Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

They don't, but many MC decide they have anyway for no reason.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Mind affecting spells - there are many in the illusion school, e.g color spray - don't normally affect undead. If your GM's got certain beliefs then figments like silent image can be essentially worthless, as there's a line about proof that they're not real requiring no save, and 'proof' is something that could mean any inconsistency or oddity.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

tussock wrote: What's the cost to fixing up your caster level in Pathfinder with dipping anyway? A feat? There's got to better things to do with a whole level, huge numbers of prestige classes only take away 1.
Joining a guild and earning brownie points will fix your progression. Inner sea Magic, I believe.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Arcanists are easier to pick prepared spells with basically as soon as you get a metamagic. The benefits of the spontaneous metamagic option.
... are not that game-changing. It's a good benefit, don't get me wrong, but unless you were specifically doing a metamagic whoring trick it comes on too late (character level 9, minimum) to have a significantly larger marginal utility than a wizard who just packs extra scrolls and uses one of the many ways to hotswap spells.
Also I think you may be exaggerating how much spell level matters compared to save DC.
If save DC matters that much to you, then go Exploiter wizard. Your save DCs are even higher thanks to early spell access and you can still grab Potent Magic.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Undead are immune to mind-effecting spells, which includes a number of illusions.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is there any way to take and use feats that require you to have an evil alignment without currently being evil? I really like some of the evil options but for obvious reasons I don't actually want to roll up to a game with an evil character.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Gaining the evil subtype would probably do it.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Beyond Morality (both of them) come close but don't apply to feats.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-cl ... orality-su
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-h ... rality-Ex- (this one looks like it may have been intended to apply to anything)
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

So, I've seen the shaman mentioned on here a few times as a decent class. Where exactly on the totem pole does it tend to fit? Worse than Cleric and Wizard, but better than Oracle and Sorcerer? Worse than most other full casters? Better than many other full casters?
Night Goat
Journeyman

Post by Night Goat »

I've been playing Shaman for a while, and once you get past the very early levels it may be the best class in the game. The spell list isn't that great, but you get hexes so you'll be able to do something useful every turn. Also, there's an alternate favored class bonus for humans and half-humans that allows you to add cleric spells to your list. Also also, the Arcane Enlightenment hex lets you cherry-pick wizard spells - get this with your wandering hex or the Spirit Talker feat, and you'll be able to choose these spells every day.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I've never even played Shaman but the Scarred Witch Doctor archetype is very much on my radar. If I had to whip up a character in a couple hours right now odds are pretty good that would be it.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

You go the Sacred Tattoos into that trait that increases luck bonus. You have a +2 luck bonus to your saves and then you are a full caster with a race that starts +2 to your casting stat and the casting stat is Constitution. Its the down and dirty way to Winning Pathfinder. Sure, you can do stronger stuff, but its pretty damn hard to argue with that.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Night goat's above trick with the Spirit Talker feat probably works for Witches as well. Their DC will be crap, but it's still great for saveless spells.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I never realised how expensive large rocks are in pathfinder.
[url=http://www.archivesofnethys.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Pain%20Taster wrote:pain taster prestige class[/url]] The first time a pain taster performs a particular torture routine, she must spend 1 hour inflicting self-harm using materials that cost 2,000 gp.
[. . . ]
The initial torture session for this routine involves breaking each rib by lying on the ground, and then repeatedly dropping a large rock directly on the ribcage.
Mark Moreland Developer wrote:The ritual involved in the disciple of pain class ability does not deal hit point damage. To do so would make it one of the few class abilities that came with a built-in burden to characters who take levels in the class. The rituals are meant to be primarily flavorful means by which a character gains the benefit, similar to deific obediences from Inner Sea Gods or to a wizard preparing spells for the day. If a GM wishes to play out this hour-long ritual, she is welcome to do so, but we didn’t want to hard-code a penalty or hit point tax into the rules for all players. The reference to hit point damage in the pain mastery description is a legacy from changes made to the class last-minute that slipped through the cracks (see below).
Also I like the fact that breaking all your ribs does not affect you in any way.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Yikes. I have a player who's trying to set up a quarry... and I was just gonna let him! Thanks for pointing out how broken that is.
Lurky Lurkpants
1st Level

Post by Lurky Lurkpants »

The ritual involved in the disciple of pain class ability does not deal hit point damage. To do so would make it one of the few class abilities that came with a built-in burden to characters who take levels in the class.
Meanwhile the primary mechanic of the Kineticist (their version of the Warlock) is going to boosting or fueling their abilities by taking special nonlethal damage that can't be healed except by rest.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I don't play Pathfinder(cue thread title), but since I know someone who does, I kinda want a valid low level character on the off-shoot I join a session someday. Golarion-wise, I really like the Red Mantis Assassins, their Faction, their God, even their super-secret HQ. I like the idea behind their class, is they're sneaky closet trolls that transform into stuff and rip people apart, ideally covert and assassin like. Obviously the actual Prc behind it is trash, so I was wondering what class(s) combinations and such would be best to make that happen?

I would assume depressingly low level, like 3-5th, with little hopes of going all that far into mid levels (So a story idea I had where god gives me a message to secretly Assassinate the entire organization is but a fantasy within a fantasy). Also guessing Druid might also be fitting this bill, and I've no issue going caster for PF, so long as I know all the things I stuff I need to do to Eat Face. I think the Kingmaker thread mentioned taking the Feather Domain, and possibly Nature Fang if meleeing people instead of Wildshaping. Though I totally want to Cho'goth people, but I'll take whatever optimization requires.

Any thoughts on this, be it prior links or otherwise?
Last edited by Aryxbez on Fri May 15, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

How about a barbarian? I know they have some rage powers where they grow claws when they rage. Also I think one where you can get a bite attack.

Incidentally that rage power path gives you extra NA, and pounce on higher levels so its not as bad as rage powers go. I don't know if it was updated with Unchained classes.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

What about a vivisectionist alchemist?
You use mutagens (potion like stuff) to turn into a monster with claws and bite and you get sneak attack.
Can combine it with the beastmorph archetype too, for grabbing stuff off the polymorph list.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I recommend you get the transformation from your race. Be a Skinwalker. The alternate heritages mean the race can fit most any class. Some of them have great abilities too. The Nightskulk get Distraction, a con-based save vs. nauseate whenever it damages an opponent. Bloodmarked have two different feats that give them flight. Fanglords can see through magical darkness.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Ghremdal wrote:How about a barbarian? I know they have some rage powers where they grow claws when they rage. Also I think one where you can get a bite attack.
The Abyssal bloodline Bloodrager should work pretty well. When you rage, you grow claws and then at level 4 you grow in size, too.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Also check out the Eldritch Scion archetype for Magus. You downgrade from wizard prep to sorcerer prep, but you get a bloodrager bloodline, have access to most of the polymorph spells, and can easily pick up Eldritch Heritage for additional monstrous changes.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

And also have to spend from your limited arcane point pool to use the class' core spell combat ability until level 8. That's a big reason why I think Eldritch Scion archetype is a big downgrade for Magus.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Archmage Joda wrote:And also have to spend from your limited arcane point pool to use the class' core spell combat ability until level 8. That's a big reason why I think Eldritch Scion archetype is a big downgrade for Magus.
The Eldritch Scion is a hate crime against Magi. And now that they've put a steaming turd in that design space, nothing good will ever be put there.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

rasmuswagner wrote:
Archmage Joda wrote:And also have to spend from your limited arcane point pool to use the class' core spell combat ability until level 8. That's a big reason why I think Eldritch Scion archetype is a big downgrade for Magus.
The Eldritch Scion is a hate crime against Magi. And now that they've put a steaming turd in that design space, nothing good will ever be put there.
Just like how after they made the Paladin and Cleric they never made another divine warrior class aga— Oh wait, they totally made two more classes that try to split the difference into ever tinier segments.

It's like they're trying to achieve the granularity of open multiclassing with single-class builds.