Planning a one shot

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Planning a one shot

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Barbarian, druid, monk, and marshall are all straightforward classes that don't step too much on each others' toes.

I think a druid is pretty obvious and self-explanatory. Spell preparation is the only issue, so I'd give a list of spells that the druids starts off preparing. The animal companion should be a crocodile, natch.

Monks are a great intro to the Tomes. I'd go with sneaky snake stance (concealment, Con damage/piercing attacks) and charging bull style (+30' speed, stunning attacks).

The Marshall and Barbarian don't need much building. I'd avoid making the barbarian too much of a glass cannon, which means using Combat School and Whirlwind rather than Blitz. The Marshall should be wearing heavy armor and using a great shield.

You need some kind of archer to round things out; a samurai would be neat if you can swing the flavor, but a halfling hurler would definitely fit in well.

No idea for the 6th.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Honestly... #6

Post by Midnight_v »

# 6 The Tome Firemage.

Its simple straight forward, and most of all archetypical enough that people just "get it"
Last edited by Midnight_v on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

To avoid any issues with confined areas, I'd make the knight a halfling or goblin. A riding dog also won't overshadow the monk's charging bull style as much as a light warhorse.

The problem with Knight is making sure that the player remembers to use Challenge effectively. It's possible that your player will challenge the 'wrong' targets or neglect to use it entirely. A fighter with preselected feats would also make a decent archer.

[edit] I'd be worried that a heavily armored cleric will overlap too much with the Marshall, at least in the minds of the players. At low levels, a poorly played cleric will just be completely overshadowed anyway. How about a Soulborn instead? Soulmelds could be nimbus of light, levitation, displacement, enlargement, and silence. Feats of TWFing and Combat School. [/Edit]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That looks like a pretty solid team. And I would have suggested Knight, Barbarian, Fire Mage, Monk and ??? too, for what that's worth.

Looks like it could be pretty fun, really. Note that CR 3 is the biggest list (by core), boasting the most monsters. It has a bigger population than fucking Belarus.

What Marshal is this? And what does the Hummingbird do?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Koumei wrote:That looks like a pretty solid team. And I would have suggested Knight, Barbarian, Fire Mage, Monk and ??? too, for what that's worth.

Looks like it could be pretty fun, really. Note that CR 3 is the biggest list (by core), boasting the most monsters. It has a bigger population than fucking Belarus.

What Marshal is this? And what does the Hummingbird do?
Hummingbirds give an Initiative bonus.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Don't use Fire Mage. It's disappointing.

Stick with warriors and rogues, and give them all potions of various types. One-use items are simple and no fuss, but if they can handle the spells... more power to them.

For the player's sake I hope that Aasimar has no LA+.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

///
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

ubernoob wrote:The marshal is the one from the tomes (RoW I think).
Correction: the Marshall isn't in any of the Tomes that actually exist, it was a Community Material thing which happened to be written by Frank and was in the class list for the Tome of Virtue (which doesn't exist).
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well shit, it was in my .pdf the whole time and I didn't notice. Derp.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

ubernoob wrote: *This guy seriously likes to play PHB fighters because he never has to think about anything besides "I full attack." He also happened to take crap like weapon specialization on said fighters because he wouldn't have to think about it.
In 3e, fighter was hardmode; not noobmode. Making a 3e fighter that would not suck hardcore in 3e was something I liked to do.

That person should have seriously played a cleric. He probably would have had more fun. Especially if he ever hit level 7.

Otherwise, this looks good. The Barb's Hordebreaker is a bit sketchy for me though, since it's a dex-based feat; meaning you're splitting your stats solely into physical. Stupid, foolish, charmless barbarians are alright, but not everyone likes them. Great Fort on the Barb is an easy pick, and most people won't get it right away. The class needs to emphasize survival in the early game, since attack and and damage aren't real concerns.

Blitz is not needed (again, barbs come out swinging well enough to begin with), but Whirlwind might be a potential idea for later.

I see that you really favour the anti-ambush game, danger sense three times on three characters. TWF to all the usual suspects. Ranged knight. A Monk that can actually take on big bads. All pretty optimized.

What sort of gear will the PCs be carrying? Mwk stuff?
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

When is this game starting. You still right up the street? Are you housing this in the villa you live at or at the FlGS across the street?
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I have come to the conclusion that the Marshall won't have enough oomph with danger sense + Expert Tactician, so I'm going to change the race to human and use Expert Tactician, Phalanx Fighter, and Combat School to bring it up to the level of the rest of the characters.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'd love to see the Marshal and Paladin folded in to one class, but that's another matter..
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Feels bad man.
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

I'd play it. Just let me roll the dice and kill some crap.
"Come... Submit... Obey... I am your friend and master. Your thoughts are like water to me."
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I like how you don't categorize "clusterfuck" as "bad". I always thought that meant super-bad in multiple ways (hence the "cluster").

Still, too bad it didn't work out. Having had my own place (well, shared with my wife), I know what you mean about how much it sucks to play in a house with other non-gamers. The guy I've most consistently gamed with for nearly two decades had to move back in with his parents when he got divorced and lost his job. Because he has a kid, he can't just come over to my place. So when we game, I'm playing in his parent's basement.

Feels like I'm 14 again! ...but in all the bad ways and not any of the good ways.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

@ubernoob: I still have fond memories of running you through an adventure in my "Citadel of Unending Thumps."
It would be nice to see your style as a DM.
"Come... Submit... Obey... I am your friend and master. Your thoughts are like water to me."