Dom3 MP anyone?

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

FrankTrollman wrote:
tenuki wrote:Hmm. I don't think I would have picked Pangaea if I'd known we'd be playing on a map that's mostly waste.

Isn't there anything available with a better territory balance?
I'd be fine with a better terrain balance. But why are you upset with Pangaea? Pangaea loves Wastes. They get alot of their money from events which are unaffected, they specialize in producing supplies and are therefore super effective in wastelands compared to other nations with living troops, and they get Hidden in Sand online simultaneously with their Carrion Lords.

Yes, there are a few spells that are Pangaean specialties that require forests to work (Beckoning, Faerie Trod), but their life looks pretty good if everyone has to deal with a lot of wastes. Makes Turmoil/Luck look pretty sexy. It's not like you're competing with Ashen Fields.

-Username17
See, that's the kind of stuff I want to learn about by MPing and the whole reason for my starting this thread. I look forward to watching you wipe the floor with my sorry ass. Sir.

(My rationale for raising concerns: I got scared by the prospect that, of all nations, Abysia with their wasteland survival will be the one able to field the largest non-undead armies. Secondly, I thought that Pangaea's forest survival (in particular the movement advantage) would be worth shit due to absence of forests. I also worried about the frequency of nature sites; dunno how the system works here. Glad to hear it's not relevant - on one hand.)

On the other, and without being able to contribute a map of my own, I'd still prefer some more variety.
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

Abysia doesn't field large armies. they have a metallic meat shield that distracts you while they evoc barbacue you or call horrors on you after marking you good and bugging out.

Also they get no benefit from growth scales for either income or supplies, except in the sense that their pop might go up if they didn't bloodhunt. Wasteland survival is intensely useless.

I will be taking death scales very likely, so only non-eaters will be able to invade me, even assuming grassland from flaming sea to flaming sea. With my cap fort so horrid in admin I dont really have a plan, but I'm sure that terrain is not going to be that important.

The important thing is that my research will suck, even at magic 3... I should have looked at the nation more carefully before generalizing from my first (LA) Aby experience. Do you want to trade me for Pangaea? ;)
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

The map that Korwin suggested is now downloadable. Anyone want to play a few games on it to see if it needs any nonstandard settings? Or do we just want to submit pretenders?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Unless someone brings up a specific problem, I'm going to assume it's fine. Submit 'em, guys. I want to be able to start in 24 hours or less.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

That's the one.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

How about posting this in an new thread, so its in the first post?
Better for updates too.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Okay, assigning nations to players:

Frank: Marignon, Pythium, Caelum
Gnosticism is a Hoot: C'tis, Abysia, Vanheim
Calibron: Shinuyama
angelfromanotherpin: Abysia, Atlantis, Man
name_here: Ermor, Pythium, Caelum
Korwin: R'lyeh, Bandar Log
Shiritai: Jotunheim, Tien Ch'i, Arcoscephale
Akula: Abysia, Caelum, Mictlan
tenuki: Pangaea, Abysia, Caelum
Rabelais: Abysia, Ashdod, Pangaea
Ancient History: Man, Vanheim, Atlantis
Brasidas: Ulm, Agartha, Vanheim
K: Ashdod, Bandar Log, C'tis

Abysia was basically the only conflict, I bowed out and resolved the Akula/Rabelais tie with an online coin-flipper.

With the late (shame, shame) addition of K, we are now over size for the Blackwald map. We need consensus for another one.

No-one else spoke up in favor of the arena mod, so I'm not using it, or indeed any others.

Llamaserver seems to have very limited VP settings. Right now I have it set to 1 VP in capitals and 25 more scattered around, with 19 total needed to win. If anyone knows how to set that more specifically let me know.

As usual, mail your Pretenders to pretenders[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net. Be sure to include the game's name in the subject line, which is VaeVictis. You have 24 hours from the time of this post to either submit a Pretender or ask for more time.

Because the site told me to mention treaties, the position of the admin is that treaties are only as binding as the pleasure of the participants makes them. However, there has been friction in the past regarding magical aggression vs troop aggression; be specific in your agreements on that matter.

Once everyone's submitted and we have another map, I'll start a new thread for the game itself so I can edit the first post with admin stuff.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

isnt the map supposed to be wraparound?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

That was the First smaller one.
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

to be honest I don't like this map at all

the long mountain ranges in combo with too powerful chokepoints, no grassland worth fighting over and the lack of wraparound suggests whoever gets the eastern edge and points south has a significant advantage.

the water isnt that well balanced either as one set is low maintenance and the other is coast in the middle of everything. ( I assume you can't start in the small corners?) It cant be much worse than what we are playing in revenge of the den, but it really ought to be significantly better and it isnt. I'll play whatever, but its just not a good map, afaict
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

But it looks good! :)

Just suggest another, before the game starts.
From my perspective it should have water provinces which aren't connected to land provinces.
(Even the sea in the middle has such an province in Bladelands, so I could live with it if I start there)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The bladelands zip file doesn't seem to work.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

redownloaded it, seems to work.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Korwin wrote:redownloaded it, seems to work.
I have downloaded it three times. The tga file does not unpack. It is a broken file.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I did not entpack the redownloaded file before, but I did open the tga file.
Redownloaded a third time, tga file opens without problems...
Unpacking no problem.

I'm sending you the unpacked tga file to your mail (as shown on facebook).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That works. Thanks.

-Username17