Tome game, Skype/Maptools, Weekend game.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Tome game, Skype/Maptools, Weekend game.

Post by Kaelik »

So, I have found myself with a more regular and open schedule once more, and I know I'm not going to get anyone else to DM a Tome game for me ever, so I am now setting up a game which will be over Skype and/or maptools, on either Saturday or Sunday, each week.

What I need from you is players at that time, playing a level 6 game that will be taking place on one of the lower planes.

You need to be able to show up on time all the time, and be able to talk over skype/install maptools.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I'm interested, and meet one of your two criteria (sometimes I get sent on travel for work, leading to loss of weekends).
Could you tentatively put me at the bottom of your list?
traverse
Apprentice

Post by traverse »

I'd be interested. I'm good for weekends (Sunday up until 9 PM EST, at which point I leave for work.) I've played through maptools before, great program.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

What timezone?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Blasted wrote:What timezone?
Um... Central most of the time. US eastern the rest. Since we don't have a time, that's... sometime between night and day in Australia.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

I can swing this as long as the schedule's not too weird for Mountain timezone.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I'm down. I'll probably bring Andrew Jackson of gingerbread fame back with minor tweaking.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So, I have approximately 4-5 people interested, so you all get in apparently.

Go ahead and start with what types of characters you want to play, and what when is good.

Probably just use 32 PB for characters with standard Tome/Tome Errata rules, say 6 minor items.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Alright, my guy is updated. In case anyone is wondering, here's the gist of my character:

He flies around on a huge sized flying centipede either charge smiting things with a lance for large damage or using a boneblade kasuri gama to crowd control with DC 21 slow effect rider on top of possible smites.

Basically, I can handle mooks without rolling dice because of smite and everything else I just force saves vs slow on until they try to hurt me.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You may want to drop or at least Pokeball often, the Centipede, seeing as the game will start in Pandemonium for a while, and there is underground, tight spaces, and the ability to run on walls.

traverse
Apprentice

Post by traverse »

Darn, I was hoping to try out my Exultant, which is also an aasimar and divine-esque. I can figure out another combo if that's stepping on toes.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Not sure why you think you can't.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So anyway, You will be a group of drafted adventurers being sent deep into Pandemonium to hunt for signs of some specific artifacts. Specifically, you are looking for a Sarcophagus with distinctive markings in a lost language. Your employer has not revealed why he wants it, or what he suspects it is, but he has hired many such teams to search the depths for this device, and he believes that it will be surrounded by structures with similar markings.

I would really like confirmation, characters, and ideal times from all of you as soon as possible, in an effort to get started next week.

Also, because Tome characters are way more powerful than CR, and classes range from 70-100% same game test, don't expect me to abide by EL levels.

Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

I feel like being powerful without putting a lot of effort into optimization. So I think I'll just be a Wizard.

Even though it's traditional to play D&D late into the night. I find that playing as early in the day as you can stand fits much better with things like a job and social life, so my vote goes for late morning/early afternoon.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Early afternoon on saturday or sunday is best for me. Traverse, I don't even know what your proposed character does.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Re: Tome game, Skype/Maptools, Weekend game.

Post by Mask_De_H »

Kaelik wrote:I know I'm not going to get anyone else to DM a Tome game for me ever.
Aw, not even me? The dude who kept your last Den game alive?

;_;

I'll float around in reserve if someone drops out.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
traverse
Apprentice

Post by traverse »

Anytime until Sunday night is good for me. I'm used to reshuffling my sleep schedule for weekends.

ubernoob wrote:Traverse, I don't even know what your proposed character does.
I'll admit, this is my first game in over a year, so my character's pretty much what it says on the tin (and certainly not an Andrew Jackson powerhouse O_o). Right now it's single target concentration, with small CC, skill/emergency healing, and possible bluff face for the party. If there are any glaring errors on my sheet, feel free to point at them. I'll get a character desc. on the sheet today. If my magic items need to be more iconic, that can happen.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

traverse wrote:Anytime until Sunday night is good for me. I'm used to reshuffling my sleep schedule for weekends.

ubernoob wrote:Traverse, I don't even know what your proposed character does.
I'll admit, this is my first game in over a year, so my character's pretty much what it says on the tin (and certainly not an Andrew Jackson powerhouse O_o). Right now it's single target concentration, with small CC, skill/emergency healing, and possible bluff face for the party. If there are any glaring errors on my sheet, feel free to point at them. I'll get a character desc. on the sheet today. If my magic items need to be more iconic, that can happen.
After looking up the class, I still don't know exactly what your effective reach is (either your entire line of sight, which is stupid, or twenty feet, which is less stupid, or twenty feet if and only if you burn a swift action, which is totally sane). And forcing a fort save vs daze once per round is pretty useful.

But seriously, how does the reach shit work? That's not clear at all in the class.

Sidenote: Andrew Jackson is not a powerhouse. He's just really, really hard to kill.
Last edited by ubernoob on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The way I understand it, it's everything within 20ft all the time, without the action.

However, I'm going to overrule the last line about never being countered by darkness effects.

I'm going to say spell level equal to half Exultant level, and it will be surpressed/countered by equal or greater level darkness.

So if you are level 6 and run into Blacklight, then they cancel each other out, and you have to spend a swift action next round bringing it up.

Or, if you are level 5, and Blacklight comes out, you just can't do anything with that ability inside the area of the Blacklight.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Apparently we are going to be playing starting about 1PM Central time on Sunday, going for a few hours.

traverse
Apprentice

Post by traverse »

The business about darkness effects is fine. It's really just a carry over from when more of the later class skills were dependent on floodlight being active, so I should have killed it myself. And yeah, it's 20'. I'll go ahead and bold that line in the beacon desc.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Are we using skype, or maptools? I'll need to download and learn how to use whatever.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

We are using skype for talking, and Maptools for maps. I'm still learning maptools well enough to map things so, the maps tomorrow will be exceedingly simple, hopefully getting better later.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hmm, so I am afraid I must postpone this game temporarily. It will probably be moving to Saturday in the short term, IE until after the superbowl.

That's right, fuck you, I'm from 'Merika.

Also, if anyone knows how to set up the Maptool server so that you guys can join, let me know, and PM me your skype names.

I don't feel too bad about this, since only two people have characters, or have said they are in to any significant degree.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I woke up at a sane hour for nothing? Fuck you, I'm going to watch the game an drink beer. In america.