Mage: The Ascension, Technocracy and science

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

quanta
Journeyman

Post by quanta »

I've also already repeated that these understandings of "wellbeing" are in fact statements about what is good for people, which is something that the scientific method as applied by a whole horde of scientific disciplines does a better job of defining and evaluating than basically any other paradigm out there. If you disagree, feel free to suggest an alternative.
I simply don't believe "what is good for people" is sufficient for a system of morality. You need to be able to order things in terms of "goodness". And on top of that, many moral and ethical choices will involve figuring out how to weight each individual's "well-being" in relation to the whole. These two points in the model are simply points where you basically make shit up while only partially constrained by empiricism or reason. And these are the points that I would consider closest to what morality ought to handle. And in some sense, when we do science, a pretty good chunk of our models are "shit we made up" and was chosen that way partly in order to make things easy enough to work with and partly because we just feel that part is "right". Or because we like to wank off to symmetry or pretty math. Whatever. So I'm not fundamentally against that, but normally I don't consider that part of things to be something as scientifically proven or ironclad as the charge-to-mass ratio of the electron or the local structure of spacetime (numbers or models which are so incredibly accurate you can basically treat the underlying reality as exactly obeying these things).
I think the disconnect here is that you're forgetting that things which are knowable in principle (AKA things with a "correct" and "incorrect" answer) are not always currently known in fact, and that we can make reliable conclusions from incomplete knowledge. This latter part is especially important, and deserves elaboration.

Example: We cannot actually make a list of all wishes people have made this year while blowing out the candles on their birthday cakes any more than we can state all of the possible ways of achieving wellbeing. That doesn't mean we can't make statements of truth based on our admittedly-incomplete knowledge. For instance, it's definitely untrue to say that all of this year's birthday wishes were for advances in the development of solar-powered electricity generation, were generated by the firing of precisely 100,000 neurons, and were all made in Latin. We don't actually have to have all the data to be able to rule this out, any more than we have to have run all the calculations to start ruling out certain behaviors, customs, and mores as being absent from our list of ways to achieve wellbeing. We know enough about ourselves and our world to start doing this, even if we don't have a finished model or set of models. I'm not sure why that's so controversial.
Correction, you can sometimes make reliable conclusions from incomplete knowledge. Problematically, your reliable conclusions may not suffice from a practical standpoint of what the fuck to actually do.

My problem is there is simply no clear way to scientifically do some things even with perfect knowledge. If it's unclear to you what I'm talking about when I talk about the discount rate or behavior towards risk, I can specify more, but these are the type of parameters that I feel are both tightly related to morality, and at the same time not something you can determine an "optimal" moral value for, because it's just a value judgement as to what is preferred. Even if your predictive power is perfect, that doesn't tell you scientifically whether it's more moral to set a discount rate of 10% or 20%, but the discount rate will have a pretty strong effect on what the most moral and efficient policy ought to be.

Now, I don't think it's on the level of "unable to do/predict scientifically" like say... certain aspects of quantum mechanics. When I make a measurement on a quantum system in the state psi1+psi2, there are cases where it is literally impossible to tell whether I'll get psi1 or psi2 because the universe is literally fundamentally random on that level. The scientific answer becomes "you can't fucking do that".

Seriously though, uncertainty or worrying about a lack of ability to gather data is not my disconnect here. I've done two years of ecology research. I've read books on handling science from a Bayesian point of view of comparing the models we have because none of our models is quite ideal. Error bars in ecology are fucking huge. The amount of shit you don't get to measure is huge.

There's nothing controversial to me about saying "in certain limited cases where we specify a certain good and use this model and all the data we can gather, we can see with 90% certainty investing X more in education has higher payoffs to the overall health of the individuals in our population than spending X more on hospitals using U.S. and western European countries spending from 19YY to 20ZZ as our baseline" (Not saying this is true; also assuming X is fixed). But I don't buy that that constitutes scientific morality, because I have to specify moral decisions going in. Even stepping back and trying to avoid that, there are simply points where I don't see any scientific way of picking the ideal parameter value (like the discount rate) or set of goods to be measured (do we measure only tangible things or do we also try to come up with values for things like "freedom" or "happiness"?).
K
King

Post by K »

Orion wrote:Self-reported happiness in Brave New World would be off the charts. Not everyone is convinced that's the same thing as well-being.
Yes, I suppose fictional characters living in a parody designed to critique America and the very idea of happiness would have very high reported happiness.

Of course, since we live in the real world we actually can get honest and accurate answers from people who have no reason to lie. There is actually a whole subset of science designed to get good data from people. I mean, if Kinsey can get good numbers on the percentage of people fucking dogs, I think a simple happiness survey should be pretty accurate.

But to an anti-intellectual, there can be no knowledge because it makes their bullshit values meaningless, hence the whole point of this thread: the very idea of empiricism is anathema to the willfully ignorant.
quanta
Journeyman

Post by quanta »

In response to K, I'm already aware of that sort of thing, but it's pretty preliminary. And problematically, it confirms the somewhat obvious that happiness is... not as tightly tied to material well being as one would hope. It doesn't help that I don't consider happiness a goal to be achieved through moral or ethical behavior though.

In response to Orion, after reading a Brave New World, my thought pretty much was "if that was really possible, that's actually arguably a pretty good world to live in". Seriously, if you realize the bullshit you just get sent to an island with all the awesome thinking people? Sign me up. Then again, I also thought the book's intentional exaggeration of human behavior and government effectiveness meant you couldn't take it as a serious model of how to do things.

And K, I could have sworn that a lot of shit Kinsey measured turned out to be horribly flawed because he has poor choices of who to sample from the population. Something like sampling the male prison population to try to extrapolate the level of homosexuality in the whole population. Which... doesn't work because well... sexuality can be flexible, especially when there aren't many eligible women around.

And people don't answer honestly enough for surveys to be a sufficient basis on their own, that's why so much effort is spent in microeconomic/game theory studies trying to blind the participants to the actual goal of your study.

Not to mention, people can be honest while demonstrably telling you two logically contradictory things or sets of preferences. It's a huge problem when trying to apply the rational interpretation of game theory to people.
K
King

Post by K »

quanta wrote: And K, I could have sworn that a lot of shit Kinsey measured turned out to be horribly flawed because he has poor choices of who to sample from the population. Something like sampling the male prison population to try to extrapolate the level of homosexuality in the whole population. Which... doesn't work because well... sexuality can be flexible, especially when there aren't many eligible women around.

And people don't answer honestly enough for surveys to be a sufficient basis on their own, that's why so much effort is spent in microeconomic/game theory studies trying to blind the participants to the actual goal of your study.

Not to mention, people can be honest while demonstrably telling you two logically contradictory things or sets of preferences. It's a huge problem when trying to apply the rational interpretation of game theory to people.
I'm not saying that Kinsey was some perfect scientist; I am saying that the very fact that he could any data on something you'd have every reason to lie about is something to say for surveys.

Heck, the fact that we now know that Kinesey's surveys were somewhat flawed is incredible. The fact that we have learned techniques to trick people into giving us good data is testament to the ability of science to solve problems and provide answers.

Anti-intellectuals want "truth".... an entirely bullshit concept. Science can only give knowledge, but it is that knowledge that can actually solve the problems that religion and philosophy can't like how we should live and what goals we should pursue.

But "truth?" There is never going to be perfect truth. Knowledge will always have holes in it and contradictions, but that's no reason to discount it.

When it comes to science, the perfect should never be the enemy of the good, especially when the good builds televisions and vaccines.
Last edited by K on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I've had melancholic depression for most of my life. In the last few years, I've been getting better more often then I got worse. Every time my condition improved, I said to myself, Aha! This is what good food is supposed to taste like! This is what sex is supposed to feel like! This is what being content after a day's work is supposed to feel like! I must be happy now!

And then a few weeks later I would be bowled over by the realization that dizzying heights of beauty and joy existed whereof I previously had not dreamed. For instance, the cafeteria I visited 5 times weekly for the past year had windows, through which came sunlight. I had never noticed.

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical about the value of happiness surveys--because I would have rated my happiness "8 out of 10" at every point in that process.

EDIT: Or to put it intellectually: You can only get useful data from a survey if the repondants understand the question you're asking them. Concepts like "salary" are pretty fucking unambiguous. "Race" or "ethnicity" are sometimes ambiguous, but you can still get good results by survey. But who knows what the fuck "happiness" is?
Last edited by Orion on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
quanta
Journeyman

Post by quanta »

I get making TV's, better education, etc. I even get modeling shit like what's better given you have a certain set of preferences.

I'm just not seeing how shit like "how much should we value future generations compare to our generation?" is necessarily something you measure or even want to measure scientifically.

I view that sort of thing as more of a facet of evolutionary theory anyways, so first you need to explain why people have evolved to discount the future in a particular way or treat risk in certain ways. But strictly speaking, I don't believe there's any optimal value for some questions from a logical or scientific perspective. It's a matter of preference like putting ketchup on your burger on not. Just a problematic matter of preference because different people will conflict in how they want everyone else to behave.

Which can be fun to model, but I don't necessarily think of modeling optimal strategies for playing games indicative of what's moral behavior.

Not that evolutionary models of cooperation and/or social mores aren't interesting. But I think they more slaughter the idea that there's some sort of absolute moral behavior rather than give an answer to what that behavior is.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm trying to say that I think some things are arbitrary in the sense that it's analogous to how I simply want some things. Science could be useful in telling me how to get those things and even why I want them. But I'm not seeing wanting it as something determined scientifically or logically. I think large chunks of morality are sort of floating in the same sort of weird place. You can in principle determine why those morals arose. You can in principle determine how to act in best accordance with those morals. You can even say which set of morals will prevail in a conflict all else being equal (or not). But that isn't really the type of morality I think a lot of people are searching for. Because sometimes the optimal way to get what you want is going to be what is basically agreed upon as being immoral by pretty much everyone ever.
Last edited by quanta on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Orion wrote:I've had melancholic depression for most of my life. In the last few years, I've been getting better more often then I got worse. Every time my condition improved, I said to myself, Aha! This is what good food is supposed to taste like! This is what sex is supposed to feel like! This is what being content after a day's work is supposed to feel like! I must be happy now!

And then a few weeks later I would be bowled over by the realization that dizzying heights of beauty and joy existed whereof I previously had not dreamed. For instance, the cafeteria I visited 5 times weekly for the past year had windows, through which came sunlight. I had never noticed.

You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical about the value of happiness surveys--because I would have rated my happiness "8 out of 10" at every point in that process.
Yeh, one of the ways you get good data is to account for things like people with serious mental-health issues.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Since several people have chimed in saying Brave New World didn't sound so bad--I agree with you! When I said "not everyone", that wasn't code for "me." But it is controversial and you're supposed to disapprove of it. I don't know of any argument you could make that would require someone to change side though. Also, I should make clear that I'm not trying to say that ethical philosophy is impossible. I have plenty of ideas about how to do it, for which I will start another thread tomorrow. Preview: You can't name or know the final good, but you can deliberate about the relative importance of instrumental goods.

K: Diagnosable depression is just an edge case, though. Neurotypical people revise their definitions of "happiness" and "satisfaction" all the time. It's a cliche line: "x experience will teach you the REAL meaning of "x emotion/sensation/virtue."

Basically, this is the "how do you know that colors look the same to you as they do to me?" problem. Except that with colors it doesn't matter because you can train everyone who isn't colorblind to use the word "blue" in such a way that differences of opinion are rare, and you can check multiple people's opinions of the same object. With "happiness" though, you can't get a second opinion on someone's life, and it's pretty clear that people don't use the word the same way. For fuck's sake, some people associate happiness with "contentment", some with "excitement", and others with "fulfillment"!
Last edited by Orion on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Orion wrote:
Basically, this is the "how do you know that colors look the same to you as they do to me?" problem. Except that with colors it doesn't matter because you can train everyone who isn't colorblind to use the word "blue" in such a way that differences of opinion are rare, and you can check multiple people's opinions of the same object. With "happiness" though, you can't get a second opinion on someone's life, and it's pretty clear that people don't use the word the same way. For fuck's sake, some people associate happiness with "contentment", some with "excitement", and others with "fulfillment"!
There is a science to doing surveys to get good data, and one of the ways is to explain in detail what you are asking. It's not like they say "Are you happy? (Y/N)".

Read up on the subject. Your objections show that you don't understand how behavioral science is conducted.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Could you direct my reading, then? I'm not an expert by any means, but neither am I totally unlettered. I took Psych 101, then read Stumbling on Happiness. I also took stats and know a bit about survey design.

Most of the objections I've voiced on happiness research come from that book. If the guy is a known crank, I'm open to being convinced, if you can show me that social scientists in general think happiness can be measured.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

I'm going to take objection to saying that science provides answers that philosophy can't. The scientific worldview is a subset of philosophy - the fact that you're valuing knowledge and rationality and the scientific method at all is part of a philosophical attempt to make sense of the world.

Philosophy being full of scholarly oxen these days is no reason to disrespect the field.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Vnonymous wrote:I'm going to take objection to saying that science provides answers that philosophy can't. The scientific worldview is a subset of philosophy - the fact that you're valuing knowledge and rationality and the scientific method at all is part of a philosophical attempt to make sense of the world.

Philosophy being full of scholarly oxen these days is no reason to disrespect the field.
Kant says this post is wrong. Not just a little wrong, but totally and completely wrong.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Brave New World is a stupid argument. People who bring it up in serious discussions about quality of life fall somewhere on the spectrum between ignorance and disingenuousness. The fact is that the reason we don't all become heroin addicts is not because of some inherent moral imperative to avoid drug use or even fear of the law. We don't do it because heroin addicts are miserable people.

The human mind actually normalizes itself to persistent stimulation. Constant endorphin excess only makes you happy for a while. Pretty quickly, that normalizes and failure to maintain those levels (which your body can't even do) causes you to feel miserable. Opiate addicts don't surf from high to high, they surf from normality to normality with painful and debilitating crashes in between. As far as we know, life without diversity of experience actually can't be good. No matter what you pump into the water.

But taking drugs that slightly improve peoples' overall outlook on a massive scale is actually quite likely to be something that is simply done in the future. I don't think it's especially out there to suggest that civilization is superior with open access to coffee and chocolate, and even now there are a number of scientists who think that there should be an FDA recommended allowance of Lithium.

-Username17
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Xenologer wrote:You should tell all those doctors out there that working for the "health" of their patients is too fucking amorphous to be worth their time.
I'm sure that the doctor who treated my father several years ago would have loved that "out." He had massive (I mean to the point where the crystals would ooze out of his skin) gout and started getting heart problems. The gout medicine would cause more heart problems, the heart medicine would increase the gout problems. On the one side was DEATH. On the other side was massive fucking pain.

Or how about the doctor that starts reading that the tests he has been relying on is actually resulting in a large number of both false positives and false negatives. Does he continue the test, and if so how can he biew the results if either answer could be wrong?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

The thing I find possibly objectionable about Brave New World isn't the drugs or the sex, it's the enforced ignorance and the genengineered stupidity.

Mind you, I'm not *certain* either of those is bad, but I'm suspicious.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It is not possible to "maximize health" any more than it's possible to maximize your car's engine. That's especially true with the WHO definition. You can improve health in any given situation (which is much more art than science) or you can maximize QALYs (which does maximize at least one aspect of health), within arbitrary constraints. That's exactly the same as saying you can improve an individual engine (freshly changed oil is better), or that maximize horsepower within arbitrary constraints.

Happiness and wellbeing seem similarly impossible to directly optimize.
Don Strudel
1st Level

Post by Don Strudel »

As a result, I like Awakening's objective reality better.

As opposed to the spheres being arbitrary constructs of the Council of Mystick Traditions, the Arcana and the associated practices are actual laws of physics that the Mulians/Angels/BrainPowerd/Anti-Spirals/whatever discovered through trial and error. So the scientific method works, and the only reason sleeper science is wrong is lack of data.

The best part is the continual search for grimoires. Mages do not automatically know the full applications of the Arcana, so they either have to experiment themselves or copy other mages' research notes.

Hilariously, the Null Mysteriis, from Hunter, are essentially split into two groups. One group tries to categorize the supernatural according to mundane science (they're portrayed as hopelessly misguided). The other actually uses the scientific method as applied to supernatural phenomena, which has allowed them to discover entirely new laws of physics and branches of science.
Prak
Serious Badass

Re: Mage: The Ascension, Technocracy and science

Post by Prak »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Don Strudel wrote:Any criticisms of how the Technocracy tackles science?
Well, the authors of the books seem to think that manipulating fire until lightning is so tame that ordinary people can flick a lightswitch and have the lights come on just about every time is some sort of brutal repression. It's very weird.

The Technocracy overthrew the Celestial Fucking Chorus, giving people freedom of religion, clean drinking water, and electric light. And despite bringing in more freedom and longer, happier lives... they are the villains. For no adequately explained reason.

-Username17
"But they're the man, man! They're keeping down our expression!"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If the Technocracy are supposed to be the villains of WoD, then what's with them continually undermining their 1984-ish regime with the introduction of technology that can also undermine their totalitarian grip? You could say that some plucky upstart is releasing the tools of SCIENCE to the masses, but who would this person even be if their opposition are anti-science?

Even in Shadowrun, the things that make the setting an arguable dystopia has little to do with science and technology. Rather, it's unique and unpredictable disasters (magical or having analogues to the real world) and the unchallenged accumulation of power in hierarchies.

While we're on the subject, is Shadowrun really that bad of a place to live? I wouldn't volunteer to live in that setting because it's as dangerous as fuck, but I could see Shadowrun becoming a proto-Star Trekian utopian in less than a generation if people got their shit together. I can't say the same for almost any other TTRPG setting.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

Who says that technology is undermining their grip? I don't know about you, but I currently have a camera pointed at me as I type that can be used to spy on all my actions (hint: it's in my laptop).

The sad fact is that technology is as disempowering as it is empowering. It takes specialized knowledge to operate, build, and repair, and that keeps the power in the hands of the people who can do that. Heck, some of it is impossible to even build without major factories and other corporate resources and impossible to repair by even a skilled expert (try fixing your iPhone or a broken flash drive).

As for Shadowrun, I think that living in an arcology is actually pretty nice as long as you are low enough on the totem pole to not have your boss/co-workers engage in any corporate warfare on your ass. The fact that barbarian tribes live near your home and supernatural threats can get inside the arcologies is a bother, but otherwise seems a pretty low threat.

It's basically like living in the really nice part of Mexico City. As long as you don't get kidnapped, the fact that you live twenty minutes from the world's largest and most brutal slum is not even a consideration that crosses your mind.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

I have, in the last few years, emerged with a reading of setting material that basically says the Ascention War was kinda a sham to begin with. Basically, as I recall the third edition Mage book, right after they talk about the end of the Ascention War and how the Technocracy 'won' it, they go on to say that despite 'winning' the Technocracy was rather baffled to find that bits of technology they try to inject into reality keep getting rejected, even with the Traditions neutered and all their research saying this should be acceptable now.

On top of that, (I can't offer you book and page references for this, I apologize), I recall reading that the atomic bomb did not come out of any Technocratic program, and was 100% sleeper science, and how this scared the ever living crap out of them. The reason for this was probably along the lines with their stated policy that no supernatural agency was directly responsible with any of the horrible things that happened during World War 2 (In order to keep from "trivializing tragic events" even though I can point you at a book that says the Inquisition started because one Toreodor vampire nudged a particularly pious clergyman into taking out a rival for him/her. But I digress.) At the same time, take these together and it pretty well suggests that the Sleeper paradigm is, was and forever will be the dominant paradigm in the World of Darkness, and the best any school of magic (Technologically based or otherwise) can do is make non-binding recommendations. Hell, maybe not even that.

Either way, it's entirely possible that the Technocracy is just as delusional as everyone else. It's not like there's a shortage of precedent with WoD factions claiming they are King Shit, after all.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

Even if you accept the Technocracy's propaganda that they are the ultimate source of scientific advancement it's still possible for technology to be created by other people.

Once the Technocracy has caused a certain amount of science to be acceptable to the masses sleeper scientists can create technology using it.

Since the NWO is a department in the Technocracy they might not be able to vet work being done in other departments. Iteration X may have developed the internet to allow their AIs more influence in the outside world (or whatever) without realizing or caring that it would give the men in black a much bigger workload.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Also, modern day science is getting too far advanced of everyday thinking, this is leaving openings for the Virtual Adepts, and the Sons of Ether to come in and do crazy shit, that people just.. buy. Science fact and science fiction are slowly melding, and people just.. shrug and accept some of it.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yep, in effect it's not particularly different from what the Stormlords are up to in After Sundown.
bears fall, everyone dies
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

I've been reading my friend / new roommate's old copy of Technocracy Assembled: Progenitors and it makes me to find one of those New Ager holistic-medicine assholes and stab him to death with his own quartz crystal. I'm sort of afraid to check if my roommate has the Iteration X or Virtual Adept books.