Dom3: The pond of Ry'leh, the archer deer hordes

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Dom3: The pond of Ry'leh, the archer deer hordes

Post by Judging__Eagle »

In my current SP Dom3 game, I'm in a very odd position; my 7 or so territory "pond" is seperated from the rest of the entire ocean by about.... 12 or so territories.

Across each of these indie land nations; the indie forces range between 30 and up to 100 or so. The Initial expansion and invasions were done entirely without ranged support, a horrible prospect, but one undertaken regardless of the initial cost. I can push for the water faster than I can research Gateway; and losing some slave troopers on the way is something I'm fine with.

Right now, I've got my hands on two very handy locations; one that produces massive amounts of deer tribe archers (something like 100 or so a round; without a fortress); and a fortress that can mass heavy cavalry.

So... I'm basically playing a land war; with indie armies; and Slave Prince commanders (the 100 leadership is handy; most indy commanders can only swing 40 troops at a time; and I'm able to muster 100's of archers now; they're inaccurate, but I've always preferred a ranged strategy over a melee one in almost every game I've played, mostly b/c of how ranged is a force multiplier).

Currently, the plan is to charge up conjuration to hit Naiads for clamming; capture a province that can produce knights, putting a fort on it, and then churning out more Attack Rearmost units that I position in groups along the forward flanks of my forces. Light infantry with spears (are there Indie pikers?) with a couple hundred shortbowmen (no longbows, yet) to shower the enemy.

There are some places that I can get shamans, druids and other indie casters. I need to spread out my production of preachers and temple and lab builders so I bit the bullet and built a pair of sub-par commander picks. Generating a slave mage and priest cut into my mind lord production for a couple of rounds; but the ability to spread my research and lab/temple builder production to other provinces is more than worth it.

Hopefully I'll get some air picks on one of the deer tribe shammies, getting and using windguide will make the sort of shoddy archers more accurate.

There's the prospect of getting mictlan priests from one of my indies for blood magic (but this is a side option I'll pick up once I want to start my Pretender crafting blood items; not a real strategy).

Right now, most strategies that are Ry'leh based fail, since I'm no longer using the units that Ry'leh is known for.

Right now, my scales in sloth sort of hurt the ability to mass resource pricey units like heavy cavalry, but w/e, massed archers and meat-chaff in front seem like they'll work well enough.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Well, the AI is pretty bad at... everything, so you might be able to pull it off using indies on the surface. Word of warning: Taking your indies up against Abysia can only end in tears. With EA R'leyh, you probably want a pretender who can forge amulets of the fish.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.