you think someone on an internet forum asking to play a game cannot read. I know what the full text is. I`ve read it several times, I still can`t figure out how the non damaging aspects of poisons apply to poisoned creatures, having read it.

Stop posting rules text that is three mouse clicks away.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

The Temporary Conditions are described on pp. 84.

The Euphoric poison (for example) causes Amnesia and Overstimulation, beginning 2 rounds after administration (delay 2) and lasting for 1 hour - 2 rounds. Each hit on the resistance test doubles the time-to-onset, so with 6 hits, the poison wouldn't take effect for an hour and in-fact would not effect you at all.

The toxic poison does 1 box per initiative pass for 10 rounds - that is, it kills you. Each hit on the resistance test doubles the time, so with 3 hits on the resistance test you end up only taking 2 boxes of damage, and with 4 hits you take no damage at all.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kaelik wrote:Carthaz, I have no idea why you think someone on an internet forum asking to play a game cannot read. I know what the full text is. I`ve read it several times, I still can`t figure out how the non damaging aspects of poisons apply to poisoned creatures, having read it.

Ah, I didn't realize that you had bought the latest PDF.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Orion wrote:I could be making an arithmetic error, but it looks like your stats are 1 point too high.
In Media Res, right? Start at 1, allocate 2 extra points to one pair (physical, all in Agility), 4 to another (2 in Intuition, 2 in Logic), and 5 to the last (2 in Charisma, 3 in Willpower), with 3 free floating points (2 in Intuition, 1 in Willpower)...

Agility 1+2=3, Strength 1
Intuition 1+2+2=5, Logic 1+2=3
Charisma =1+2=3, Willpower 1+3+1=5

Why does your character Despair? Can you elaborate on that for me?
I was thinking something along the lines of despairing over the loss of his humanity (perceived loss, since he was never really human), similar to what I imagine most Transhumans go through. Despair frenzies would probably be warranted whenever confronted with his innately monstrous nature - i.e., whenever his psychological blocks are shattered.

Also: since a reliable portal to another world is a rating 3 resource by itself, I'm assuming the rating 2 "dreamland hideout" doesn't come with one. Do you have someway to access it I'm forgetting about? If not you may want to reconsider

However, you do have another resource coming to you. (it's 3221+X where x= your obligation's rating) So maybe you can rejigger things to afford a Dream Circle as well as the hideout.
Good idea, adjusted.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) So does that mean that Abyss of the Body, Chud, kills everyone in a few minutes?

2) So can I vial my saliva to fuck people up with it?

Going with Paralytic Poison, Soporific is probably better, but I want Paralytic so bad for flavor.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

My reading is that Chud with no net hits deals 1 box of damage every 5 minutes, and the symptoms are slowly dissolving into white goo; total goo transformation occurs when they die.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Carthaz, I have no idea why you think someone on an internet forum asking to play a game cannot read. I know what the full text is. I`ve read it several times, I still can`t figure out how the non damaging aspects of poisons apply to poisoned creatures, having read it.

Ah, I didn't realize that you had bought the latest PDF.
Is that some sort of joke where you are retarded? The entire text, literally everything in the game, including the part you quoted is on this forum. Yes I also torrented it, so I have the PDF, but the text is also on this forum, no one needs you to copy paste.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I've updated Heinrich with die pools, as well as tweaking the power selection. Now there aren't any die pools of 17, but he has more 'ifrit lite' abilities rather that simply copying (fewer) powers from the Ifrit list.

Kaelik wrote:Is that some sort of joke where you are retarded? The entire text, literally everything in the game, including the part you quoted is on this forum. Yes I also torrented it, so I have the PDF, but the text is also on this forum, no one needs you to copy paste.
No. Me being retarded is no laughing matter.

But I wasn't aware that the text was unchanged from the version posted in the forum. Do you seriously have this much of a problem with me pasting text in a relevant thread, or are you just bitching to look at your own posted words?
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:But I wasn't aware that the text was unchanged from the version posted in the forum. Do you seriously have this much of a problem with me pasting text in a relevant thread, or are you just bitching to look at your own posted words?
Yes, I really have a problem with you posting something that I already have as if I don't have it. That is incredibly useless, and very annoying.

EDIT:

Can I change my obligation to some kind of 3 Stalker or Enemy who is some guy coming after me for my serial killing with a pretty good team.

I'll still be working for Daziban, but it will be as part of working up to Mehtar instead.

Some kind of Destiny 3, as a magic compass that points to artifacts that can be titaned/potency X sups, ect or something like that maybe.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Kaelik,

There is no reason to assume that the text of the PDF is the same as the text of the forum thread. There is nothing wrong with someone doing your work for you by culling out relevant passages for you. I get that you're butthurt because he impugned your intelligence by implying that you hadn't read the text. I get that the problem is actually that the text makes little ot no sense because the section on nonlethal poison was written before the current DOT mechanic was. But he still did you a favor because when we sit down to hash it all out, all the relevant text will be here for us in one place.

When I wanted to call you an idiot I took it out of the thread to a forum for debates. Please follow that example and don't shit in my game thread by insulting your fellow players. Also, please don't mistake that for a request because I used the word "please."
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Also: Sure, you can have a monster hunter as a Stalker 3. I'll work out the details of your Destiny tomorrow, or you can have this one, which I used in a previous game:

Coveter's Compass: This brass and obsidian compass is used by naming a unique item, or a kind of item. The compass will then point to the nearest object meeting the description. If there is no suitable candidate in your world, the effect fails. This is an Infernal Sorcery that can be detected and dispelled either where the compass is or where the item being searched for is. An item buried or packed in sand resists with 3 hits, or with the dicepool of the character who packed it.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I feel like the Compass is a little too good/bypassy, but sure.

Do I need to write anything else for my Stalker/enemy, or are you going to take care of that?

When are we going to start PbP and/or any progress on time of day for IRC?

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I was doing real life stuff and waiting on Mask de H, but now I think he may have been waiting on me. I'm going to get the first post of the game up some time on Saturday, along with another attempt to organize IRC time.

Mask, you're free to join up if you'd like. Don't worry about getting done before Saturday or anything, we'll work you in when you're ready.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Orion, the GMT is being built in Cerro Las Campanas, Chile. The nearest airport to that is Vallenar. It would be good to know if there are any elf paths to get there faster (although I don't expect that my character would be aware of them). It would also be good to know if it is a Daziban project, and what the Stellar Oracles think.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

What is a GMT?

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Magellan_Telescope I think?

Edit: I'm not sure *why* that would be a Daziban project though. It seems more like it's something the Storm Lords might do, or it could be some sort of Three Shadows plot (what with the huge mirrors).
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Quantumboost wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Magellan_Telescope I think?

Edit: I'm not sure *why* that would be a Daziban project though. It seems more like it's something the Storm Lords might do, or it could be some sort of Three Shadows plot (what with the huge mirrors).
The Ko3S is the most obvious culprit, but remember that Daziban still has strong Infernal ties.

That does get me thinking that it would be rad if the James Webb space telescope was a Storm Lords project to summon the Ko3S into orbit. That would be a nice 'fuck you'.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

The Compass could work like wayfinder in the swords novels.

You tell it what you want - which can be an object, a type of an object, or an abstract goal like wealth, love, power, etc.

The compass tells you the fastest, riskiest way to go in order to obtain that thing. So if you tell it you are looking for your kidnapped niece, it will take you directly to the heavily fortified base of the paramilitary group that ordered the kidnapping, not to where your niece actually is?

But I still think that's more than a rating 3 destiny; the compass is just too powerful for three dots. If "find anything" is 3 what can you get for 4?
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

You could have to make some sort of check in order for it to work properly. Failure would give you a wrong destination.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Too many weird limitations would make it into a liability. Too open of use would let you make mysteries mostly irrelevant.

If it only lets you find generic items, items you have personally touched, or items you know the 'true name' of, it might be at the right point of balance. This won't be especially PvP (I hope), so Kaelic having a slightly overpowered item would just work to our benefit.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Too many weird limitations would make it into a liability. Too open of use would let you make mysteries mostly irrelevant.

If it only lets you find generic items, items you have personally touched, or items you know the 'true name' of, it might be at the right point of balance. This won't be especially PvP (I hope), so Kaelic having a slightly overpowered item would just work to our benefit.
Yeah, I think that's a good balance.

Too specific an item ability, or to general a description of a specific item, or too abstract an item would be weird.

IE:

I don't want to be able to:

1) Location of man who ordered those thugs to attack us.

2) A Grimoire that allows me to learn the Elder Power Zombie Mastery.

3) The item that will allow me to defeat the Ifrit so and so.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Orion wrote:I'm going to get the first post of the game up some time on Saturday, along with another attempt to organize IRC time.
This is me scowling at you Orion.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

This whole thing where you have a real life Orion, and it gets in the way. That needs to stop. Just give me a list, and I'll murder all your problems away.

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I've been to Chicago, I can run the first session realistically.

We spend five hours stuck in traffic, then we all get Hot Dogs - and anyone who attempts to get ketchup on theirs is unceremoniously killed.