Dominion of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Dominion of the Den

Post by Korwin »

...The game is on...
(Game status)

Players:
sorted by alphabeth

1. Akula - Lanka - currently subbed by internet_superbot
2. angelfromanoterpin - Vanheim - defeated
3. cthulhu - Atlantis
4. Endovior - Helheim
5. FrankTrollman - Niefelheim
6. jimbojones1971 - Hinnom
7. K - Mictlan - defeated
8. Korwin - Sauromantia - defeated
9. name_here - Arco - defeated
10. Orca - Tien Chi - defeated

Quotes (Who wants to play what):
K wrote:I'd be up for another game. Maybe EA?
K wrote:We should probably check if Frank also wants in.

As for choices, I'll take Lanka, Sauromatia, and Mictlan in that order.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm interested.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:So it seems we're doing this again...

Vanheim
Abysia
Caelum
name_here wrote:EA sounds like a good idea to me.
name_here wrote:I'd have to say:

T'ien
Arco (ever since the demo I've wanted to actually magespam with them)
Mictlan
name_here wrote:I'll take Arco, then.
Kaelik wrote:If enough other people don't want to play, I'll be willing to be the shitty nation everyone beats up on.
Orca wrote:I'd join the game if there's a space free. For EA I'd take T'ien Ch'i by preference.

(Ed) For my top 3: T'ien Ch'i, Mictlan, Abysia
Akula wrote:My top three would be, in no real order:

Lanka
Caelum
Ulm
Korwin wrote:Oh 3 choices

Sauromantia
Niefelheim
Lanka or Mictlan?
cthulhu wrote:I kinda want to play a water nation, but all the water nations appear to be bad.
FrankTrollman wrote:Vanheim
Niefelheim
Caelum

It's a cold day, I'm in a cold mood.

-Username17
Endovior wrote: That said, I'm in.
R'lyeh
C'tis
Sauromatia

Settings:

Renaming on
Hall of Fame 15
Site frequency: Standard or +5%
Rest default
No Mods
Hosted on the Llamaserver. (FAQ)
cthulhu wrote:EA
Stock everything except:

Hall of Fame 15
Renaming on.

If people want to fight to the death over it, we could increase site frequency by 5%.

Not longer relevant...
Korwin wrote:I like the look of Galadia 1.1,
but its probably too Big 177/40

A Pangean Earth has 108/31
that would be 15,42 for 7 land nations and 15,5 for the underwater nations.

From those posted by Cthulhu I like Urraparrand best, but Llamaserver says 145 land provinces and even with only 135 I get 19,29 per land player (7 land 2 underwater correctly?)
cthulhu wrote:Okay having hugged and made up, lets talk maps.

I like these:

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Land_of_Legends

131/18 (16 land provinces per player 18 for a single sea player.)

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Land_of_Milk_and_Honey

135/20 (16 land provinces per player 20 for a single sea player.)

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Urraparrand_with_harbors

135/35 (16 land proviences per player and 17.5 per sea player)

Cradle of dominions (Stock map

199/23 ( 24 per land player, 23 per sea player assuming 1 sea player)

Thoughts?

Questions:

Do we want to recruit more players?
If yes, how much? (I would like one of the bigger maps... Opinions?)
Timetable?
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 18 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Eh, let's just go with the guys we have and start it before christmas.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Domination of the Den

Post by Kaelik »

Korwin wrote:10. Kaelik maybe he changes his mind? He doesn’t do so bad in the other game (in comparision to me, he does very good…)
More like, better than everyone. But no, not changing my mind, will be staying out of this game.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Kaelik wrote:
Korwin wrote:10. Kaelik maybe he changes his mind? He doesn’t do so bad in the other game (in comparision to me, he does very good…)
More like, better than everyone. But no, not changing my mind, will be staying out of this game.
What game is this?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So the contested first picks are:
  • Lanka - K and Akula
  • Vanheim - Angel and Frank
Uncontested first picks are:
  • Rlyeh - Endovior
  • Sauromatia - Korwin
  • Arco - Name
  • Tien Chi - Orca
Cthuhu didn't actually come up with a final answer.

Now we look at second picks. K's second pick is Sauromatia, which contests with Korwin's first and his third is Mictlan. Akula's second choice is Caelum.
On the other conflict, Angel's second choice is Aysia and Frank's second choice is Niefelheim.

Seems fairly clear.
  • Lanka - K or Akula
    • Mictlan - K
    • Caelum - Akula
  • Vanheim - Frank or Angel
    • Niefelheim - Frank
    • Abysia - Angel
  • Tien Chi- Orca
  • Sauromatia - Korwin
  • Arco - Name
  • Rlyeh - Endovior
  • Atlantis? - Cthulhu
So... two coin flips. I call Tails.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Akula wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
What game is this?
Game we are playing on the shrappers board. I am failing hard fucking core.

I'm undecided about races. Playing altantis with EA ryleh on the table seems like a recipe for failure.. and I don't even like them much, so I'm experimenting with other options

If anyone has a great idea, fire away. I like MA ermor's hordes of undead, but LA ermor is just fucking annoying, I like decent scales.

Edit: I hate playing Hinnom because of the fucking pop eating shit, it annoys me intensely. I'm not a super aggressive player by nature, so bless rush powers are not really that exciting.

I was thinking EA pangea in a way? Are they any good? Helhiem was another option.
Last edited by cthulhu on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

EA Pan is a lot like MA Pan, and since MA PAn is pretty decent, you would expect EA Pan to be as well. Your Pans are very slightly different. They have 2 less hit points and are worth one more research point each. More importantly, every single one of them is a split between a PAn and a Pandemoniac. This means you generate Maenads for your blood hunters, but it also means tat you are stuck with blood on guys you want to use for other stuff. More importantly, they hardly ever get Earth 3 and never get Death, so your god is even more on the hook for bootstrapping you into other paths.

Plusses: You generate Maenads with Blood Hunters, have faster research, and have a much easier time making Earth Stones and Demon Knights.

Minuses: You don't have the option of building heavy armor troops, you don't get a death suit (which means no Carrion sideline), and you have to wait for Construction 4 before you can make Dwarven Hammers unless you have an Earth God.

Definitely playable. Rather on the naked side until you get Construction and Blood to 4.

-Username17
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

cthulhu wrote:Edit: I hate playing Hinnom because of the fucking pop eating shit, it annoys me intensely. I'm not a super aggressive player by nature, so bless rush powers are not really that exciting.

I was thinking EA pangea in a way? Are they any good? Helhiem was another option.
EA pangaea is much like MA Pangaea, but with a little more nature and blood in exchange for a bit less earth. While nobody would call them the strongest nation in the EA, they certainly have some things going for them, like how they are probably the nation best suited to some kind of blood sac dom kill strategy if you have a high dominion. Frank can probably better elaborate on the general strengths of the nation, I have tried to play Pan, but it has never really turned out well.

Helhiem is a bless rush nation, sorta. Vans are awesome and you have them, plus you get the not terribly research efficient glamour thugs as your secondary commanders. Research is kind of a big problem, but you have really good access to three very strong paths, and some access to blood. They have nice long game magic. You could also go for scales with a minimal blessing (and some magic diversity), your infantry is pretty hardcore early on what with being glamoured and all. Helheim is generally considered a powerful nation.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

So could somebody give me a rundown of what this game is about and how you play it? Is it similar to civilization at all?
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

The best solution is to read.. THIS

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3302467

It's a something awful screenshot Let's play that provides a good overview of the game.

In summary: It is kinda a bit like civilization, but not really - the closest comparison is master of magic. Infact, it is to Masters of Magic, as Masters of Magic is to civilisation
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Wow. Epic thread.

I've been reading it all day, and I'm still reading it, and it's still awesome.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

This game seems like it is rather... random. Are there any balancing factors to it?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dominicius wrote:This game seems like it is rather... random. Are there any balancing factors to it?
Marvel vs Capcom 2 style balance.

Everyone can do so many broken things that counter each other in complex ways so that it actually does favor smart people who know what they are doing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote: So... two coin flips. I call Tails.

-Username17
Should I flip the coin? Tails is the backside?
That would be the head on an Euro.

*flip*

Got an Head.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you got a head, then I lost and I get Niefelheim and he gets Vanheim. I don't think I get to get my first pick if I lose the coin toss.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

On the other side is an 1...
No tail there (is on an Dollar really a "Schwanz"? Babelfish translates tails into Endstücke. I interpreted that as backside...)

Anyway, I'll edit the first post.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In coin flipping, there is always a tails. There is one side with a head, and then whatever is on the other side is by definition the tails. Now Euros are a weird coin, because the thing on the head isn't static. Sometimes it's a person, sometimes it's a building, whatever. The thing with a 1 and a map is generally considered tails.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Fuck it, give me EA pangea.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

So what map guys? As soona s we decide that, I can host up a game on Llamaserver. I was thinking Parangos as updated by Llamabeast - has 119 land and 16 sea provinces, but the sea provinces are in two 'bits' so Ryleh will need teleport to get to the second pond.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi
Did you see it there?
I found 3 versions of the map.
116 Land and 19 sea provinces

The standard version has no fixed starts.
The version from Llama has 4 fixed land nations starts, no sea nation.
And the last version has dead seas.

I liked the Land of Legends map you posted earlier.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

It's fun, but might be a bit good for water nations.

I meant this one: http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthre ... t=parganos

But yes I had goofed on the number of provinces :) That one does not have that many contiguous sea provinces, so it is more likely to be 'fair' - though we might have to restart if the Sea dude ends up in a puddle.

Edit: Wait, it has fixed starts for 8 + 1 so it's exactly what we want.
Last edited by cthulhu on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Well, it's okay with fixed starts.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Hmm.

Actually, would you mind if I changed my nation at this point?

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I've been playing around with EA R'lyeh quite a bit lately, and come to the conclusion that my one good trick isn't really all that impressive against human players.

With Sauromatia being called for, I'd default to C'tis, but it doesn't take too long to conclude that I don't actually want to play a cold-blooded nation against Caelum, Vanheim, and Niefelheim. Somehow.

Would there be any terrible objections if I switched to Helheim?

Aside from the fact that, y'know, we might need a different map?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

K and I need a third party to flip a coin for us. I've got heads.

@Endovior: I think you could make a water nation work on that map with good planning. You would be able to get a large, secure, and completely site searched empire quite quickly. EA R'lyeh is weak, but being the only underwater nation is a pretty competitive advantage
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

If you switch to Helhiem, I will switch to Atlantis, and we can cuddle and make up.

Also in some very thinly veiled self interest, and the fact that I'm finding rock the cradle impossible as Ryleh due to heavy dominion pushing, I'll vote for Land of Legends as well - though that is likely to be just as push-y.