Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Dom3: Revenge of the Den

Post by Korwin »

RevengeOfTheDen

Game-Status
Settings: Age: Late Age
Max Players: let’s see how much we can be.
Independent strength: standard, opinions?
Score graphs: On
Hall of fame entries: 15
Research: open to discussion
Special site frequency: 50 - 70, opinions?
Money, Resources, Supplies: standard
Random event frequency: standard
Renaming: On
Number of starting provinces: standard (1)

Mods: none (open to discussion)

Map: One of those?
I would choose one in the 15-20 province range for every player.

Rules:
  • Diplomacy: Machiavellian* (aka. don’t trust)
  • Choosing of the Nations.
    Make an Priority list (minimum 3 nations).
    If nobody has the same nation on the same priority you get it. If more than one has it on the same priority the nation gets randomly assignet by someone (me or if I’m a possible candidate someone other). Repeat with the next priority until all players got an nation assigned.
  • more wanted?
* That is so I have less work to do.
It would suck to get to the trouble finding out, who lied to whom. Especially if I’m still in the game.
(As for me, I’ll keep my word as usual.)
Players:
  1. Calibron
    • Ulm
    • Ryleh
    • Pangea
  2. cthulhu
    • Patala
    • Atlantis
    • Mictlan
  3. Zinegata
    • Man
    • Ermor
    • Ulm
  4. jimbojones1971
    • Utgard
    • Tien Chi
    • Pythium
  5. Gnosticism Is A Hoot
    • Marignon
    • Agartha
    • Caelum
  6. angelfromanotherpin
    • Ermor
    • R'lyeh
    • Pangaea
  7. K
    • Gath
    • Mictlan
    • Bogarus
  8. Korwin
    • Atlantis
    • Mictlan
    • Midgard
    • R'hley
  9. Orca subbed by Orion
    • T'ien Ch'i
    • Arcoscephale
    • Atlantis
  10. Shiritai
    • Atlantis
    • Pythium
    • C'tis
  11. Akula
    • Marignon
    • Bogarus
  12. TheNotSoEvilNecromancer
    • Agartha
    • Pangaea
    • Arcoscephale
  13. Rabelais
    • Abysia
Last edited by Korwin on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

In for Utgard, secondary would be Marignon, tertiary would be Atlantis. I am fine with a high special site frequency. Standard research. I would also like to use the Mark of the Champion mod. I think it makes the arena more worth fighting for.

If there are people that do not want to play, maybe one of them could be sent a copy of any agreement just so that there is something impartial to fall back on. Hopefully that would avoid the pages of boring complaining and name calling.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I will play - but 70 is fucking retarded for special sites. I like 45-50.

edit: re: Pacts - it just boils down to what is aggression. I am totally okay with if declare globals fair game or not in advance, and let us also define

A) If blood sacing to push someones dominion

B) Sending assassins (not scouts) into someones territory, unrest generators etc

C) Casting the 6th global

D) Casting a 'nasty' global

E) Casting a game breaker global (unless it already falls in D)

F) Casting remote attack spells

(Imho, yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes)
Last edited by cthulhu on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I need to clarify something about the multiplayer server (will send a PM to Korwin later), but I'd like to go for Ermor, Man, or Ulm.

Am okay with just about any setting that doesn't deviate wildly from the norm (75% Sites is kinda borderline for me, but workable).

cthulu->

I suggest that for pacts, people should work it out on their own on a per-negotiation basis.

If two sides agree to an NAP without a strict set of guidelines, then the guiding principle should be that both sides should not intentionally commit any hostile action against the other. So no assassins, no blowing up Globals, no full-scale invasions. Any intentional action to harm an NAP partner can be declared an act of war.

This is how an NAP works in pretty much every game, even outside of Dominion.

If you're not sure whether or not the other party will see your action as a hostile act (i.e. You want to expand to a province that borders your NAP partner), then send a message asking for a clarification BEFORE you send in the troops.

Honestly, I think a lot of the problems in the last game could have been avoided if people talked and made justifications before they acted, rather than making justifications after the fact.

Ignore the entire above section if you really just plan to do a sneak attack.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

Zinegata wrote:I suggest that for pacts, people should work it out on their own on a per-negotiation basis.
What he said. I'm not interested in trying to act as a family lawyer when two nations have a disagreement over what their treaty meant.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

bwahaha, I'm in favour of your definition. I generally just send a message text body of "NAP 3?" for this game, so I can type more words as required.
jimbojones1971
Journeyman

Post by jimbojones1971 »

OK, my nation list (in order of preference):
  • Utgard
    Tien Chi
    Pythium
Gnosticism Is A Hoot
Knight

Post by Gnosticism Is A Hoot »

So I bought this game after reading the discussions here and at SA, and I feel just about ready for my first MP game.

I have no particular preferences re: settings, except that we don't play with CBM. Diplomacy arrangements look fine to me.

Nation preferences -

1) Caelum
2) Agartha
3) Marignon

EDIT: Changed order of preferences.
Last edited by Gnosticism Is A Hoot on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The soul is the prison of the body.

- Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

1) Ermor
2) R'lyeh
3) Pangaea
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm willing to give up Ermor for Man. I forgot about that faction's 3-4 hour turns :P.

(That being said, we MUST have Ermor in this game. It ain't proper grimdark LA without an actual zombie apocalypse!)
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Zinegata wrote:I'm willing to give up Ermor for Man. I forgot about that faction's 3-4 hour turns :P.

(That being said, we MUST have Ermor in this game. It ain't proper grimdark LA without an actual zombie apocalypse!)
What are you talking about? My turns as LA Ermor take me maybe one minute.
(OK, I'm only owning my home castle at the moment :rofl: )
internet_superbot
Apprentice

Post by internet_superbot »

hey Akula, glad you got your computer back up and running. Playing Lanka was pretty fun, even if I did lose an army :)
K
King

Post by K »

So:

1. Gath

2. Mictlan

3. Bogarus
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:1) Ermor
2) R'lyeh
3) Pangaea
Wow, you must love getting punched in the nuts. Past about turn 20, LA ermor and LA Rlyeh are liquid pain of the nut punching variety.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

What the hell, I'll see how much I've learned.

By preference order:
T'ien Ch'i
Arcoscephale
Atlantis
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

cthulhu wrote:
2) R'lyeh
3) Pangaea
Wow, you must love getting punched in the nuts. Past about turn 20, LA ermor and LA Rlyeh are liquid pain of the nut punching variety.
I've never played LA at all before, so I just picked the ones that seemed interesting.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I'd honestly recommend trying LA ermor in SP before committing, it really is honestly a huge pain in the arse wrangling your undead.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

1) Patala

2) Atlantis

3) Mictlan

Really, there some tactical nation choosing here, only really intrested in Atlantis if I don't have to deal with LA ryleh.
K
King

Post by K »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
cthulhu wrote:
2) R'lyeh
3) Pangaea
I've never played LA at all before, so I just picked the ones that seemed interesting.
You picked the three freespawn nations in LA that kill population. Basically, people very quickly either kick those guys in the nuts or give up on winning the game altogether.

So basically you've declared war on the world by choosing any of those nations.

I hope you get Ermor because I love taking LA Ermor for their giant home site. Just remember to get Death on your God or else you can't get mages at all (LA ermor has NO national recruitables and kills the living, so you need to use national summons to get researchers).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

K wrote:You picked the three freespawn nations in LA that kill population. Basically, people very quickly either kick those guys in the nuts or give up on winning the game altogether.

So basically you've declared war on the world by choosing any of those nations.
Awkward.
K wrote:I hope you get Ermor because I love taking LA Ermor for their giant home site. Just remember to get Death on your God or else you can't get mages at all (LA ermor has NO national recruitables and kills the living, so you need to use national summons to get researchers).
Yeah, I got that much from the between-turn tips. I'm really looking forward to trying out something that deviant from the usual experience.

Having tried it out a little in SP, it does seem like it could be a bit of a pain... but it's also a little bit like my birthday every turn, when I get to see what crazy new gifts the ground has spat up to serve me. My difficulty is in choosing between a Prince of Death or one of the Liches. Any advice?
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Ermor has a terrible late game (being a mid game power house), which the liches help with. The PoD is about supercharging your early game into a power mid game.

The PoD makes the early game diplomacy situation a bit easier too.

Edit: The master lich is probably the best lich.
Last edited by cthulhu on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

PoD is a classic SC chassis and a Lich is a classic rainbow pretender for site searching. Considering that as LS ermor you don't have national mages, I'd go Lich so you can get gems at all.

Remember that there are two liches. One is the magic one with low costs for new paths and one is the one with great combat stats and high costs. The magic one (the blue robed one) is the good one in my opinion.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

^ The Lich K is talking about is called the Master Lich, the other two are called the Lich Queen and.. something. It might just be lich?
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

The last one is just Lich, yes.

Master Lich is probably the best choice for Ermor - as he's immortal and can easily be a rainbow mage (expanding Ermor's poor magical diversity) with Ermor's typical scales.

Just have 4 or 5 Death and 2 or 3 in all other magic paths (blood included). And Ermor can resolve a lot of possible late-game issues,
Last edited by Zinegata on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

After reading about the previous matches and messing around some with SP I'd like to give MP a shot.

The settings are fine with me, and I don't have a preference for the map.

1. Atlantis
2. Pythium
3. C'tis