Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

It's hard for my pasty white nerd designer ass to do it, so it's hard for your adventurer with deific hand-eye coordination to do it.
Sir Aubergine
Apprentice

Post by Sir Aubergine »

ishy wrote:Image
Hahahaha
There are no words.
The Denner’s Oath
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: [in unison] A Denner is unhelpful, unfriendly and unkind.
The Denner’s reflection: With ungracious thoughts...
The Denner: ...in an unhealthy mind.
The Denner’s reflection: A Denner is uncheerful, uncouth and unclean. Now say this together!
The Denner, The Denner’s reflection: I'm frightfully mean! My eyes are both shifty. My fingers are thrifty.
The Denner: My mouth does not smile.
The Denner’s reflection: Not half of an inch.
The Denner: I'm a Denner.
The Denner’s reflection: I... am a Denner.
The Denner: I'm a Denner!
The Denner’s reflection: That's my boy. Now go out and prove it!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

'I personally had trouble with a thing, so action heroes should have trouble with it.'

In other news, Jason Buhlman's Die Hard is coming out; John McClane is caught and shot almost immediately.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

"Spent a part of the morning rubbing Sulphur and Bat Guano together and figuring out how tricky it was to cast a Fireball."

The FAQ will be updated to mention that your characters can't cast spells anymore. It's impossible.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

The next Pathfucker supplement will include a swift action 0-level spell that lets you get an object into your hand wiht a swift action.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Sir Aubergine wrote:
Hahahaha
There are no words.
Well...at least he seems to be having fun. : )
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Weapon cords are stupid, and I didn't need to practice flipping a mouse into my hand to come to that conclusion.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'm torn because the weapon cord sounds stupid and Jason Buhlman sounds stupid.

Did two stupids make a right?

I'd imagine a weapon cord is mostly good for if you are disarmed and would otherwise find your weapon irretrievable like while mounted or flying.

Having a strip of leather totally neuter disarm as a tactic is shittastic rules. Disarm doesn't need to be pissed on any further.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

erik wrote:I'm torn because the weapon cord sounds stupid and Jason Buhlman sounds stupid.

I'd imagine a weapon cord is mostly good for if you are disarmed and would otherwise find your weapon irretrievable like while mounted or flying.

Having a strip of leather totally neuter disarm as a tactic is shittastic rules. Disarm doesn't need to be pissed on any further.
In this case it was being nerfed because gunslingers used them to avoid TWF reload problems.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

TiaC wrote:
erik wrote:I'm torn because the weapon cord sounds stupid and Jason Buhlman sounds stupid.

In this case it was being nerfed because gunslingers used them to avoid TWF reload problems.
Wholly shit, that sounds like an actual use for a weapon cord. WTF is wrong with these idiots. The invented an item with no uses at all and then nerfed it when it had an actual use.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Kaelik wrote:
TiaC wrote:

Wholly shit, that sounds like an actual use for a weapon cord. WTF is wrong with these idiots. The invented an item with no uses at all and then nerfed it when it had an actual use.
Well dur. It was a buff on a class that wasn't a caster. Gotta nerf that shit RIGHT NOW. I'm surprised it took them so long.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

For anyone who happens to have seen it, how does the revised version of the third party Vanguard class measure up, at least compared to other 2/3 casters. It's essentially a gish in a can like the magus, but chooses its spells known with the bard progression off the sorcerer/wizard list, casts spontaneously with Charisma, and isn't constrained to using a one-handed weapon with an empty offhand, and has a limited times per day force blast that is like a magic missile with a bit better damage.

Also, it gains the ability to choose its own equivalent of magus arcana, which include things like spell sunder, blocking spells with your weapon, and casting a spell at the end of a charge rather than making a melee attack. The old version is on the pfsrd, but the revised one is not, and I would offer the pdf of the revised here, but I don't think that's kosher, and I don't want fbmf to come build a fence out of my bones.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Kaelik wrote:Wholly shit, that sounds like an actual use for a weapon cord. WTF is wrong with these idiots. The invented an item with no uses at all and then nerfed it when it had an actual use.
The weapon cord is probably the touchstone example about how adding piddly ass new expansion options ends up nerfing people just by its existence.

I remember a similar debate about reloading where someone invented the weapon cord outside of the rules and then we argued whether it should be a free, swift, or move action to pick your gun back up. But then someone revealed that Pathfinder already made rules for weapon cords and made it a (at the time) swift action.

I really, really resent the fact that WotC can't get their shit together long enough to put Pathfinder under. It's a bad meme and bad joke that's only going on as long as it does because 4E and 5E D&D suck monkey anus.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Hahahaha

Actually, that whole schbang was confirmed to be a joke, and seems even took down the original post to reflect that.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

EDIT: Wait a minute, if it's a joke, then how does he explain this shit:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---fin ... eapon-Cord

If it was a joke, why is it actually in the FAQ? Not only is Bulmahn an idiot, he's also a liar.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
erik
King

Post by erik »

To indulge my propensity to give undeserved benefits of the doubt, I think he is trying to say that he was joking about making the decision based upon him wasting hours of work playing with a mouse (as opposed to whatever decision making process was actually used non-jokingly).

I'd feel a bit shaky about posting on social media that I spent a morning playing with a mouse cord rather than working. To each his own.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

spent a part of the morning being stabbed by angry people with knives and figured out how tricky it was to stay alive. It's not impossible... but a character definitely shouldn't have more than 4 HP.
GnomeWorks
Master

Post by GnomeWorks »

GâtFromKI wrote:spent a part of the morning being stabbed by angry people with knives and figured out how tricky it was to stay alive. It's not impossible... but a character definitely shouldn't have more than 4 HP.
I think I would give more credit for that explanation than the one given for the change on the weapon cord.

It's still stupid, given we're talking about a fantasy game involving dragons and other giant shit that you're supposed to be able to reasonably fight. But at least getting stabbed seems like you're actually trying, vs. dicking around with a mouse for a few hours.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

On the one hand, they nerf weapon cords to nerf gunslingers.

Then, they add Crazy SciFi Kingdom and give people hand held death rays and shit.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/tech ... apons.html

What the fuck, Pathfinder, I don't even.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

MGuy wrote:Well dur. It was a buff on a class that wasn't a caster. Gotta nerf that shit RIGHT NOW.
I've probably seen it just as frequently used by casters (with wands or whatever). Why not? It's basically free.

At any rate, good riddance to serious adventurers running around with fucking stupid ginormous charm bracelets.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

hogarth wrote:At any rate, good riddance to serious adventurers running around with fucking stupid ginormous charm bracelets.
Now they can continue to wear the oh-so-serious BFF charms, or the literal charm bracelet.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

virgil wrote:
hogarth wrote:At any rate, good riddance to serious adventurers running around with fucking stupid ginormous charm bracelets.
Now they can continue to wear the oh-so-serious BFF charms, or the literal charm bracelet.
As long as they don't have a 4-foot sword dangling from them, I'm fine with that.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

GâtFromKI wrote:spent a part of the morning being stabbed by angry people with knives and figured out how tricky it was to stay alive. It's not impossible... but a character definitely shouldn't have more than 4 HP.
To be fair, D&D characters are supposed to be representing dodging passively.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Careful, some people will pounce at you for suggesting they aren't taking all those hits with their massive chins.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

There is a new pathfinder Wizard archetype that lets them cast any spell from the Bard, Cleric or Druid list a few time per day on a delay. They have to give up school specialization to do it, so what could have been awesome is now just meh.

Back in 3.5 I never could have conceived them doing this. For some reasons neckbeards really hate arcane casters getting healing spells and other cleric goodies. I wonder, have the Neckbeards stopped caring or has Paizo?
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf