Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Good show, JK.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Small victory that is personally yuge: Yesterday I actually ran a mile -- it took almost 6 months since the hamstring injury to recover enough to do so.
Awesome.

How'd you injure your hamstring?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, congrats. Out of interest, do you know your time?

I don't actually know what a normal time for running a mile is, though.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

At six miles an hour (a comfortable slow run/fast jog) a mile is 10 minutes. The fastest speed on most treadmills is 12/mph which corresponds to a 5 minute mile. Anything in the 7-8 minutes I would consider 'good' - not Olympic caliber but certainly excellent for non-athletes.
-This space intentionally left blank
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Mask_De_H wrote: Awesome.

How'd you injure your hamstring?
I tripped over a mover's dolly at work and fell in a way that involved doing an involuntary split.
Thaluikhain wrote: Out of interest, do you know your time?

I don't actually know what a normal time for running a mile is, though.
I was just under 10 minutes -- so it was technically "running" and not just "jogging". Now it was indoors on a treadmill, which is always notably faster for me than outdoor running.

For comparison, last year pre-injury I could put in up to four miles on the treadmill at a 9 min/mile pace or strain real hard to finish a single treadmill mile in under 8 minutes. Since I'm only competing with myself and running for health, those are the numbers that matter.

If instead I was trying to compete with seriously competitive runners: the Unversity of Pittsburgh track team's record mile time is a fraction of a second over 4 minutes.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I just found out that my uncle goes by the alternate name of Swami Loopynanda.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Turns out confiding to my partner that I was having suicidal ideation won't make her threaten to break up with me. Last partner I had informed me that telling her I had suicidal ideation was a form of abuse (and no, I wasn't threatening to kill myself because she was trying to break up with me. She damn sure threatened to break up with me if I ever told her that again). I'm still learning what sane women do that crazy women don't do.

Honestly weird having someone that won't disown me for opening up to them. Still more used to screaming my frustrations into the void but I'll work on it.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Hopefully this is nothing but a good thing.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Huh, I'm back after a while. I don't know why I reopened the Den today after almost a two-three year break from this place.

Of course, coming into the "it's Personal" thread a few years later might mean that I should make a giant post about all the stuffs that has happened (and a lot has) but let's actually see if I'm going to even still be in this community in the future.

So tl;dr for last two years (well, technically I haven't posted the longform yet -- but whatevs) is I got divorced, moved 1.5k miles away, started a master's degree in Rhetoric and Composition, and now sit trying to find the motivation to finish the degree and figure out the next step. Oh, also I injured my ankle several times.
~

Really, what I've been kinda thinking about recently is motivation. As someone with chronic clinical depression and PTSD, I'm starting to feel mental burnout. Over the last three-ish years, I've kinda just worked non-stop so as not to actually figure out what's happening (PTSD, divorce, depression, school, all the changes). Now, even with psychiatric help at this point, I've started to realize that a lot of these questions/concerns don't have a proper satisfactory answer. I think that's why I came back to the Den. It's been one of my longest serving online communities of just belonging. But that's the funny part. I haven't thought game theory or fandom in a while. So, I wonder if I even have anything to say in any forum that's not MPSIMS anymore.

~

huh, I guess I do need an actual tl;dr now. So -- big life changes, I r ex-gamer and now back for your rational answers. SOLVE MY PROBLEMS, Den.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Welcome back.

In three years not lots has happened.

L5R is getting a new edition, Paradox bought the WoD out of CCP's hands (but V5 threatens to be as bad as Requiem, if not worse), Robin Laws is still the only game designer I respect (and is still releasing games, I backed his Yellow King kickstarter), Onyx Path was left now only with Exalted (big mistake, since Exalted would make for great videogames, and Paradox should have bought it from CCP as well), and dnd 5E is still abandonware.

Also I understand the need of somewhere to belong.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Welcome back, Cyn.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I feel you, Cynic. Depression, ptsd, panic disorder, and an auto-immune disorder (in addition to obesity-related problems, but I consider those self-inflicted). Therapy helped the ptsd, drugs helped the depression and panic attacks. Finding a therapist that would acknowledge that I had real problems i want fixed rather than one that just wanted to give me a pep talk was hard but worth it.

And I'm here less because I belong and more because this is one of the few boards I wasn't either banned from or politely but firmly asked to leave by the admins.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:maj: Welcome back. :)
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Maj wrote::maj: Welcome back. :)
It's the :Maj: smiley. I had forgotten all about it. :)
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

wb, Cynic.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

'sup cynic

In other news, the National Weather Service has just gone ahead and officially made things into a winter storm warning, so there's now officially no such thing as spring here. Glad that's settled.
bears fall, everyone dies
erik
King

Post by erik »

Welcome back cynic. For your sake I hope you’re not in the Midwest now. I drove home to Indiana from Iowa on Sunday night through what was practically a blizzard and now we have thunderstorms all day with likelihood of hail and tornadoes since the temperature kicked up 20-30 degrees... and due for snow again on the weekend.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Midwest people like to bitch about the weather.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Or maybe the weather likes to bitch about people living in the Midwest.

I lived in Iowa for 9 years - it certainly felt like the weather was trying to make me feel unwelcome.
-This space intentionally left blank
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

As far as I can tell everyone bitches about the weather, it's just funnier in the midwest because it's routine shit whereas other places are under water or on fire.
bears fall, everyone dies
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

There is a reason why - when given the opportunity to move anywhere in the US - we only moved 20 miles west. Hell, Portland's weather is too extreme for me (Yes, I am a weather weenie. No, I do not care). Bleh.

I have to say, the weird weather "over there" is affecting us at work because we work with a whole bunch of properties that need things like new roofs (rooves?) and porches and paint and so on. And the weather is not cooperating.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Midwest people like to bitch about the weather.
There fixed that for you.

Also, no, Just the southwest. Here's my complaining about the weather.

I live in the hill country in Texas and my college is on the fucking hill. It's humid and i"m on crutches. It's so fucking humid right now. So walking up and down everywheres while sweat makes the crutch dig harder into the ribs near your pits sucksss.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So... After multiple evaluations and testing, docs think that Gi's autistic. Today has been so exhausting that I have no clue how I feel about this.