What are you watching these days?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I haven't seen/heard of it until this thread, but I'll check out the first episode and give a report.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I haven't watched GoT due to technical difficulties, yet, but Ess and I did start watching Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler on a whim (thank you, Netflix).

It's not what I expected, but it's hysterically morbid. I'm rather liking it.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kaelik wrote:a review of that review
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I prefer this one.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
I prefer this one.
Actually I liked the more subtle nature of the movie frame I posted. Gets the point across without being obnoxious. But I do like that 4frame. I just didn't want to use a four frame.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So, is there somewhere that provides Game Of Thrones online without being virus-ridden or subscription? Alternately, is it on Netflixs?
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

name_here wrote:So, is there somewhere that provides Game Of Thrones online without being virus-ridden or subscription? Alternately, is it on Netflixs?
Filestube? Just download the video and play it.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

So I never did see Terminator:SCC when it originally aired, and I got really excited when SyFy said they were going to replay all the episodes.

They started three weeks ago, five episodes a week, and then canceled it, to be replaced by reruns of ST:TNG.

:disgusted:

Okay, so the story wasn't that great, but there were only 31 episodes total and you got half way through and then stopped. Three more weeks was going to perceptibly throw off ratings.

...and TNG reruns are going to bring back those lost viewers? Because it isn't like they can watch TNG reruns anywhere else?

Game On,
fbmf
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

1) Game of Thrones, illegally with torrents.

2) You should actually watch SCC somehow. It's mediocre, and then... Most importantly, you want to watch the ending, because it's actually almost justifiably good, and tries to make some kind of goddam sense of terminator.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kaelik wrote:2) You should actually watch SCC somehow. It's mediocre, and then... Most importantly, you want to watch the ending, because it's actually almost justifiably good, and tries to make some kind of goddam sense of terminator.
Wow, now that's a fucking feat....

PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

They cheat by starting their continuity at the end of T2 and ignoring the rest.

But thats probably a good thing.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Probably. I recall one scene from T3 (Ahnold using a casket to carry guns and block bullets), and an actual handful from T2, so there's that...

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Kaelik wrote:...and tries to make some kind of goddam sense of terminator.
Why doesn't TERMINATOR make sense? (At least the first two. I acknowledge from the third on has been a half-assed reboot.)?

Do you mean the disconnect where SKYNET somehow managed to send two terminators back through time on separate occasions even though JC blew up the time travel equipment after Reese came through and it was permanently gone?

That's the only thing that has always bothered me.

Game On,
fbmf
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

The plot of Terminator technically caused a temporal paradox.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That'S where the theory of infinite universes comes into play. The Pants of Time.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Zinegata wrote:The plot of Terminator technically caused a temporal paradox.
How so?

And what's wrong with that? It's a sci-fi story.

Game On,
fbmf
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I don't have a problem with it personally. But people who take science very seriously... do.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

fbmf wrote:
Zinegata wrote:The plot of Terminator technically caused a temporal paradox.
How so?
I assume it has something to do with Kyle Reese being John Connor's dad... who sent Kyle back in the first place... before he could have fathered him.

I personally tend to ignore these things and focus more on the skin-covered robot blowing a few dozen guys away with an AK-47 in one hand and a semiautomatic shotgun in the other. :mrgreen:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Terminator doesn't keep a consistent theory of time travel. It's one of those things where you can have Free Will or Fate but not both. In the case of time travel you can have closed loop time travel or open circuit time travel, but not both. But then, it's a Hollywood movie (well, a series of movies), so it comes from a long line of half assing that shit.

Basically you can either have the events "in the past" continue to dynamically change and reinforce the future that the time travelers are coming from, or you can have the time travelers be fixed physical objects in the current time period regardless of what happens to the future they came from. Not both. So either the future is essentially fixed once the time travelers show up (since whatever they remember includes the results of all of their actions) or the time travelers can't ever go back home because they will have at least butterflied their home time period out of existence to be replaced with something that might be better or worse but will in all cases be different.

Reese being Connor's father is fine from a closed loop standpoint. Indeed, the first Terminator is essentially predicated on the visitors from the future remembering a history they had already tampered with. It's a worldview with a single timeline and fated events at every stage. But the computer and the resistance responding to the change in the timeline to send back new soldiers and have a new fight over different stuff in T2 is impossible in that worldview. If Reese is John Connor's father, then the past with the events of Terminator in it is the only past that Skynet and the Resistance ever remembered, so there could not have been anything to respond to.

And the Terminator 2 plotline revolves around not only a later model terminator getting sent from after the time travel device was destroyed, but also allows the heroes to ultimately change the future by destroying the Skynet prototypes. That's an entirely reasonable, but ultimately incompatible version of time travel. If Sarah Connor can react to future events by destroying their causes in the present, then Reese could not have been John Connor's dad.

Terminator stands on its own. Terminator 2 stands on its own. Those two movies are completely contradictory and incompatible when taken together. The ending twist of one invalidates the ending twist of the other. And Terminator 3 is simply garbage.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

RobbyPants wrote:I assume it has something to do with Kyle Reese being John Connor's dad... who sent Kyle back in the first place... before he could have fathered him.
That's not a paradox, that's a closed loop. It's deterministic, but whatever.

The paradox is what would have resulted if the Terminator had succeeded. If Sarah Connor is killed, John Connor is never born, he can never distinguish himself as leader of the resistance, and Skynet has no reason to send the Terminator to kill Sarah Connor...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

To clarify, first of all, everything Frank said is 100% correct.

Secondly, the reason SCC does a pretty decent job of "fixing" Terminator (ignoring T3 and salvation of course, and pretending they never occur) is because what it does is:

MOTHER FUCKIN SPOILERS BABY!
It establishes a fixed loop version of time travel that includes all the events of T1 and T2 and itself, such that the actions in T2 didn't actually stop skynet, because they attacked the wrong skynet, and there are actually at least three skynets, one of which ends of being on John Connors side, one of which gets blowed up in the past, and one of which is the actual one that nuked everything, built terminators, time traveled, ect.

So the fix is by making everything a closed loop time travel system in which all the time traveling makes sense only as people acting out the prestablished script to bring them to where they are now in the war, and where they are now, is right the fuck about to begin the final phase, between John Connor, and some "good" terminators/skynet vs the evil ones.

Also, ironically, Cameron the Summer Glau terminator in the show, is like John Connor, in that she doesn't have a past or future to trace to outside the timeloop, she was never created, and will never be destroyed, she actually is sent back by John Connor, into the past, and then comes forward to a point a few years before Conner sends her back again.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I started typing out a "no, you're wrong response", based on the fact that JC COULD HAVE sent Arnold back in T2 because he knew that a T1000 tried to kill him when he was ten years old, but the T101 from T2 seemed caught off guard by, for instance, Todd and Janelle being killed, which means JC didn't program him with that information.

Okay, so how does T:SCC fix that?

Game On,
fbmf
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

You can get into an argument about how exactly the events of T:SCCCCCCC fixes the paradoxes, but I'm pretty sure they mean this:
Future John Connor (who sends Kyle Reese back in time) is actually present day (teenager) John Connor ... sent Forward in time
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:I assume it has something to do with Kyle Reese being John Connor's dad... who sent Kyle back in the first place... before he could have fathered him.
That's not a paradox, that's a closed loop. It's deterministic, but whatever.

The paradox is what would have resulted if the Terminator had succeeded. If Sarah Connor is killed, John Connor is never born, he can never distinguish himself as leader of the resistance, and Skynet has no reason to send the Terminator to kill Sarah Connor...
What you and Frank said makes more sense. I need to learn more about time travel! :p
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fbmf wrote:I started typing out a "no, you're wrong response", based on the fact that JC COULD HAVE sent Arnold back in T2 because he knew that a T1000 tried to kill him when he was ten years old, but the T101 from T2 seemed caught off guard by, for instance, Todd and Janelle being killed, which means JC didn't program him with that information.

Okay, so how does T:SCC fix that?

Game On,
fbmf
Because Originally t1 didn't have that knowledge, so when JC sent him back, he did it without that knowledge, even though he personally had that knowledge because that's how the script runs, and you can't change the past.

(which he may or may not know by this point, but he definitely knows that all the stuff that happens to his family is a necessary part of training him to be who he is now, so coddling himself as a kid might have negative consequences, so he doesn't do it even if he isn't aware that the real reason he doesn't do it is because it has already been determined.)