VaeVictis, a Dom3 MP

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OK, the server is back up. And it ran the turn. But it did not accept anyone's turns and just ran stale. That was weird and mostly bad, but if it affected everyone (except obviously Ctis) equally, I'm basically OK with it.

If even one human player got a turn in before it fizzled, I would think it best if the turn got rolled back and we sent our turns in again.

-Username17
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll have to request a rollback either way, since this stale resulted in some of my troops deserting. Since everyone already has trn files, sending those back in should be right quick anyways.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

So...wait for rollback? Or should I complete the current turn?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Winnah wrote:So...wait for rollback? Or should I complete the current turn?
I would rollback. If people are having mercenaries jump because of shenanigans, then that's reason enough to rollback a turn.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Okay, I will do a rollback unless I hear a lot of objections in the next 12 hours or so.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Zero dissent, rollback implemented.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I spent a quarter of an hour scripting only to have my orders ignored. That shits me. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wipe the rage spittle from my monitor.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There are a lot of reasons that the AI ignores scripts. They go off script if the targets are out of range (biggest reason), but they also go off script because they refuse to spend gems if they feel the enemy is too weak, because they don't actually have enough gems, because casting the scripted spell would push them past 200 fatigue, because they feel personally threatened by a proximal enemy soldier, their preferred target is literally immune, the condition they are going to inflict is already on the target, and a host of other reasons that seem to include "because fuck you, that's why".

Once they go off script, they go off script. Often in a pretty big way. But always check your gems and your expected spell ranges before you set up a script. Remember that if something costs "3 gems" it probably actually costs way more than that, because a three gem spell costs 300 fatigue before reductions or encumbrance and casters can't actually do that.

In lighter news, the armies of Rlyeh have been broken beneath the waves. Azrael, first Seraph of Colette raised aloft the mighty Orb of Atlantis and decreed that Atlantis would be freed from Rlyehan tyranny. It will be so.

-Username17
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

edit: All one mage. Decided to jump 3 turns ahead in scripting and send my back line berserk before they had finished buffing. Gems were not the problem, in fact, I think I gave them more than they needed. End result was that attrition was significantly lower than it should have been.
Last edited by Winnah on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

AI is half the game.

I mean, anyone who has seen the AI going on a suicidal Blink-fest knows that pure Astral mages shouldn't be sent into battle if you just have Blink researched and not other Astral spells.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The AI will skip spells in its queue that it thinks would be useless to cast. If you script two characters to cast mass regeneration in the same round, and one of them casts it, the other one will not. What they do at that point is random - they will either cast the next spell in their queue or just go off script and cast something they feel like casting.

-Username17
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

That's probably it. I had scripted a few mages to cast some spells like protection, haste and elemental warriors, the mage that broke script was probably in the AoE. Oh well, I'm over it, but this experience will remind me to take more care with placement in future.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Winnah wrote:That's probably it. I had scripted a few mages to cast some spells like protection, haste and elemental warriors, the mage that broke script was probably in the AoE. Oh well, I'm over it, but this experience will remind me to take more care with placement in future.
Yeah, that'll do it. If one guy casts Wooden Warriors, no one in the AoE will cast Barkskin and will immediately go off script if they have been ordered to do so.

-Username17
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Given that playing Abysia has become an exercise in "buy some troops, pool my earth gems", and shows no sign of changing for the remainder of the game, I'm going to set it to AI. Turn 75 is sent in, to settle final accounts, and then Abysia will be fully AI-ified.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

My 'cunning plan' was sending Pangaea's blood economy into overdrive in preparation of my own world-fucking shitstorm. Repeated Apocalypse wishes shut that down before it got to speed.

Collapse of Pangaea is imminant. I'll do my best to hinder all involved parties for as long as possible.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well, how do you like my cunning plan? Hopefully he will be still there next turn...
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Yeah...Unless you can somehow manage to pull a victory out of your arse, I can't say that I'm impressed.

What the hell. Earth attack for everyone!
Last edited by Winnah on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Yeaaa, I'm not seeing how Ragnarok helped out R'lyeh either, though it certainly made my war against Pangaea a whole lot easier. Burden of Time makes a lot more sense, 'cause R'lyeh has long-lived mages that start out young. But still, neither of those affect SCs.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

So is the end of the world about 10 turns sooner than we expected? Who wins the "Marignon Countdown to Victory" bet?
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

We captured Atlantis this turn. The armies of Rlyeh were unable to hold the seas against us.

Our feint at Lucky Lake did not go as well.

-Marignon
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Why Jotunheim bothers to break the NAP (with an surprise attack) at this late point, is a little questionable to me...
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Breaking an NAP? Yeah, repeatedly wishing for armageddon tends to do that.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I wouldn't consider a wish for Armageddon to be a breach of a NAP. But I understand why people would.

Attacks on the whole world are on the whole world, and have a variable marginal benefit to different players. But I could definitely see the world's major blood economies feeling that armageddons were an attack on them because they are disproportionately hurt by them.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Shiritai wrote:Breaking an NAP? Yeah, repeatedly wishing for armageddon tends to do that.
I heard nothing from you while the Armageddon lasted, so yeah. I'll call you pact breaker.
I would not have done it, for this reason. You had ample Time to chancel the pact and I was preoccoupied with Frank anyway, so it wouldnt even have hurt you.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Huh. I'll need to make my NAPs more explicit next time; I had thought that wishing for armageddon was akin to declaring war on everyone. Ah well, lesson learned.