Dogs in the Vineyard

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

Dogs in the Vineyard

Post by Psychic Robot »

I know very little about this game. Apparently, you're Mormons with magical powers sent to do God's bidding, keeping the folks on the straight and narrow. There's some wacky dice "bidding" system. Can anyone tell me more?
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

It is hugely popular and successful with the indie set and is made by a guy who made a game called "Kill Puppies For Satan" a while back.

I can't tell you any more about it since I don't have time to play it (too busy with my Shadowrun campaign, my D&D campaigns, and playtesting RPGs I wrote myself) but there's a bunch of actual play threads about it at The Forge, if you can stomach their ivory tower airs.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
K
King

Post by K »

The Forge does seem to love dice-bidding.

It's like that place is a museum for failed RPG mechanics.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Dogs in the Vineyard is by the same guy who went on to write Apocalypse World. In my social circle, everyone who liked Dogs liked Apocalypse more, largely because the dice mechanics were way less complicated.

Meanwhile, most of my social circle found Dogs confusing and uninspiring.
Last edited by Orion on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Dogs in the Vineyard is by the same guy who went on to write Apocalypse World. In my social circle, everyone who liked Dogs liked Apocalypse more, largely because the dice mechanics were way less complicated.
That other thread spawned this one; I just didn't want to derail. Can you go into DItV/AW in greater detail? I'm perusing the mechanics and it seems very...unusual for my style of play.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

My knowledge of DitV is limited to some descriptions from the people who played it, but I can definitely do a more thorough AW review. As far as comparing the two, I can't go in-depth due to not knowing DitV.

DitV has
--some kind weird dicepool thing where you roll talking dice and then shooting dice. Basically what PhoneLobster proposed a while back I think.
--I think most all rolls are opposed?
--Normal RPG assumptions (players operate as a team to sovle a GM-generated problem)

AW has
--Everything is resolved by rolling 2d6
--No opposed rolls except in certain PC vs PC edge cases
--PCs aren't a team and don't have a task

Personally, it's the last that really sold AW to me. rules-lite is frustrating to me when you're supposed to operate with a team, because it's hard to get everyone on the same page. It's also rough when the MC is supposed to write up "an adventure" for players to "solve" because then you've gotta be worried about them blitzing through it too easily or whatever. In AW you really spend most of the time just watching the players go off and start shit on their own, and life just sort of grinds on until you get bored. the loose structure and the loose mechanics match.

More detailed review follows.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

DitV is one of those games games where "Is moderately strong (d8)" is substantially better than "Is very strong (d6)". The story goes in escalation cycles, and as I recall there are three (talking, shoving, shooting). Once you escalate things, you can't go back. Play goes around with people naming a trait and then rolling the die attached to it. Winning and losing rounds get you bonus traits with dice attached to them. A trait like "seriously injured (d10)" is actually really good to have, while a trait like "Is feared and respected (d4)" is fucking worthless.

DitV makes almost no sense and actually isn't very good. If you read between the lines, the game didn't even function when the author was playing the test game that he used for the example of play. The players had no idea what they were supposed to do and didn't really want to do what the DM ultimately railroaded them into doing.

DitV gets props for thinking outside the box, and probably belongs in the discussion about what an RPG is and where the genre should go. But that's all there is. You wouldn't actually do things like DitV, because it sucks. You'd just consider things as original as DitV.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

That's a perfect description of how DitV went for our group, right down to the confused railroading.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I think if the rough setting (mormon cowboy paladins evading the federal government) were transplanted into a better system (dice pool or d20 or whatever) then you'd come out with something that people would want to play.

Everyone I've told the game's outline to has wanted to play it, until they've heard about the strange-wacky rules they had to learn to play.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

mormon cowboy paladins evading the federal government
Wow. That sounds like a pretty awesome setting, actually.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, any setting that encourages playing Joshua Graham is OK in my book.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

All I know is second hand.
That said, the thing I kept hearing was that you don't have winning or losing, you have outcomes. So if you "win" a fight, you're actually just choosing the outcome (other guy is killed, other guy is disarmed, bystanders are impressed, etc.) and the loser also gets to set some outcomes ("winner" injured, crowd disgusted, etc.). That sounds more interesting than most games, and seems like it would work really well in a very political game. The problem is that I've never even heard of a DIV situation or character that I cared about.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

A trait like "seriously injured (d10)" is actually really good to have, while a trait like "Is feared and respected (d4)" is fucking worthless.
That's what I was getting from reading the book. You can have bad traits that actually help you for some reason. No idea why.
Ant wrote:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Psychic Robot wrote:
A trait like "seriously injured (d10)" is actually really good to have, while a trait like "Is feared and respected (d4)" is fucking worthless.
That's what I was getting from reading the book. You can have bad traits that actually help you for some reason. No idea why.
It's a directed narrative, not a character quality rendition. So you get to roll big dice because you worked the directed narrative path segments into the story. If you use denigrated narrative elements instead, you roll smaller dice. That's it. The actual capabilities of the character are meaningless, the only input is using the favored narrative elements vs. using the unfavored ones.

-Username17
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Colonel Bowie has the trait "too sick to walk". He has himself carried across the line in the sand. That has a much higher impact than the folks who just walk across.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

It's a directed narrative, not a character quality rendition. So you get to roll big dice because you worked the directed narrative path segments into the story. If you use denigrated narrative elements instead, you roll smaller dice. That's it. The actual capabilities of the character are meaningless, the only input is using the favored narrative elements vs. using the unfavored ones.
The entire thing is difficult to wrap my simulationist-lite mind around. The idea that being a cripple can make you better in combat is troubling, to say the least. Unfortunately, if you're trying to overcome challenges, it seems to me that the game is going to revolve around using any high-die traits at the expense of making a lick of sense. Certainly, some traits won't be much of a winner in combat, but if your trait is 2d10 "hot temper," you can get a huge edge in basically every confrontation.
Ant wrote:
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Infuriatingly, his fans would probably say "you should just *choose* making sense over rolling high dice. if it doesn't make sense to you that your character would succeed, don't use your abilities to succeed."
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Why make it a rule if no interpretation of it makes any sense?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Infuriatingly, his fans would probably say "you should just *choose* making sense over rolling high dice. if it doesn't make sense to you that your character would succeed, don't use your abilities to succeed."
Ant wrote:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The idea is that you are supposed to tell stories that involve major traits of the characters. So if you tell the story about how your character is impeded by his crippling injuries, you are rewarded mechanically by succeeding more in the overall adventure.

It's the same theory of storytelling that gives you FATE. You invoke negative traits to give yourself temporary setbacks and give yourself fate points that ultimately make you more likely to succeed at the overall mission. It's just that in DitV there isn't an intermediary step. There is just a single ongoing resolution score, so when you get rewarded for telling a story about how your limitations hold your character back, the increased resolution score happens immediately.

-Username17
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Chamomile wrote:
I don't know about you, but I play TTRPGs to escape daily life....
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:
Chamomile wrote:
I don't know about you, but I play TTRPGs to escape daily life....
You're a Mormon cowboy paladin evading the federal government? I think you might be a fringe case.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Oh lord no. I could never wear shorts in the winter time.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Nihlin
Journeyman

Post by Nihlin »

Lokathor wrote:I think if the rough setting (mormon cowboy paladins evading the federal government) were transplanted into a better system (dice pool or d20 or whatever) then you'd come out with something that people would want to play.

Everyone I've told the game's outline to has wanted to play it, until they've heard about the strange-wacky rules they had to learn to play.
Conversely, swapping some version of the DitV rules (often heavily modded) into Old Republic Star Wars is quite popular, and actually rather close to what the author occasionally claims to have been going for.

See, you do not actually have god-given magical powers in DitV - at least, not by default - and by no means are your judgements divinely guided. By default, you have a gun, a socially-respected badge of office (the dog's coat), and stats that mean that you will almost always win a gunfight with the hoi polloi. That means that you typically either tell stories about the Taliban, or about young idealist cops that become old cynical cops due to the ills of society.

And that brings us to the Old Republic. Jedi also lack any actually divine guidance, though the force is quite a decent facsimile should they be inclined to follow it. However, regardless of Light or Dark inclinations, what all Jedi fundamentally have is a lightsaber, a socially-respected badge of office (the jedi's robes), and the ability to fuck up almost anyone in combat. That entails a hefty moral burden, but perhaps less problematic than the default setting.

Neigh-useless wikipedia article follows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_the_Vineyard
Last edited by Nihlin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nihlin
Journeyman

Post by Nihlin »

Orion wrote:Meanwhile, most of my social circle found Dogs confusing and uninspiring.
My social circle is mostly that, too, but there is a subset that loves DitV. Mysteriously, members of this latter group are all from Massachusetts and picked up the game by playing it with the author rather than reading the book. I'm thinking that there may be a link.
Last edited by Nihlin on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.