Dom3 MP anyone?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I've never done multiplayer, but I'd like to try if y'all have room for another.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I only hope, we didn't scare the OP away. ;)
K
King

Post by K »

Korwin wrote:I only hope, we didn't scare the OP away. ;)
That would be hilarious, but wouldn't stop us from starting up a game.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

What's the usual timeline for turns?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Somewhere between 1-2 days, usually.

If we did scare off the OP, I'll host.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I could be up for that, if everyone were willing to tolerate newbie strategies.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I'm torn between my desire to be in a game where I can make my own mistakes instead of inheriting them, and my desire not to have my life consumed by dominions.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Korwin wrote:I only hope, we didn't scare the OP away. ;)
Hehe, the OP is right here and amazed at the number of replies after the rigors of a weekend well spent. Excellent.

I like the suggested map very much. Looks great!

As to mods, CBM seems pretty decent to me and I haven't seen it mentioned here. For all I know though, this could either be due to its being taken for granted or its being universally despised by everybody in this thread. :)

If it's not too much to ask, I'd much prefer not having any admin responsibility for my first ever MP. I think I'll have my hands full trying to play the game.

Nation preference
MA: Abysia, Caelum, Pangaea
LA: Never played it, I'm clueless. Is it ok if I think about it after we've decided what age to play, if required?

Cheers!
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

CBM is universally despised due to unclear design goals and not being the subject of the wiki.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Okay, if the OP is abdicating hosting, I'll take it.

The game is Middle Age.

So for players we have:

Definites
Frank: Marignon, Pythium, Caelum, Atlantis (?)
Gnosticism is a Hoot: C'tis, Abysia, Vanheim
Calibron: Shinuyama
angelfromanotherpin: Abysia, Atlantis, Man
name_here: Ermor, Pythium, Caelum
Korwin: R'lyeh, Bandar Log
Shiritai: Jotunheim, Tien Ch'i, Arcoscephale
Akula: Abysia, Caelum, Mictlan
tenuki: Pangaea, Abysia, Caelum
Rabelais: Abysia, Ashdod, Pangaea
Ancient History: Man, Vanheim, Atlantis
Brasidas: Ulm, Agartha, Vanheim

Possibles
K: Unconfirmed
fectin: Unconfirmed
Orion: Unconfirmed

Unconfirmed players have 12 hours from the time of this post to confirm and submit nation preferences.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Nonstandard settings:

Definite
• Hall of Fame: 15
• Renaming: Enabled
• Victory: VP (non-cumulative)

What the exact VP setup is is open to discussion.

Possible
• Mark of the Champion: Proposed and supported by 1 person (Akula), opposed by 1 person (me). Players have 12 hours from the time of this post to vote it up or down.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The map under discussion has a single large ocean. Currently we have a Rlyeh and no Atlantis. But for an ocean of that size we need both. If none of the unconfirmed players takes Atlantis, I'll do it. As is, if one of them selects Pythium there is a 50% chance that I don't get any of my selections anyway.

-Username17
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

On reflection, I'd like to change my MA selections to -

1) C'tis
2) Abysia
3) Vanheim

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Last edited by Gnosticism Is A Hoot on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

FrankTrollman wrote:The map under discussion has a single large ocean. Currently we have a Rlyeh and no Atlantis. But for an ocean of that size we need both. If none of the unconfirmed players takes Atlantis, I'll do it. As is, if one of them selects Pythium there is a 50% chance that I don't get any of my selections anyway.

-Username17
Atlantis is my second choice and I'm one of four people with Abysia as first pick, so I'll probably just bow out of that particular contest.

...aaand you're not contested for Marignon any more anyway.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

So, VP setup. Personally, I'd like to try having twice the number of players in VPs scattered around the map in 1s and 2s with anyone holding a simple majority of VPs winning.

Thoughts?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

VP: Unlike Revenge of the Den, no Capitals as VP provinces.
So we dont know where the Capitals are.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

After playing around with Vanheim some, I'd like to change my picks to
1.Jotunheim
2.T'ien Ch'i
3. Arcoscephale

Not having decent non-capital mages hurts.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I like a mixture of 1, 2, and 3 VP provinces. Otherwise one player ends up starting in a VP province and everyone knows where his capital is.

For a game of this size, I would suggest VPs in capitals, 12 1 VP provinces, 6 2 VP provinces, and 4 3 VP provinces. The map the contains about 50 VP, and you should win the game with 20-25.

-Username17
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

well, even if we don't play cbm, I think we should at least play cbm 1.6 pretenders, which has been split off. Vanilla pretenders are inferior.

Nation choices Hmmm.

1 Abysia 2.Ashdod 3. Ermor (with CBM pretenders) or Pan (if not)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Rabelais wrote:well, even if we don't play cbm, I think we should at least play cbm 1.6 pretenders, which has been split off. Vanilla pretenders are inferior.
That is stupid and you are stupid. CBM's boosts and penalties to pretenders are so fucking random that even Quantum Mechanic can't explain some of his fucking choices. Gods don't need to be spawning giant armies and rainbows don't need to be efficient choices for double bless strategies.

-Username17
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Dunno about the deathmatch mod. My take on the arena is that it's mainly there for fluff and something of a lottery as well. Why attach greater significance to it?

As to CBM, I think the general consensus has been explained before. Being the noob here, I'm fine playing vanilla. Since CBM such a game-changing mod, I can also understand how people have strong opinions about it. That said, could we leave the flame shit to Abysia and Marignon?
- Primus
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

Frank, don't be such a dick. Your vote against CBM pretenders could have been registered with less pointless ad hominem. I think it makes for more options and choices which is rarely bad.

The advantage of the deathmatch mod is just that the prize is slightly more worth having as it is a good helmet as opposed to a mediocre twohanded weapon. I really don't care either way, but it makes MP deathmatches somewhat better attended than usual. (i.e. barely at all)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Rabelais wrote:Frank, don't be such a dick. Your vote against CBM pretenders could have been registered with less pointless ad hominem. I think it makes for more options and choices which is rarely bad.
Could I? Possibly. Not really sure why I'd want to. The CBM wars have been going for a long time - several years in fact. QM's cult followers have been very rude to a lot of people for a very long time. And I'm sick of it. I don't see any reason at all to bother being polite to them anymore. I've tried reasoned discussion, they are still assholes. Nothing to be done but make things incredibly clear which side of the fence I'm on.

So when you come in swinging with standard horseshit about how "Vanilla pretenders are inferior.", I roll my eyes and groan. "Fuck, another one of those assholes" I think to myself. And with good reason. Man, you didn't even say "I like CBM pretenders more", you just said that non-CBM stuff was inferior.

So let me get this out in the open and extremely clear: CBM is stupid. The methodology of creating and expanding CBM is stupid. The arguments for CBM are stupid. And the people who make those arguments are stupid. Period.
The advantage of the deathmatch mod is just that the prize is slightly more worth having as it is a good helmet as opposed to a mediocre twohanded weapon. I really don't care either way, but it makes MP deathmatches somewhat better attended than usual. (i.e. barely at all)
It's actually an incredibly powerful weapon. It lets you cast two spells a turn and hits very hard in melee. If you could forge it for 25 or even 40 gems you'd still do it pretty frequently. The reason people avoid the arena is because almost everyone who goes to the arena dies. And the people who most benefit from the thing (caster gods and such), are too valuable to lose.

-Username17
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, sending in one of my high-end blue starspawn in shiny gear to fight fucking sacred giant thugs in not on my list of "Things That End Well", so I never did it.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Another question (hope this doesn't start a FW as well):
Do we want the score graphs enabled?
- Primus