What are you watching these days?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm a bit dubious that it was part of the exaggerated persona. It was a very unwise comment to make from that perspective. Could be his success with the exaggerated persona led to him saying something he might otherwise have been tactful enough not to say, though.

As for the second comment, it's really in pretty much the same vein of bigotry. Maybe objectively worse but also temporally more distant.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Beyond that, I'm quite happy to scoff at people for what they do with their comedic personas anyway. Lemme put it this way: either this dude is kind of a stupid fuck, or he's a disingenuous carny asshole with a really lazy act ala Larry the Cable Guy.
bears fall, everyone dies
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Proud to be wrong. Holy shit... Why the fuck would anyone do this to themselves? Was this an experiment in trolling? Did he say those things to get out of filming? What the...??!!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I just found a show on youtube called Video Game High School. Really cheesy and surprisingly cute. Pretty impressive for something that looks like some college kids threw together for a film class. The second season has half hour episodes, so it looks like they made enough money to get a real budget.

TLDR: It's basically Scott Pilgrim in episode form.

Edit: And it abruptly ends at the end of the sixth episode of season two. Weird.
Last edited by ubernoob on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I just finished watching The Reichenbach Fall in prep for season three of Sherlock. Happy New Year, indeed.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Loved the season three opener of Sherlock. Now we're binge-watching Arrow.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I did a short piece for the blog I'm writing for about the season premier:
Not Dead, Korbl Klimecki wrote:After two years of waiting and speculation, BBC’s Sherlock has returned.

The third season premier teased fans by having Sherlock show up in a costume to surprise John, simply saying “Not Dead” (one of the scenarios dreamed up by fans during the lengthy wait). After a season three announcement that took the form of a hearse with a floral display reading “Sherlock 01 01 14.”

The premier gave several scenarios positing how Sherlock faked his death. However, none were confirmed. Each was played off as a Sherlock groupie theory, or a story of questionable veracity that Sherlock was telling. This only gave one plausible reason as to why he faked his death, which could also be untrue.

The episode also gave several nods to the fandom, with a fan club meeting to discuss the aforementioned theories–including “ships”–and twitter hashtags such as #SherlockLives and #NotDead.

The next episode is set to air this Sunday, Jan. 5.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

OgreBattle wrote:**I'm kinda surprised there's not as much a controversy over what Phil said about Black people in the same interview: "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."
I don't see anything controversial in that quote. It seems plausible to me that the people he knew were either apolitical enough or kept their unhappiness private enough that he wouldn't see it.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

House of Cards season two, courtesy of Netflix. Thank you, Kevin Spacey. :maj:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

That first episode. So plot, much wow.

Spoilers:
I really liked the the plot twist of episode 1, but I also thought was even better was the way he never spoke to you about anything all episode, and then right at the end, just as I was thinking, "Man, I don't think he has talked to the camera once this whole episode." He looks up from the mirror and says, "Did you think I had forgotten about you." Good shit, such prediction.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I'm amazed there's so much "wow", drama, and zomgSPOILERS!!! on the internets. Did no one watch the UK series?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Starmaker wrote:I'm amazed there's so much "wow", drama, and zomgSPOILERS!!! on the internets. Did no one watch the UK series?
No. But honestly I just spoiler things because people have bitched me out for spoiling season one of game of thrones during season 2, and that is an eleven year old book series, so I'd rather not have the argument about spoilers again, so I just spoiler block shit.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Kaelik wrote:
Starmaker wrote:I'm amazed there's so much "wow", drama, and zomgSPOILERS!!! on the internets. Did no one watch the UK series?
No. But honestly I just spoiler things because people have bitched me out for spoiling season one of game of thrones during season 2, and that is an eleven year old book series, so I'd rather not have the argument about spoilers again, so I just spoiler block shit.
I don't mean this thread, it's just the internet went all "zomgspoilers" and "what a tweeeeeest", while when the US version just started to air, people were openly discussing the supposed spoilers-to-be and how the future event would reflect on the newly reimagined characters.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

There's no "start to air" on Netflix. There are probably lots of people who have already watched the whole season since it came out Friday. Others haven't gotten that far, yet. And no... They probably didn't watch the UK version.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think he means that when season 1 came out the people who had seen the UK version were arguing about how the
death of a major character
would turn out.

Although I really do think the show has something to gain from the US political system, because the way you become prime minister pretty much has nothing to do with how you get the old prime minister gone, where in the US there are at least three paths to the presidency.

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I'd have to watch them both to see how close they are (maybe I'll do that this week). A couple of things I do know... The US version is considerably longer - by 22 episodes (and another season of 13 episodes is in the works). It seems surprising to me that we'd drag out a British series like that without something going horribly different, but who knows?

A lot of the nuanced differences in the show that I've seen talked about in online comparisons can be attributed to to the fact that we're Americans, and we don't British. But before I open my mouth and see if my foot fits, I'll actually watch the British version and get my own take on things.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Pokémon is now on Netflix! Each episode even comes with the pokérap. I forgot how annoying Ash is. On the other hand, I forgot how much the show makes fun of the games. And Pikachu is always cute, so that's OK, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ahh, Pokemon. From the good ol' days, no less. It's also on instant streaming, which is even better!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I only Netflix with streaming. ;)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Top Gear Season 21.
The three blokes from the UK are still hillarious ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I just watched The Lost Room (6x 45min episode miniseries) on the recommendation of a friend, and it was good. It can be found on youtube and possibly on more reputable locales as well, I dunno.

I watched all the Sherlock episodes in February and my socks were surprisingly rocked. It's my favorite Sherlock version to date largely because it is my favorite Watson. I was very lucky that I managed to finish watching all 3 seasons since only until March 4th was the 3rd season free to watch on the PBS website (the first 2 seasons I get on Amazon Prime). I'll buy them all at some point just to support the show, but it was nice to free-binge.

We hit up redbox for a couple movies recently. Ender's Game and the newest Hunger's Game.

Ender's Game wasn't bad, per se. It was just frustrating to watch the book on fast-forward. It made it really hard to develop characters since it just kept leaping forward. I had an even harder time relating to/caring about Ender. It did inspire my wife to read the only book I have from that universe, Ender's Shadow. I think she liked it.

The second hunger games movie... holy Koresh was it dark. I don't mean edgy. I mean that half the movie we couldn't see anything on our TV. Given that I have about zero respect for the third book, I don't think I'll care enough to watch the 3rd movie, even with the desire to complete things.

I'm sad I didn't rent like anything else instead. I could have grabbed Thor's Game 2 or something. Just like one Loki line would've been better than the entire Hunger Games 2 movie. I'm double sad because we had a free rental code for Hungry Hungry Games but we had to return the movie by 9pm tonight and we didn't start watching the 2.5hr movie until past 7pm because my wife spent literally the entire day doing her homework for her online class. So we are going to have to pay money for this rental anyway.

[later recollection: actually in retrospect, Thor was sold out so no I couldn't have rented it. My prioritization was also affected since my wife insists that she hasn't seen the first Thor]
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Saw Alien for the first time just now. Watching it while basically knowing everything that happens was very weird, but it was still very good. The crew completely fucking up Xenomorphs 101 was a hell of a lot less annoying than when people in the AvP games do it because not only is fighting Xenomorphs not literally their main job but they were also the first people to do it at all.

Campus film society is showing Predator tomorrow, so I'll watch that too. Yes, I've played AvP games without having seen either of the original films. No, I'm not entirely sure why either.
Last edited by name_here on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Watched Edge Of Tomorrow. Having read the manga of All You Need Is Kill, I am deeply saddened by how Rita is substantially less awesome.

Behold:
Movie Rita

Manga Rita
But there's a lot of down left from there, so movie Rita is still pretty awesome and the movie as a whole is good.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I've been watching various free things on Amazon Prime.

Carnival Season 1. A bit slow going, and nudity for nudity's sake lets you know it was made for cable. Still I'll probably watch Season 2 someday.

The Last Enemy. Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Carlyle. Yes! I was kind of expecting the ending to play out as it did (big picture anyway), but still got me in the feels.

Monsters. This movie would have been much better if I didn't really dislike the main character. Le sigh. He became more sympathetic eventually but took way too long to get there. The story was devoid of any sense of reality on many fronts, but I could have forgiven it better if I wasn't wishing for the main character to get eaten or something most of the movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness. Yay, more reboot fun. I enjoyed it.

World War Z actually wasn't too bad. I was appalled at Israel grabbing the idiot ball as soon as Brad Pitt showed up, but other than that I didn't grouse much. I'd have been pissed if I went into it thinking it actually had anything to do with the book, but I've long since known better.

I've been waiting to start Orphan Black with mrs. erik but she hasn't been in the mood to watch something longer than 22 minutes most days. I'll probably start it on my own this week.

We finally watched The Lego Movie at the discount theatre with my 5 year old. Was well enjoyed and I grabbed the DVD at the grocery the week after.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ooh! Thank you! My brother-in-law just set us up with a year of Prime, and so this is good to know!

As for Orphan Black... I got Ess to watch it by just hitting the play button. We both really, really liked the first episode and plan to continue, but we're trying to finish up the last few episodes of Continuum first.