Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Not really. I been in several games where I was playing a 3.0 cleric, my step kids were playing 3.Tome knight and barbarian, and 3 others were playing pathfinder classes (rogue, druid, and kineticest? Elementalist? Whatever). It works as long as everybody knows what their class does and the DM is flexible.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Hicks wrote:Not really. I been in several games where I was playing a 3.0 cleric, my step kids were playing 3.Tome knight and barbarian, and 3 others were playing pathfinder classes (rogue, druid, and kineticest? Elementalist? Whatever). It works as long as everybody knows what their class does and the DM is flexible.
Were you playing a 3.0 cleric in a game with Pathfinder rules? Because I think there are a significant number of nuances in Pathfinder that a 3.0 player would be (unpleasantly) surprised by.

Of course, if you're playing in a game that's kind of loosey-goosey about rules in general, it probably wouldn't be a problem.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

hogarth wrote: Of course, if you're playing in a game that's kind of loosey-goosey about rules in general, it probably wouldn't be a problem.
This I believe. People aren't computers that crash down when two different codes show up.

As Frank and others point out, plenty of people out there may claim to be fully playing PF when they're unconsciously (or not) still using 3.5 rules that were discretly changed in PF.

Just like nobody ever notices that 3.5 monks aren't proficient with unarmed strikes.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

How well do the Automatic Bonus Progression work?

Asking for a huh, friend who'd like to use them, because he has a weird "must be an option already programmed in Hero Lab" condition.

(Figure that said "friend" has no problem divorcing the party from the WBL guidelines otherwise.)
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

It's functional enough, but I wouldn't force the either/or armor and shield or two weapons split. If you're wielding the thing and attune to it, it gets the bonus.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The bonuses are "better than nothing" but fall well short of what you'd need to be level appropriate. There are basically two strain points:

The first is that Shadows and Allips start showing up at level 3. The party should have two or three magic weapons by that point, but if you're waiting for the regular automatic bonus progression to give everyone weapon attunement, it doesn't kick in until level 4. That can leave your entire team facing incoporeal opposition with no magic weapons and then everyone dies.

The second is that just like the regular WBL shit, it doesn't keep pace with what characters actually need to be level appropriate. Characters need to be getting more slots filled and those items need to be growing every three levels. The Automatic Bonus Progression doesn't give you the breadth you need (a Fighter doesn't get an amulet of health or gloves of dexterity equivalent until level 13, which is bullshit), and it also doesn't progress nearly fast enough (walking around at level 8 with a +1 Sword is basically an insult).

If you took the 2 levels earlier option for supposedly no-magic campaigns, and you gave out items normally, Fighters still wouldn't get the equipment they need because that is how fucking short the WBL numbers are in the middle levels. But it would be better. There isn't a single level where the Automatic Bonus Progression accidentally gives out anything too early, even if you select the sped up version. It's extremely conservative.

-Username17
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

And I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed intentional on Paizo's part because encounters with level-appropriate critters tend to be so very boring, especially if the party operates with sufficient WBL funds.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Antariuk wrote:And I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed intentional on Paizo's part because encounters with level-appropriate critters tend to be so very boring, especially if the party operates with sufficient WBL funds.
I don't think there's anything intentional about it at all. The numbers are really small because they didn't want to be accused of being over powered. The end.

Say what you will about WBL in the original 3e DMG, but it's really mathematically elegant. There are quadratic costs and exponential expected fund reserves and percentile item generation and all the bits fit together. If you roll up all the treasure parcels, you actually do get the values the book says you do and peoples' expected magic item take home really is what the book says it is. The problem is simply that for most of the levels people actually play, the expected equipment does not keep up with the need for equipment.

Pathfinder, by contrast, is not methamatically elegant. Their WBL numbers are just different enough to avoid copyright infringement based on the fact that some of the charts they are referencing are not in the SRD. These are not numbers derived from some obsessive math geek's formulae, these are random ass pulls.

The Automatic Bonus Progression is derived simply from someone spending less than half of the WBL off the chart on generic bonuses each level. That's the whole thing. No more thought went into it than that.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I was considering bumping up the automatic bonus progression by two levels but was worried it would be too much, but if people who are good at math say it isn't I'm not going to sweat it. I'm also completely ignoring wealth per level entirely and not halving treasure like the book says to if you bump everything up by 2 levels.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The weapon and armor attunement are a real fuck-you, since magic weapons overwrite your bonuses. Using a flaming burst longsword at 13th level means no enhancement bonus at all, unless the cleric hits you with Greater Magic Weapon. Warriors are back exactly where they started, with just a little more shit rubbed in their faces.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I was considering bumping up the automatic bonus progression by two levels but was worried it would be too much, but if people who are good at math say it isn't I'm not going to sweat it. I'm also completely ignoring wealth per level entirely and not halving treasure like the book says to if you bump everything up by 2 levels.
It's way worse than that. You're supposed to halve treasure if you give out the regular bonuses and nearly zero out treasure if you give out the bonuses at level +2. Which is a huge power down because those bonuses aren't worth your normal expected WBL. The issue is that the bonuses are so conservative, and the WBL numbers so insufficient at the levels most players play, that giving out the full level +2 bonuses and giving full treasure still wouldn't be enough to get people reasonably kitted out with equipment.

Part of it is that the bonuses involved just aren't very big. But there's definitely a bit of the problem that Catharz mentioned where (especially) due to weapon and armor abilities you're going to need to get some of these items in real form and the automatic bonuses don't stack.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

No shit? That's the cocksuckingest thing I've ever heard.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So, Paizo just released my favorite bit of errata (or FAQ or whatever they call it). The trait Improvisational Equipment had a single sentence added to the end.
Benefit: When using an item for anything other than its intended purpose—such as using a crowbar as a grappling hook or an old shirt to bandage a deadly wound—reduce the improvisation penalty by 2. This does not apply to improvised weapon penalties. Your GM may rule that some things are just not suitable for use in certain ways; for example, gluing a dead orc’s face to your own face won’t help you disguise yourself as an orc.
I kinda want to know the story behind that.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm guessing someone watched Deadpool right before game.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

That's from Will Save World for Gold.

Currently facing down Kidneypinchers.

From there for another lots of pages until the robot with the Orc face glued on passes for an Orc. As you do.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

FrankTrollman wrote:Say what you will about WBL in the original 3e DMG, but it's really mathematically elegant.
I don't see how it can be mathematically elegant with the "you sell at half-price" rule.

Let's consider Sword Bob, who's specialized with swords. If Sword Bob finds a +2 sword, he's happy. But if he find a +2 axe, he has to sell it (he's doing better with his +1 sword), and now he must find a second +2 axe before he gets his +2 weapon. And that isn't even considering crap items (a +2 axe can be useful, but a bag of trick?).

It means the wealth of a character may vary from simple to double. How can this be mathematically elegant ?

TiaC wrote:So, Paizo just released my favorite bit of errata (or FAQ or whatever they call it). The trait Improvisational Equipment had a single sentence added to the end.
Benefit: When using an item for anything other than its intended purpose—such as using a crowbar as a grappling hook or an old shirt to bandage a deadly wound—reduce the improvisation penalty by 2. This does not apply to improvised weapon penalties. Your GM may rule that some things are just not suitable for use in certain ways; for example, gluing a dead orc’s face to your own face won’t help you disguise yourself as an orc.
I kinda want to know the story behind that.
Great.

"Improvisation penalty" isn't a thing that exists in Pathfinder, so the trait doesn't do anything anyway.

I guess some smartass at Paizo though it was more important to write an errata describing an edge case where it doesn't work, than writing an errata to make the feat work at all.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

So...

There is a thread going on, on the Paizo boards where there are totaly people giving the advice of "Just Deal with it." or "You are a being greedy/pushy." when a person came there and asked what he should do about the fact that IC his wizard did not know what spells to prepare because with successful knowledge checks his GM does not give him any info about saves or spell resistance.

He is trying to figure this out in game or find a strategy IC to deal with it and is getting push back...

Full disclosure: There is also some decent advice given but the S/N ratio is terrible and stunned me a little.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Knowledge rules are fucking garbage If you beat the DC by 40 you get to know 8 things or 9. I know monsters with more than 9SLAs. You could learn the AC, Touch AC, Flat-Footed AC, Base Speed, HD, HP, and skill ranks for that. And you will never beat a DC by 40, since some CR 10 monsters have DCs of 40.

There is no in game solution except to learn the entire monster manual by heart, and metagame the shit out of everything.

Or you know, play with a DM capable of recognizing the rules are shit, and use mine instead.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

What's an OK lvl6 or lower build for an Alchemist that uses a gun? The idea being infusing your bullets with alchemical stuff and shooting the badguys.

The most straightforward thing I've seen is Gunslinger 1/Alchemist (Grenadier) 5. Is there anything useful to do with deeds gained from a 1 level dip?
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Kaelik wrote:Knowledge rules are fucking garbage If you beat the DC by 40 you get to know 8 things or 9. I know monsters with more than 9SLAs. You could learn the AC, Touch AC, Flat-Footed AC, Base Speed, HD, HP, and skill ranks for that. And you will never beat a DC by 40, since some CR 10 monsters have DCs of 40.
That, and the DC increase when the CR increase. Therefore random peons know what a kilmoulis is, but they don't know what a dragon is. It's fucking stupid.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

OgreBattle wrote:What's an OK lvl6 or lower build for an Alchemist that uses a gun? The idea being infusing your bullets with alchemical stuff and shooting the badguys.

The most straightforward thing I've seen is Gunslinger 1/Alchemist (Grenadier) 5. Is there anything useful to do with deeds gained from a 1 level dip?
The most important deed you'd get would be quick clear, assuming that you take the siege gunner archetype for the gunslinger to get int-based grit. Guns will misfire and being able to fix that fast is handy.

I'd be tempted to just get EWP (some pistol) as a normal feat and go with grenadier alchemist 6 though. As an alchemist you've got any number of things you can do if your gun's out of action, and at 6th level you get alchemical weapon becoming a swift action, another discovery and the ability to take discoveries which have alchemist 6 as a prereq - dispelling bomb for example.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I'm looking at the various magic cybernetics stuff in PF for my space fantasy drow ripper doc, and one category, Fleshwarping/Fleshcraft Grafts, is pretty awesome conceptually and comes with penalties (to kind of reflect that you're, Iunno, injecting straight chaos into shit, I guess). Of course there is no fucking system for pricing penalties.

So, assuming that we're not going to use Tome style items, at least broadly, how would you value a penalty to a skill, or being treated as a vermin for effects? I'm working on Fleshcraft arm grafts that basically turn the bearer's arms into spiders, aesthetically, and figured "make them have to worry about their arms getting hedged out by antipathy" was at least a conceptually fitting penalty. Also a Diplo. penalty, since, well, their lower arms are fucking spiders, and even drow don't like people who permanently manifest overt arachnid features.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

Paizo announced that RPG superstar is now on indefinite semi permanent hiatus and now a bunch of 3pp people are starting to work towards getting a 3rd party version going.

I know it is crazy, but I have this wild dream of a huge contest happening, Paizo realizing how crazy popular this was and trying to do their own contest again, but being stymied by a new and better contest so being forced to improve their own.

I know not going to happen, just mad dreaming.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Post by Shrieking Banshee »

Am I a bad person if I like pathfinder anyway? Its not good, but its like fast food. Plus i like third party supplements.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I enjoy the better early level healing, the class and character options, the archetypes, class skills being a flat bonus, and some fest changes, over 3.5.

I don't enjoy the design philosophy, the deities, the trap options and the massive power disparity between archetypes.