Hilariously Bad (and Good) Fanfics

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

MLP Fiction
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/117706/ ... d-estrogen
It's 21 Chapters with 101250 Words all in all. I have read it completely in one sitting and i think it's somehow wrong to laugh at this story as much as i did.
On the other hand, if you can't laugh at it, something must be horribly broken inside of you i guess.

It's the first part of a Trilogy.
The second part is in the works and can be found here
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/128185/ ... d-airships

It's basically taking MLP, setting the mane six in their early 20's and introducing puberty. Read: sex, drugs, DDR and much swearing.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/50 ... Natural-20

Continues to retain my interest. I liked the laughable wizard security in today's chapter.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is awesome. I just binged on it completely from the beginning to the current chapter. Thanks for the link :)
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6443866/11/Wings-of-Anemos

I liked the Golden Sun games, and this presents a reasonably entertaining sequel to the second. Does a decent job of giving people personality and using psynergy creatively.

EDIT: I'm on chapter 11 now. Kinda hoping that Alex's grand motive for power doesn't turn out to be resurrecting departed family members like the dialogue is suggesting, it would make him much less interesting.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/294722/e ... truly-done

yay!
reading will commence soonish *nods*
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

Overlady is a crossover between Overlord (computer game series about being a BBEG) and Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero (fairly generic fantasy anime series). It eclipses both sets of source material to forge something more interesting - and far funnier - than either. Apparantly Terry Pratchett's actual daughter Rhianna worked on the script etc. for Overlord and it's sequels; however, this fic resembles the best of Pratchett far more than any of those games ever did.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

The Game of Champions. A Pokemon story based on a mix of games, TV and comics, which while a bit pretentious at times, is full of awesome and beautiful prose.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

GreatGreyShrike wrote:Overlady is a crossover between Overlord (computer game series about being a BBEG) and Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero (fairly generic fantasy anime series). It eclipses both sets of source material to forge something more interesting - and far funnier - than either. Apparantly Terry Pratchett's actual daughter Rhianna worked on the script etc. for Overlord and it's sequels; however, this fic resembles the best of Pratchett far more than any of those games ever did.
I was pretty skeptical at first. I'm not particularly familiar with either of the 2 works being used as inspiration, and a few starting chapters felt pretty tedious. But it started getting pretty good midway through, and I think I got good entertainment value for my time overall.

Thanks for the recommendation.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

Since Whateley Academy hasn't had a proper update in months*, I've started reading some of the fanfiction.

Round and Round is about a high-school student who finds out he's a power mimic after imprinting on a supervillain that robbed a bank he was in. This includes duplicating the power that makes her look like a supermodel. She saves his life, and more stuff happens. It's the only completed story on this list.

Absinthe is an ongoing story by the same author. The main character here is another young man who finds out he's a mutant. It's been an interesting read so far, and is apparently intended to connect to Round and Round later on.

Speak Softly and Carry a Big SCYTHE! is a point-of-view story for one of the canon characters. Scythe is a rather amoral man with the ability to manifest bullet-proof robes and scythe-like blades. The story picks up during the 2006 Halloween invasion and follows his (non-canon) actions during and after it.

Red Card is a crossover with a robot from El Hazard the Magnificent World ending up stranded in the Whateley Academy universe. She ends up as a ward of a superhero and does her best to integrate into society. I just spent the last few hours reading it. Only passing familiarity with Whateley Academy is required, and I enjoyed it despite knowing absolutely nothing about El Hazard.

*: The site itself hasn't been updated since April due to technical difficulties, but there are newer stories on the forums. The most recent was posted in mid-January.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

I like this one.

As far as hilariously bad, I consider the HP fanfic https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4240771/1/ ... issed-Hero a finely-crafted monument to awful fanfics. I don't want to ruin anything by giving stuff away but every several chapters I found myself looking back and shaking my head at how naive I had been several chapters earlier when I thought the roller coaster had reached its peak. If My Immortal is a trainwreck, Partially Kissed Hero is a feature-length 3D film of such a trainwreck, complete with millions of dollars of special effects.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

>Perfect Lionheart

Well, THERE'S your problem right there. Is this the one where Luna, Harry and Hermione get faerie powers and it turns out that Luna has a relative who was part of every fucking modern fiction story ever?

Or Dumbledore with his 11 Horcruxes?

If so, then I made the mistake of reading a large chunk of that cancerous garbage. Really, the guy was a total douchebag.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think the worst HP fanfic was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 2009.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Meikle641 wrote:>Perfect Lionheart

Well, THERE'S your problem right there. Is this the one where Luna, Harry and Hermione get faerie powers and it turns out that Luna has a relative who was part of every fucking modern fiction story ever?

Or Dumbledore with his 11 Horcruxes?

If so, then I made the mistake of reading a large chunk of that cancerous garbage. Really, the guy was a total douchebag.
Yup.

Sadly, it's been a couple years since it updated. I wanted to see what came after Magical Tower Defense. I kept thinking it was the worst it could get and Perfect Lionheart kept proving me wrong...
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Embers, an Avatar the Last Airbender fanfic A Zuko centric AU that was interesting as fuck. Lots of worldbuilding.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Meikle641 wrote:Embers, an Avatar the Last Airbender fanfic A Zuko centric AU that was interesting as fuck. Lots of worldbuilding.
Quite nice, I recommend it also. Embers puts a lot of thought into the cultures of the different nations and the problems that would arise from those differences.

In a similar vein is The Dragon King's Temple, a AtLA/Stargate cross.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

There's some new Harry Potter and the Natural 20 chapters since last time I checked.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:There's some new Harry Potter and the Natural 20 chapters since last time I checked.
I think the author said new chapters on Fridays. :)
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
GreatGreyShrike wrote:Overlady is a crossover between Overlord (computer game series about being a BBEG) and Zero no Tsukaima/Familiar of Zero (fairly generic fantasy anime series). It eclipses both sets of source material to forge something more interesting - and far funnier - than either. Apparantly Terry Pratchett's actual daughter Rhianna worked on the script etc. for Overlord and it's sequels; however, this fic resembles the best of Pratchett far more than any of those games ever did.
I was pretty skeptical at first. I'm not particularly familiar with either of the 2 works being used as inspiration, and a few starting chapters felt pretty tedious. But it started getting pretty good midway through, and I think I got good entertainment value for my time overall.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Familiar of Zero is fairly popular among fanfic writers because of the easy crossover mechanism (since the story starts off with the protagonist being summoned from Earth). Overlady is one of the few that doesn't take advantage of this to introduce an overpowered character to it's Harry Potter meets the Thirty Years War setting.

Anyway, I'll recomend The Power of a Name.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10026099/1 ... r-Series-1

I'll also mention HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Not because it's good, it isn't, but because it's insane.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I showed y'all my Dilbert fanfic, right?
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I'll recommend Diane Castle's work. She is probably the best author of Whateley Academy, but if you don't want to wade through some of the worse pieces there, she also has work on Twisting The Hellmouth.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/57 ... Natural-20

Ah, the lot of a 3.5 Monk is a sorry one.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So every farmer has to have Know(Nature) trained.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

//

Double post?
Last edited by Wiseman on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.