Dominion of the Den

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

If you had bane charms, wouldn't you go sit at his cap?
internet_superbot
Apprentice

Post by internet_superbot »

internet_superbot presumes that some previous existential state had sent Niefleheim a message demanding some massive chunk of territory. I_S has no memory of this, although admittedly it does sound like something he would do.

In consequence I fear that strife and hate will finally convulse this land, so soon after the peaceful colonisation of this virgin mictlan wilderness.

"A messenger has arrived from Niefelheim.

Well, you did make me laugh. On this turn we finally took the last fortress of the third god we have slain. We took the last province of the fourth god we have defeated. And Lanka comes to us asking for neigher mercy nor peace, but territorial concessions. That is hilarious. The sheer hubris and stupidity together are difficult to even comprehend. So here's what we're going to do: we're going to play a game where we pretend thtat Lanka didn't do something Quite so monumentally suicidal.

We're going to pretend that you had a non-aggression pact and then delivered a formal declaration of war. Instead of what you acutally did which is demand the heart of Helheim's empire after the most powerful nation on the planet had already carved it out and ate it. So given our pretenses, you can have 3 turns. After that, we will kill every monkey and smother all your temples in a layer of life draining snow." -Hoogles

yet if one markata can kill a god, what might 50 do? a hundred?

the earth itself must tremble.
Last edited by internet_superbot on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Well... I can't call that anything but an unmitigated victory. I just killed off a sieging army composed of eleven kitted-out thugs supported by sacred giants. As it happens, Gifts from Heaven really doesn't care how pretty your gear is. 150 damage drops basically everything, and my pretender can cast it all day long.

I got some pretty sweet loot off that, too... if anything, I'll be even more prepared next time. In fact, as it happens, I probably have too much awesome magical loot, now; I'll no doubt have to start selling this stuff off.

Oh, sure, I don't actually have the infrastructure to hold Frank off indefinitely, but I certainly can make him pay dearly for it. He can bluster all he likes, but I rather doubt he's got the forces to both conquer me and fight off all his enemies at once.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Nice.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, I lost 6 thugs. That's about four thousand gold for me when you include the line troops. It hurts. I mean, that was almost a turn's production, all things considered. I'll definitely have to sit back and produce a different set of tactics to overcome Skelespam + Gifts of Heaven. But yeah, I have a retooling in development for exactly that situation.

But there is something I want to take issue with:
Endovior wrote:Oh, sure, I don't actually have the infrastructure to hold Frank off indefinitely, but I certainly can make him pay dearly for it. He can bluster all he likes, but I rather doubt he's got the forces to both conquer me and fight off all his enemies at once.
What the hell are you talking about? I mean seriously, what dream world do you live in? I killed all my other enemies. I own Arcocephale, I own Tien Chi, I own Vanheim. Those people aren't playing any more.

It's just you, Lanka (who demanded that we give up all the Helheim properties west of the river, so we'll be going to war on that front soon), Atlantis (NAP), and Hinnom (NAP). That's seriously it. That's everyone left in the whole world. Who exactly do you think constitutes "all of my enemies". It's just your little two province empire and presumably Lanka as soon as they stop drinking.

-Username17
internet_superbot
Apprentice

markata armies marching north!!
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Keep us informed!
internet_superbot
Apprentice

another brilliant, if expensive, victory for Hellheim, the Jarls sent scampering. Forgive me for not having many scouts, but does Niefleheim actually win any battles? Indominitable markata hordes pre-eminent! (*acc. to army charts ;) )
Last edited by internet_superbot on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I would love to see a screenshot or 2 when the markata legions enter battle. Ever since I read about a game where monkey spam wore down a tartarian I've been pretty curious to see massed markata in action.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

I consider taking down two of my globals a breach of my NAP, so I have attacked the perpertraitor :D
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

cthulhu wrote:I consider taking down two of my globals a breach of my NAP, so I have attacked the perpertraitor :D
Taking down one global is not a breach of any NAP. You are a pact breaker and I will never ally or make pact with you in any game at any point in the future. A 3 turn NAP isn't "don't do something I didn't want you to do" it's "DON'T ATTACK MY STUFF" you fucking twat.

Actually, you know what? I'm so angry, that I'm going to quit. We play games to have fun, and since only two out of five people left in this game around fuck heads, I see no reason to continue.

I have no interest in playing the "all dishonorable fuck heads" game. I still have the strongest position, I've been really nice and explained shit. But you guys are dicks, and it's not fun any more. Fuck off ad die.

-Username17
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Mhmm, it's possible lanka was responsible for the second dispel.

If this was the case, I will hand all your territory back, pay all the gems and money back and attack him instead.

However, I do consider taking a global down a breach of a NAP, and bounced that off other communities that agreed.
Last edited by cthulhu on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

cthulhu wrote:I consider taking down two of my globals a breach of my NAP, so I have attacked the perpertraitor :D
Even if taking down globals did give justification for breaking your NAP, which it fucking doesn't, and you are retarded for thinking so, the fact that you declare so random action that wasn't prior specified "a breach of NAP" but don't announce that when it occurs, and instead, declare it only after you've activated a surprise attack against the person who isn't attacking you because you have an NAP and isn't expecting an attack because you have an NAP...

That's beyond fucked up. Just admit that you are turning on Frank because you have nothing to gain in game from continuing to abide by your earlier pact, and so you are choosing to break the pact for that reason. Don't throw up a stupid bullshit pretense.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I quit the game.

There are five people left. Internet Superbot is a douche nozzle, Endovior is nearly dead and basically out of the running and also a lying asshole, and you're a pact breaker. Only Hinnom and myself are left who bothered to acquit ourselves honorably.

I play to have a good time. I won't play if that's all who are left. Declare yourself the victor, fight amongst yourselves, or what fucking ever you wan to do. I am not even going to bother Telling you what my next gen strategy was.

There are consequences to being a jerk and these are them. Congratulations, you "win".

-Username17
internet_superbot
Apprentice

lol my odds were only 50/50 on the ctrl q ragequit.

I'm happy fighting. you've been running off at your mouth. Now that you actually have to fight for something, you fold w/out even the merest puff of a response. Are you going to tear down your castles now?

Didn't you have a 3 turn NAP w/ Hellheim?

as to dispelling, um lol? I have s1, and no gems. Either cthulhu fucked up, or you overwrote one (which is legit and not a breaking of a NAP imo), and dispelled the other (which is purely aggressive and clearly a violation).

edit: also hellheim whupped your ass fort battle after fort battle. and you haven't even tried to touch me yet. You bit off a bit more than you could chew, boy :)
Last edited by internet_superbot on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
internet_superbot
Apprentice

also, in what way did I not acquit myself "honorably" lol? By laughing at your friend k's antics? ;)
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Extended hosting time and turned off quickhosting.
Do we search for an sub?
IMHO would be sad if the game died at this stage...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Korwin wrote:Extended hosting time and turned off quickhosting.
Do we search for an sub?
IMHO would be sad if the game died at this stage...
No, I set myself to AI. Atlantis broke a NAP because they "forgot" that w had a discussion about me casting Gift of Health. That's 3 of 4 other players in the game not negotiating in good faith. If I wanted that kind of random aggression, I'd play against the computer.

I set my position to AI. People can fight it out without Niefelheim or they can abandon the game. I honestly don't care.

-Username17
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

But the turn did not get hosted, so it would be still reversible.

So if the other players want to continue, we will sub you.
AI is not on the table.

I want votes from the other players still in the game:
1. Declare Atlantis winner
2. Sub Niefelheim.

1 or 2?

Edit: Hell, even if the turn got hosted, player going AI would be one of the (the only?) reason to do an rollback...
Last edited by Korwin on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

To be clear - I honestly did forget, and have offered to make you whole on that basis. Here is the relevant conversation for everyone else - It wasn't even clear that frank was going to cast it where going to cast it tbh, which is why it didn;t stick in my mind:
[23:42] Frank Trollman: Before there was a raiding presence in my Arco territories, so having Niefel Giants walk West was independently valuable
[23:42] Frank Trollman: But now that we caught and killed them, that's not true any more.
[23:43] FuriousPuffin: helhiem is pretty fucked
:44] Frank Trollman: I don't know that they are really trying any more.
[23:45] Frank Trollman: They can and probably will kill a few more Niefel Jarls, but I don't really care.
[23:45] Frank Trollman: I make 1 a turn.
[23:45] FuriousPuffin: then the ultimate showdown commences
[23:45] FuriousPuffin: or lanka gets stabbed in the head
[23:46] Frank Trollman: Or we break NAP with Hinnom.
[23:46] FuriousPuffin: yeah
[23:46] Frank Trollman: I don't know, sooner or later we're going to get our air economy off the ground, so to speak
[23:46] FuriousPuffin: lanka is softer
[23:47] FuriousPuffin: yeah?
[23:47] Frank Trollman: Lanka seems pretty weak
[23:47] FuriousPuffin: ah, then you have free aviation assault range
[23:47] Frank Trollman: Yeah. I have lots of air gems.
[23:47] Frank Trollman: Lots.
[23:47] Frank Trollman: But the turn before the Abductor could make an Air Bag, he got Mute from age.
[23:47] Frank Trollman: Now he's just Air 2.
[23:48] FuriousPuffin: ouch
[23:49] FuriousPuffin: I wish there was a shield you could make with water magic :\
[23:49] Frank Trollman: I would make a lot of those.
[23:49] FuriousPuffin: same deal
[23:50] Frank Trollman: Some people just double frost brand it.
[23:50] Frank Trollman: I understand
[23:56] FuriousPuffin: okay turn is in with gems enroute
[
There is only one other occasion you have mentioned the gift of health to me, which was in this useful advice:
[20:48] Frank Trollman: Yeah
[20:49] Frank Trollman: Disease caused by old age is resistant to normal repair, but other disease is not.
[20:49] Frank Trollman: Gift of Health, Arco priestesses, The Chalice, Fairy Queens
[20:49] Frank Trollman: Also recuperation, Mothers of Serpents, stuff like that.
[20:49] Frank Trollman: Mostly it's in Nature Magic
The direct upshot of which was *I* cast it, because I wanted to heal my basalt kings!
Last edited by cthulhu on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

I shrug.

I just killed off a bigger Niefel army, but at great enough cost that I really don't have another battle like that left.

I'll vote for an Atlantean victory, yes.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Seriously Frank? You're finding fault with Atlantis for betraying you? What was he supposed to do, sit around nicely waiting for you to kick over his sandcastle?

I could be wrong, but I think most Denners would share my assumption unless otherwise specified that "diplomacy" rules apply--that is, what happens in game stays in game, and people are expected to betray you when they need to to win.

It's not total anarchy, in that lying about things which happened in the past is considered douchery everywhere I know, which I think supports your grievance against superbot et al. But, lying about what you intend to do in the future is totally kosher in every stategy game environment I've ever played in.
internet_superbot
Apprentice

Orion wrote: lying about things which happened in the past is considered douchery everywhere I know, which I think supports your grievance against superbot et al. But, lying about what you intend to do in the future is totally kosher in
WTF? who are you asshole? go fuck your mother. Please name one thing I have "lied" about to frank or even borderline delusional case K. You and Frank have both slimed my rep w/out even the merest scintilla of evidence. I've offered to let anyone see the full diplomatic correspondence w/ K, and have published the relevant parts, and have never engaged in any negotiations whatsoever w/ Frank.

oh, in conclusion, screw off. You and Kaelik, who, when Frank attacked Endovior w/out formally breaking off his NAP (endovior brought this up; frank did not deny it and only justified his actions), came in to the thread to lambast Endovior and then, when the exact same thing happened to Frank, came into the thread to express his outrage! outrage I say! that such a thing could happen in a game. It is pretty clear at least that Kaelik has his tongue stuck so far up Frank's ass that he's frenching frank's mom.

three things we know:

1. K is a lying piece of shit, and a likely borderline personality. This is easy to verify by looking at our correspondance.

2. Frank is the biggest baby to go wah wah wah all the way home that i've ever seen in a game of Dominions. He has the largest and strongest postion, and now that he has to put up or shut up, he runs away like the proverbial little girl, ruining the game. This is a wargame for god's sake. If you can't stand fighting except when the odds are vastly in your favour, stick to single player.

3. Endovior may or may not have been honest in his dealings w/ frank, I have absolutely no way of knowing, but he has massively improved his play, and has performed quite impressively against overwhelming force. Did he start crying and take his ball when he encountered opposition? No, he stuck to it and fought to the bitter end, gaining some great victories. kudos deserved.
Last edited by internet_superbot on Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
internet_superbot
Apprentice

the game is incomplete, so there can't be a real "win" in the classical sense. I'd say declare a 4-way victory w/ the remaining (endovior deserving a part even though he is basically dead for his great defense), while acknowledging that Cthulhu is clearly primus inter pares.

I'm pissed because I had a beautiful army ready to school big baby trollman, and now all that effort is basically wasted. Coincidence that he got his first look at my forces and then ran? I report, you decide.
internet_superbot
Apprentice

as well, here are the possibilities as to what happened to Cthulhu's Earthblood global.

1. Cthulhu is an idiot and the caster somehow immediately died and Cthulhu didn't notice this.

2. Me w/ maximum s1 or hinnom w/ s2 (my turn files are open if someone wants to check) somehow magically dispelled it.

or, 3. Frank is prevaricating straight out of his huge ass. He had the clear motive (in fact he was the only one w/ real motive), and ability to dispel. No one else had either.