What are you watching these days?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Well, Bojack is playing Secretariat as a horseman in track shorts, and in the chicken episode they allude to the difference between food chickens and people chickens as being at least partially a lack of education in the former. I'd say in-universe he's an actual horse.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Bestiality is primarily defined by the non-sapience of the animal. Fucking a lion is bestiality, fucking a sphynx is xenophilia.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Blicero wrote:Bojack Horseman is probably the best show featuring but not focusing on bestiality ever made.
Just finished watching season 2 and I would agree, but seriously it is a good show. It definitely pulled me in with its characters. It hasn't gripped me to the level of Moral Orel but it is getting there.
Last edited by Leress on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Prak wrote:My problem with Arrow is that its Oliver is "Batman with a rap sheet" rather than JLU's snarky gentleman adventurer Green Arrow. I've been told it's actually somewhat comic accurate, but to me it's just jarring. I'm used to the JLU/Brave and the Bold kind of Green Arrow.
Yeah, he's pretty much a Batman expy. Still, as a Batman expy, I like him better than Batman as he's still willing to kill people once in a while even after he decides to go mostly non lethal that is (e.g. that time when Felicity gets taken hostage and has a gun to her head).

I tore up at the Joker scene near the end of Batman, Under the Red Hood and Batman just came off as a stubborn jerk. I like that Ollie doesn't suffer from slippery slope fallacy. It looks like future seasons will have a more mellow Oliver Queen. Also, the newspaper from the future in Flash suggests that Oliver will at some point adopt 'Green Arrow' as a moniker, so he'll probably become more like his other versions.

On a completely different note, Steven Universe is awesome.

However, the cat episode is IMO the most disturbing thing I've seen in a while, and I've seen AH's recent posts in the image macros thread.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I recently realised the second season of Orphan Black has aired a while ago, so I grabbed that and watched it over one or two sittings. The first season was amazing, and this one meets that level of quality. Really good stuff, and third season is just around the corner, so I'll need to pay attention for when that airs.

I'm pretty sure I've raved about it before (when I saw the first season, for instance), but in case I haven't: it's a well-made show about the lives of a number of cloned people who live wildly different lives. Along with crazy religious cults, megacorporations who aspire to own people, and all the usual stuff that goes along with that. It's impressive whenever two or more clones have a conversation together, as the actress has to do the old "film this in 2+ shoots, with you speaking with blank space" routine, and does it convincingly. Combined with the fact that the clones are different people with different lifestyles (and thus, hairstyles, outfits, sets of injuries and so on), you can actually forget they're played by the same person.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

radthemad4 wrote:
Prak wrote:My problem with Arrow is that its Oliver is "Batman with a rap sheet" rather than JLU's snarky gentleman adventurer Green Arrow. I've been told it's actually somewhat comic accurate, but to me it's just jarring. I'm used to the JLU/Brave and the Bold kind of Green Arrow.
Yeah, he's pretty much a Batman expy. Still, as a Batman expy, I like him better than Batman as he's still willing to kill people once in a while even after he decides to go mostly non lethal that is (e.g. that time when Felicity gets taken hostage and has a gun to her head).

I tore up at the Joker scene near the end of Batman, Under the Red Hood and Batman just came off as a stubborn jerk. I like that Ollie doesn't suffer from slippery slope fallacy. It looks like future seasons will have a more mellow Oliver Queen. Also, the newspaper from the future in Flash suggests that Oliver will at some point adopt 'Green Arrow' as a moniker, so he'll probably become more like his other versions.
I might go back and watch some more of it when I run out of other stuff.

However, the cat episode is IMO the most disturbing thing I've seen in a while, and I've seen AH's recent posts in the image macros thread.
Have you seen the birthday episode?

If not, GET READY.
Koumei wrote:I'm pretty sure I've raved about it before (when I saw the first season, for instance), but in case I haven't: it's a well-made show about the lives of a number of cloned people who live wildly different lives. Along with crazy religious cults, megacorporations who aspire to own people, and all the usual stuff that goes along with that. It's impressive whenever two or more clones have a conversation together, as the actress has to do the old "film this in 2+ shoots, with you speaking with blank space" routine, and does it convincingly. Combined with the fact that the clones are different people with different lifestyles (and thus, hairstyles, outfits, sets of injuries and so on), you can actually forget they're played by the same person.
Yeah, it's an amazing show (I need to look up the most recent episodes). The one part that fell short for me was the trans male clone. They could have done him a lot better, and it would have actually been a reasonable time to use a different actor.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Tatiana Maslany is very talented.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Started watching Shameless*. Pretty good. If very odd.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shameless ... TV_series)
Last edited by Prak on Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Prak wrote:

Have you seen the birthday episode?

If not, GET READY.
I wouldn't really call it disturbing. The cat episode was horrifying, but the birthday one was really really sad. Damn... :(
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei wrote:The first season was amazing, and this one meets that level of quality. Really good stuff, and third season is just around the corner, so I'll need to pay attention for when that airs.
I know everything is later in Ausfalia, but in Europe and North America the third season is already done. No word yet as to whether there is a Pollux or Helen project, but I'm still guessing there probably is.
Prak wrote:Yeah, it's an amazing show (I need to look up the most recent episodes). The one part that fell short for me was the trans male clone. They could have done him a lot better, and it would have actually been a reasonable time to use a different actor.
I didn't think that character worked for a bunch of reasons, and I'm pretty glad he doesn't really appear in season 3. They could have really gone somewhere with the character having a different gender identity than his sisters, but they did not. Structurally he's just another clone with shadowrunner skills and Sarah and Helena cover that as well as needs require. If a clone needs to do "espionage stuff" you have Sarah and if a clone needs to go on a rampage you have Helena. You don't really need a third criminal background clone unless you're going to have them be an antagonist or something. Tony lacked a narrative purpose and it's just as well he got sidelined.

-Username17
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I finished season 3 of Orphan Black. The first half was kind of rough, but the second half got rather better. The season in general did a decent job of cleaning up some of the more extraneous plot twists and characters that had accumulated over the first two and a half seasons. There were still some issues with murky motivations that never really got sorted out, though. I ended up liking both Ferdinand and Krystal more than I thought I would. I hope that Allison ends up being slightly more involved in the main plots, though. Her Weeds bit was fun, but it never felt particularly essential.

Apparently there are only supposed to be two more seasons.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

My thinking is that the Pollux project is related to the
creepy Neolutionist worm parasite thing
in the last episode. Pollux is frequently described as a divine twin of the mortal Castor, so I've been expecting it to go much deeper into extreme bioengineering territory. A Helen project would fit, but it isn't basically mandated by the naming conventions.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I've fallen in love with Phryne Fisher, Lady Detective. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is an Australian show, and I think it's a lot of fun.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

radthemad4 wrote: On a completely different note, Steven Universe is awesome.
Is this 3-year-old friendly? My spawn and I are nearly through Avatar and I'm looking for something else to watch with him that doesn't make me wish I had lobotomised myself by the time it's finished.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

On a note of new stuff to watch the Wackowski's Sense8 S1 was pretty good though it has the kind of plot that you dread will go down the rabbit hole as Heroes or Lost did
Last edited by ckafrica on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@ckafrica
Have you tried MLP:FIM yet?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

ckafrica wrote:
radthemad4 wrote: On a completely different note, Steven Universe is awesome.
Is this 3-year-old friendly? My spawn and I are nearly through Avatar and I'm looking for something else to watch with him that doesn't make me wish I had lobotomised myself by the time it's finished.
I don't know if a three year old would enjoy it, but I think it'd be okay for any age group. It's more episodic than Avatar, but there is an overarching main story and there are a lot of continuity nods so you should definitely watch them in order if you can. It also 'feels' more like a kid's show than Avatar, but is very mature at times despite still being goofy and hilarious. It's an awesome show. I highly recommend it.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Stahlseele wrote:Have you tried MLP:FIM yet?
I've lived in Vietnam for the past 10 years so I am a wee bit behind on all things media related. I tend to avoid anything which will result in me being harangued for tie in toys (I still haven't forgiven my mother for showing him Cars)I'll have to see if I can find a stream of it to see if I can tolerate it. Gravity Falls and Penguins of Madgascar have been okay but I have reached my limit on rewatches. Avatar has the advantage that I had already watched it 3 times before I succeeded in getting the rugrat hooked so I know I can handle any requests to rewatch.

@Rad

I've acquired the first season so I'll give it go.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have sent you a link
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Well, I'm not watching it yet, because of issue like the linearity of time, but...

Ash vs the Evil Dead
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Watched the Attack On Titan live action movie just now. It made a large number of questionable story changes, but I still don't regret watching it. And it had more Hange and Sasha got to imply her backstory, both of which are positive.

It's set in retro-future after a nuclear war with imposed technological controls on electricity* with muzzle-loading cannon but also trucks. Hange invents the maneuver gear during the timeskip, prior to which they apparently managed some kills with extremely generous use of explosives until they ran out of explosives and things to make explosives out of. Also, Mikasa does not make the initial evacuation but shows back up later with appropriate badass scar.

Given recent events in the manga, it's entirely possible that either the original setting is also after a nuclear war or this setting is not actually after a nuclear war
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Anyone watching The Magicians on Syfy? It's a decently entertaining urban fantasy that sort of feels like a grown up Harry Potter.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Anyone watching The Magicians on Syfy? It's a decently entertaining urban fantasy that sort of feels like a grown up Harry Potter.
Huh, that is the Magicians from Grossman... I doubt it can be as good as the books at what the books do. I hope they try to tell the same story but in a way that conveys different emotions. I'll probably watch it.

Edit: Admittedly, it has been a while since I've read the books. But I'm looking at the promo image on the website, and I see three girls and three guys.

You need a Quentin, a Penny, a Josh, and an Elliot. You also need an Alice and a Janet. I could see not showing Penny in the promo image, because he does mostly disappear early on... but then why do you have (presumably) a Julia when the same thing is way more true of her? If Julia goes to Brakebills, I'm going to be pissed.

EDIT2: Wholly fucking shit. I'm watching the first 4 minutes of the show, and already, I can say with some confidence, that this is completely fucking unrelated to the books. I know this character probably has the same name (I haven't heard it yet, but it probably is) but wholly shit this is fucking terrible.

Like, this is based on the books like the Revenant is based on a true story.

EDIT3: Spoilers for the first 12 minutes and how different and shitty it is compared to the books.
OH MY FUCKING GOD

THE MAGICIANS TV SHOW IS SO FUCKING GARBAGE

I'm not actually surprised, because it is on Sy FY, but it is based on a book series and they changed shit that there is literally no point to change.

Like the opening of the fucking book would have been just fine as the opening of the show, but they had to start by having him in a mental institution, even though he was a super kid who was going to Ivy League, and such kids would know that checking into a Mental Institution fucks their chances. I know the actual reason is so they could have him talk to a person about how he's sad and life sucks, but surely you can find some way to do that besides having him check into a fucking mental institution in a way that is completely out of character for every other part of him and also completely stupid.

Then they had to have a party scene, for establishing the relationship between the three main super Ivy kids even though having a fucking party is both something they don't do, and completely antithetical to their actual personalities. Because apparently having a scene as described in the books, with the three of them walking together would have been what? Too Boring? Fucking Kill yourself.

Then they modified the opening scene of the books, where he and his two friends go to an interview and Julia leaves them to it, and then he and James are both offered an envelope. They removed James, so it's just him and Julia, even though that makes no fucking sense, and she actually left before the interview so it was just him and the guy at the end, but instead of his one friend being afraid and trying to warn him off, but him going on to show his thirst for something novel, it has him being obsessed with fantasy while the girl he likes calls him a shithead for being stuck in fantasy not because she's afraid, like the guy was, but because she cares about him. Thus making him less interesting as a character, and her less interesting as a character, and failing to show that James was actually just as smart as him and the main difference was that Quentin wanted a different life and he didn't. You know, the thing that develops the main fucking theme of the book.

I already hate everything they have done with Quentin, but I'm going to hate this Julia soooooo much more.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Quentin raped, or at least helped to rape, a guy and spent half the first book regretting it because he had thus cheated on his girlfriend. If they never make him accessory to rape in the show, I'm going to like this version much more.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Kaelik wrote:
Prak wrote:Anyone watching The Magicians on Syfy? It's a decently entertaining urban fantasy that sort of feels like a grown up Harry Potter.
Huh, that is the Magicians from Grossman... I doubt it can be as good as the books at what the books do. I hope they try to tell the same story but in a way that conveys different emotions. I'll probably watch it.

Edit: Admittedly, it has been a while since I've read the books. But I'm looking at the promo image on the website, and I see three girls and three guys.

You need a Quentin, a Penny, a Josh, and an Elliot. You also need an Alice and a Janet. I could see not showing Penny in the promo image, because he does mostly disappear early on... but then why do you have (presumably) a Julia when the same thing is way more true of her? If Julia goes to Brakebills, I'm going to be pissed.

EDIT2: Wholly fucking shit. I'm watching the first 4 minutes of the show, and already, I can say with some confidence, that this is completely fucking unrelated to the books. I know this character probably has the same name (I haven't heard it yet, but it probably is) but wholly shit this is fucking terrible.

Like, this is based on the books like the Revenant is based on a true story.

EDIT3: Spoilers for the first 12 minutes and how different and shitty it is compared to the books.
OH MY FUCKING GOD

THE MAGICIANS TV SHOW IS SO FUCKING GARBAGE

I'm not actually surprised, because it is on Sy FY, but it is based on a book series and they changed shit that there is literally no point to change.

Like the opening of the fucking book would have been just fine as the opening of the show, but they had to start by having him in a mental institution, even though he was a super kid who was going to Ivy League, and such kids would know that checking into a Mental Institution fucks their chances. I know the actual reason is so they could have him talk to a person about how he's sad and life sucks, but surely you can find some way to do that besides having him check into a fucking mental institution in a way that is completely out of character for every other part of him and also completely stupid.

Then they had to have a party scene, for establishing the relationship between the three main super Ivy kids even though having a fucking party is both something they don't do, and completely antithetical to their actual personalities. Because apparently having a scene as described in the books, with the three of them walking together would have been what? Too Boring? Fucking Kill yourself.

Then they modified the opening scene of the books, where he and his two friends go to an interview and Julia leaves them to it, and then he and James are both offered an envelope. They removed James, so it's just him and Julia, even though that makes no fucking sense, and she actually left before the interview so it was just him and the guy at the end, but instead of his one friend being afraid and trying to warn him off, but him going on to show his thirst for something novel, it has him being obsessed with fantasy while the girl he likes calls him a shithead for being stuck in fantasy not because she's afraid, like the guy was, but because she cares about him. Thus making him less interesting as a character, and her less interesting as a character, and failing to show that James was actually just as smart as him and the main difference was that Quentin wanted a different life and he didn't. You know, the thing that develops the main fucking theme of the book.

I already hate everything they have done with Quentin, but I'm going to hate this Julia soooooo much more.
I stopped reading The Magicians about two thirds of the way through because the book got too depressing. Also because of the "boo hoo, we have phenomenal cosmic power, our lives are meaningless" shit.