Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Fight for the territories! :D
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Sorry to intrude on this, but I have a question on the general procedure here.

The way I usually play games of strategy with my friends is no holds barred -- actual cheating is a no-no of course, but backstabbing is perfectly ok if it helps you win the game. Sure, your reputation for honesty goes poof, but otherwise, no bad blood.

'We like this guy, so lets give him a chance' is a notion that would not normally occur to me, unless keeping him in the game improves my chances of winning.

Reading this thread I get the impression that the Den Way of Dom3 seems to be somewhat different.

Can someone shed a little light on this for me? I'd hate to commit a massive social gaffe just because of a difference in gaming culture.

Thanks, best, tenuki
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

Jimbo is a nice guy and funny. he also sits in the middle of the map and is comparatively feeble, so the fact that no one wants to kill him creates some stability in an otherwise overly psychodramatic game.

His having gone poof, if it stands means that everything goes even more insane for the forseeable and all our presumptively supereloborate diplo blood and tears goes to waste in a violent ffa,

Jimbo himself hasn't commented, so I'll wait on that before powering up the wave motion gun.

I'm on the outs right now for reasons that make no sense, so it might technically be good for me, but I still prefer Jimbo if he wants to play. It's been a very weird game, do not regard anything in this thread as normative.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Utgard has performed great services to the Chelmian people and have remained loyal allies.

However, for me the big reason why I'm okay with the rollback is because Utgard only went *poof* because of a rollback. In the original turn (where 4 people staled, including me) Utgard wasn't domkilled. It's less "giving Utgard a chance" and more "his turn got screwed because of a rollback".

Moreover, this is a largely newbie game. Most of the players don't share the compulsive need of many veteran Dom players to wage war at every opportunity. Nor the ulterior motive of extending peace just to get more off-chart gem gens.

If Utgard doesn't want to continue though, then I'm perfectly fine with the current setup with a big swath of free territories now available for the taking for Abysia, Marignon, Agartha, Chelms, and Caelum.

Ideally, this can be sorted out by a peace deal. More likely, there will be some kind of war.
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri May 13, 2011 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

By the way, we only have half a day to sort this out. If we don't hear from jimbo, I'm guessing he's in the "Let Utgard die" camp.

In which case official Chelmian position will be "let Caelum get Utgard", as this would be the course most likely to stave off the War of Utgardian Succession.

Because the alternative is either:

1) One of the four remaining major powers get Utgard, which will be intolerable for the three other powers that don't get a piece of the pie.

2) We split up the Utgardian terrirotories among the five powers bordering Utgard. But only one of us will get the capital - which could be intolerable for the other powers.

3) We just declare the Utgardian territories a free-fire zone.
Last edited by Zinegata on Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Well, in the absence of a peace deal we'll be moving into the only former Utgard province we border to create a buffer zone.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Post by TheNotSoEvilNecromancer »

Agartha shall be moving to create a similar buffer zone in the land formerly known as Utgard.
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

Caelum will follow the same course of action.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Chelms would like to announce that we will be taking Berganum (108) and will advance no further. Berganum, while an Utgardian territory, has long been sympathetic to worship of our god Merlin. It will also provide a buffer zone between Chelms proper and the former Utgardian heartland.

Chelms will thereafter allow the other powers to divide Utgard as they see fit. Chelms will only object if Agartha takes the Utgardian capital, as it will upset the current balance of VPs.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Korwin wrote:Dom kill is a valid tactic, so I would be against a rollback...
Yeah, unfortunately I agree. A complete n00b mistake on my part, and very well executed into the bargain.

If I have any say in the matter I'd favour flicking my territory to Abysia, otherwise I suggest you guys fight for it and add some fun back into the game :-)
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Zinegata wrote:However, for me the big reason why I'm okay with the rollback is because Utgard only went *poof* because of a rollback.
To be fair, I did vote for the roll back - I kinda feel that as I am one of the guys who votes to redo the turn, if I don't like how it turned out - such is life!

I'd like to think I've learnt a fair bit from this game, and its certainly been good fun, so count me in for the sequel :-)
Rabelais
Journeyman

Post by Rabelais »

I need an extension, please.

trying to decide whether and how to continue.

If this were a normal turn I could just fix my bloodhunting and hope not to get attacked, but this is not going to be a normal turn. I haven't time.

Hell with it, setting myself to AI. Less than 2 hours to do the most complicated turn of the game is not acceptable.

Might accept a rollback so I can do a proper turn, but if not that's fine.
Last edited by Rabelais on Fri May 13, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Sorry 2 hours was to short an notice...
How is everybodys opinion about an rollback.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Go and do it. I haven't looked at my turn.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

Do it.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I consent to all rollbacks. I don't look at turns right away and my turns don't take long and I would hate to see one of the big powers screwed by a deadline.

That said, I don't want to enable rollbacks when the real players don't think it necessary, so maybe put me down for a permanenet "Abstain."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm ok with rollback. Haven't looked at turn.
TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
Journeyman

I still think a general turn extension might be in order, it'd at least cutback on the rollbacks.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

TheNotSoEvilNecromancer wrote:I still think a general turn extension might be in order, it'd at least cutback on the rollbacks.
Its allready at 51 hours. Are really more needed?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

P.S.: Game was rolled back.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Do I still need to submit my old 55?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

If you don't want to change anything, you don't need to resumbit after a rollback, although doing so is a courtesy. Until you resubmit the website will be "waiting for your turn file" but if the deadline rolls around it will use the old version.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

We need to extend the turn, abbysia has not submitted with 4 hours to go. If Rabelais doesn't submit soon we need to start looking for a sub.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Abbysia did not submit a new turn. I think we should just call the game a draw. None of the leaders ever fought one another, so it isn't clear who would win in a confrontation and I have very little interest in playing one out while trying to pick up territory from a huge AI.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Rollback and give Abysia to somebody else.