Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

I feel like I accidently stumbled into tumblr. neutral-male-western? the fuck? first time I saw Warforged I assumed they were genderless and appeared male because they were build as soldiers, a typically male role. but apparantly that is a western construct now. it's as if this entire PC bullshit was invented by god damn Nazis, or something... oh. wait...
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

Prak wrote:Yeah, that was more directed at the others. I'd like to see examples of gender neutral that don't default to male, too.
Does the dragon from Shrek qualify ? As far as I remember, you notice her lipstick and eyelashes once you know she's female.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

MGuy wrote:
Prak wrote:Yeah, that was more directed at the others. I'd like to see examples of gender neutral that don't default to male, too.
When you say this do you mean make 'acting'? I believe there are stories about neutral AI like HAL who's just a disembodied voice and the Borg are a collective so you could consider it pretty neutral.
I suppose the specific term I'd use is "male coded," meaning that the character is given typical markers of masculinity, and then their identity is confirmed in the way that other characters refer to them. Part of that is in the way the characters act, but there's more to it than that. A non-gender example would be Ron Weasley in Harry Potter who is never explicitly stated to be the "poor irish wizard," but is heavily irish coded, economically, physiologically, socially, and so on.
Korwin wrote:
Prak wrote:Goddamnit, western society has a huge problem with "gender neutral is male."
Looking at the Bulkhead picture, are you saying non westerners are seeing an female form there?
Do you have examples of females in non western media who do look male?

Thinking about it, I think I'm missing your Point... :confused:
To be fair (to you, not me), I started this whole thing making the wrong argument. I don't mean the argument I was making was wrong, I mean it wasn't the one I intended to make. Because I'm dumb like that.

My overall point is that Humans typically divide people into two genders, male and female. This is all well and good if you are one of the somewhat rare people that actually fits this dichotomy on one side or the other, but the way people act is better described as a spectrum than a binary, a lot of people are more masculine than feminine, or vice versa, but a lot of people are closer to the middle, or essentially embody the entire spectrum, or are very close to one end, but then have traits associated with the other end of the spectrum. An actual sociologist could talk about this much more in depth than I can. The real problem is that because of sexism, people's desire to control other people, and so on, it is a social sin to not adhere to the end of the spectrum which has been assigned to your genitals.

Now, you could sort of say "all this gender fluidity stuff is dumb, people have genitals and chromosomes and are male or female, end of story." I mean, you'd be wrong in some very important, very minutiae laden ways, as well as basically being a disrespectful cock to a lot of people who just don't fit the rigid role assigned to their bits.

But when you go into fiction, where you're dealing with entirely artificial entities, or entities which are shapechangers, who have literally no reason to have a set gender identity, or a gender identity tied to their appearance, the whole gender binary is even more ridiculous.

The thing about the western society bit is that I have a very passing familiarity with eastern cultures, and I'm not about to make a sweeping generalization about that, which I do know is different in very significant ways, as well as similar in very significant ways, from western society, but I don't know what those ways are with any degree of expertise that I'm confident in speaking on.

My point about Bulkhead is that the character could have been female in identity. Cybertronians pre-Beast Wars reproduce through manufacture, not biological sex, so there is literally no reason that a body type of that sort, or even that personality, would need to correlate to masculine voice, mannerisms and pronouns. Except for gender-binary-based preconceptions.
name_here wrote: But Prak's actual point is opposition to the gender binary that for some reason turned into complaining about how people assign binary genders when they do.
My overall point is that I feel like assigning "true genders" (really true sexes) to Changelings (in Eberron), or saying that Changelings are one specific sex (in Pathfinder), or not even touching on the search for gender identity in an artificial race such as Warforged is a huge missed opportunity, and it's because of very, very old, and very outdated ideas about gender and sex, which is all the more frustrating with Paizo because they genuinely try to be progressive when it comes to sex and gender.

This was not made clear when I began by making the wrong argument for my point.

Rawbeard:
Get sucking. Sorry, barrel not available.
[warning, robo dildos in spoiler]
GâtFromKI wrote:
Does the dragon from Shrek qualify ? As far as I remember, you notice her lipstick and eyelashes once you know she's female.
I... suppose. I mean, I feel like the inclusion of makeup is a cheat, because that's what tells us the dragon is female.

Here we run into the problem where I know what I find issue with, but I have no clue what I want to be done about it, at least not precisely. I don't have a problem with ...essentially cis-gendered non-sexed characters. Like, I don't have a problem with the fact that Data on Star Trek identifies as the gender that matches his structure. I just want more stories that play with gender as the essentially artificial construct that it is, especially when they are dealing with characters that literally do not have a biological sex, like robots, or who can change their biological sex at the drop of a hat, like shapeshifters.

I really like Bubbles in Questionable Content-
[spoiler is safe for work, does not contain robo dildos]
The character identifies as female, but as she was created for military purposes, has a very utilitarian chassis that is not, beyond her hair, coded for one gender or another.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Are you implying sucking robo dicks is an insult? which part? the sucking dick part, or the robo part? I just want to know which groups rights you are trying to make fun of. check your privilige, bruh.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Rawbeard, please stop being an obnoxious twat who reads faux progressive idiocy into literally everything. It isn't funny. It just makes you seem like a moron reading off a "lol, SJWs, rite" script.
How does the Den feel about the latest Spheres of Power expansion books? I am cautiously hopeful, as I found the original Spheres of Power expansion to be a definite step in the right direction, but I also really wish they'd come up with some higher level opposition suitable to the strongly reduced power level of that magic system.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Prak: now I agree completely, except
Prak wrote:I... suppose. I mean, I feel like the inclusion of makeup is a cheat, because that's what tells us the dragon is female.
Nope, makeup is a disqualification.
There are two issues here:
[1] gender representation: more characters, especially nonhumanoid characters, created male than female by default
[2] gender expression: characters, especially female characters, doubly especially nonhumanoid female characters, adhering to Traditional Human Gender Traits [tm].

Thus, the dragon lady addresses [1] but fails [2], while sexy Starscream addresses [2] but does nothing about [1].

I put Obnoxious Twat on ignore, however, this still has to be pointed out:
Pathfinder the setting very emphatically does not discriminate by gender, because of exponential power and no stat differences. Women aren't less suited to being exceptional high-level badasses, thus, by excluding 1/2 of the high-statted individuals from advancement, you're killing your society's chances against Team Monster. Consequently, there's absolutely no reason for people in the setting to associate the male gender with warfare and military service.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Grek, buddy, I know I have long history of pulling the SJW card, but when an insecure queer doesn't stop fucking a dead horse I can't just watch him do that, unless he goes to his own dead horse fucking corner.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Rawbeard wrote:it's as if this entire PC bullshit was invented by god damn Nazis, or something... oh. wait...
Yeah, the American right are Nazis. Glad we're in agreement on that point.
Rawbeard wrote:Grek, buddy, I know I have long history of pulling the SJW card, but when an insecure queer doesn't stop fucking a dead horse I can't just watch him do that, unless he goes to his own dead horse fucking corner.
So your counter to being annoyed by someone is to be annoying to everyone? Brilliant fucking strategy. If Prak's fucking a dead horse you're having a necrophiliac orgy in a horse graveyard and broadcasting it on live television. You go to your horse fucking corner before you have any right to complain about it.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Rawbeard wrote:Grek, buddy, I know I have long history of pulling the SJW card, but when an insecure queer doesn't stop fucking a dead horse I can't just watch him do that, unless he goes to his own dead horse fucking corner.
[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Emphasis mine.

Yes, you can. You can stop the prejudiced comments now.
[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Thank you for bolding that, fbmf, I had stopped reading rawbeard's posts, so I completely missed the hilarity of his use of the word "queer" as an insult for someone who actually used it as a label.

That's a great way to start my day :p
Last edited by Prak on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I honestly think the gendering of things is partially lingual in origin, and depending on who you're talking to may well be superficial. Singular they has only recently become generally accepted, and for he/she/it using "it" is code for "I consider the person I'm talking about an object rather than a person." So in English media people get assigned a gender, and if they actually don't have any cues for either gender people generally default to male. If a character has a feminine voice they generally get refiled the moment they open their mouth. Being as I am one of our local anime fans, and Japanese having different pronouns and use patterns, I can confidently state that gender-ambiguous English without singular they gets incredibly fucking awkward.
the poor bastard translating Nanoha InnocentS wrote: So, after going through countless times, I'm pretty sure I got all the times I used "she" while referring to that blue-haired girl. (Which probably means there's still some there, unfortunately.)
In today's chapter of "Why Subaru, Why" I end up with some slightly awkward sounding sentences in an attempt to avoid the problems that come from not using the right pronoun.
(Subaru is a girl and is so far not aware there is confusion on that point because Japanese pronouns)
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Singular they is very annoying to write with, I know this. I'd like there to be a true gender neutral pronoun that is entirely singular, but conlang stuff doesn't get picked up. So when I write about my genderqueer protagonists, I just deal with the fact that I have to be extra clear about who I'm referring to, and deal with the fact that "themself" is considered grammatically incorrect.

I also know that it's use is not recent at all, the use of singular they for a person of indeterminate gender goes back to at least Shakespeare. What's relatively recent and not entirely accepted yet is the idea that some people do not give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about gender roles and society's ingrained biases, and are going to push for respect of their preferences on this matter.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak wrote: and deal with the fact that "themself" is considered grammatically incorrect.
"Common usage motherfuckers" (Preferably in conjuction with flipping the bird or the V depending on your cultural upbringing.) I mean, if you say you could care less, you have bigger problems than the word "themself".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Fair point.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I think it's strange that he would use a word you call yourself to insult you. In fact, it's more than strange, it's queer...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, that was possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever seen on this board.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Yeah, that was possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever seen on this board.
I would nominate Hundreds of Thousands > Millions for that honor.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Don't forget "rotting in your progressive hell". That was a great one.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I vote for everybody calling each other Queers to get it out of our systems. Koumei, you're a queer. Kaelik, you're a queer. Prak, you're a double queer. fbmf, you break the queer meter. Zaranthan, you're more queer than a blue-banded goby, so go fuck yourself twice and stop bragging about it.

Now that that's settled, we can declare warforged to be agendered, changelings to be genderfluid, and get back to writing Gimli/Legolas slashfics like normal people. :)
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Zaranthan wrote:I vote for everybody calling each other Queers to get it out of our systems. Koumei, you're a queer. Kaelik, you're a queer. Prak, you're a double queer. fbmf, you break the queer meter. Zaranthan, you're more queer than a blue-banded goby, so go fuck yourself twice and stop bragging about it.
This will help promote unity on the den. Alone we snap in half like a twig, but bundle us together and we make a mighty faggot.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Zaranthan wrote:I vote for everybody calling each other Queers to get it out of our systems. Koumei, you're a queer. Kaelik, you're a queer. Prak, you're a double queer. fbmf, you break the queer meter. Zaranthan, you're more queer than a blue-banded goby, so go fuck yourself twice and stop bragging about it.
This will help promote unity on the den. Alone we snap in half like a twig, but bundle us together and we make a mighty faggot.
Okay. Yeah.

Count, you win with that one.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Ha! I understood that reference.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is why I love this place.

Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I think it's strange that he would use a word you call yourself to insult you. In fact, it's more than strange, it's queer...
I use it for myself, too. Well, I would if I felt the need to tell everyone that I am also vegan, atheist, feminist and whatnot. I don't. That wasn't the insult part.
Last edited by Rawbeard on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

A monster design contest for pathfinder just got announced. It may not be a big deal to a lot of people but I thought some of you might be interested.

Here be monsters 2
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.