Super Bowl 2022 Live Thread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Super Bowl 2022 Live Thread

Post by JourneymanN00b »

For those of us who have an interest in such a thread, there you go.

Right now, the Rams have drawn first blood with a touchdown to get to a 7-0 lead.

EDIT 1: Bengals get a field goal to get the score to 7-3.

EDIT 2: Another touchdown by the rams to get the score to 13-3!

EDIT 3: Bengals get a touchdown to reduce the Rams' lead to 13-10!

EDIT 4: Bengals takes the lead with a touchdown to establish a new lead of 17-13!

EDIT 5: And the Bengals dominate with a field goal. New score is 20-13!

EDIT 6: Rams get a field goal, and take the score to 20-16.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: Super Bowl 2022 Live Thread

Post by Kaelik »

I feel like I'm living in an alternate dimension watching this game.

Everything about the phrase Super Bowl Quarterback Matthew Stafford of the Los Angeles Rams is designed to break my brain as someone who used to watch a lot of football 10 years ago and mostly stopped keeping up.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Aaaand the Rams reacapture the lead with a touchdown with a new score of 23-20!

EDIT: Aand the game is over with the Rams as the victors! Hell yeah!
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

So sports betting is now a big thing. If you were to bet on a football game you can bet on someone to win. Since one team is supposed to be better than another, you might see Rams -180. This was a 'money line bet I saw. This means you had to bet $180 to win $100 (you also get your bet back if you win). So if you has bet $180 on the Rams, you'd get $100.

In football people often bet 'against the spread' (ATS). It's a form of handicapping. It's not enough for a team to win - the better team has to win my a certain number of points. Going into the game, the Rams had to win by 4.5 points.

They did not.

So if you bet on the Rams to win ATS, even though they won the game, they didn't overcome the handicap, so people who bet on the Bengals won.

Since the amount spent on gambling in this country dwarfs all the box office returns on all the movies every year by a factor of more than 10 I am curious to see what the general feeling is tomorrow among people who bet the game.
-This space intentionally left blank
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

I've got a couple uncles that are into sports betting, and they were carrying on about hoping the Giants would "beat the spread" (lose, but not lose as hard as expected) back in the 90s. There's not going to be much of a reaction today. Some bets won, some lost, happens every day.

4.5 isn't even a big spread. It's hardly a surprise.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.