It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Occluded Sun wrote:
Prak wrote:Whoever put that sign up at the co-op is an overbearing fuckwad, who may have some kind of trauma, or have just had a really fucking bad day, that explains why they put up that note.
Ah, the self-serving bias. Poor behavior by the other is attributed to innate characteristics; poor behavior by the self, or members of an in-group, is attributed to situational factors. In other words, we make excuses for people we want to think well of and go out of our way to condemn people we don't wish to think well of.

Most people are power- and status-hungry jerks. To my knowledge, their sexual orientation has no bearing on that.
I noticed you left out the rest of Prak's quote that points out that the person who wrote the note was wrong in using the tone, and clarified that the person may have had some situational factor.

You're just flitting in and out, sniping at small parts of people's posts, all while avoiding responding the to meat of any post directed at you.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Or the meat of any post not directed at him as you noticed he ignored important context of Prak's quote.
-This space intentionally left blank
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

There IS no meat in these posts. There's just low-quality soy filler, badly pressed and flavored into what's supposed to be meat substitutes but which not only fool no one with the perceptual ability but also taste awful.

(And as a vegetarian, I am very fond of tofu and other meatless protein sources. You're just the junkfood version of 'em.)
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

If you're just ignoring us because we're all so stupid, why are you even talking to us? It's almost like you're feigning superiority to avoid making or backing any tangible claims.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

RobbyPants wrote:If you're just ignoring us because we're all so stupid, why are you even talking to us? It's almost like you're feigning superiority to avoid making or backing any tangible claims.
Dunning-Kruger.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

RobbyPants wrote:If you're just ignoring us because we're all so stupid, why are you even talking to us? It's almost like you're feigning superiority to avoid making or backing any tangible claims.
Oh, he has made claims, but he's backed away from them as quickly as he can as soon as they're challenged then feigned that he didn't make a claim and we're just too stupid to really understand what he's saying.

For example, this is a claim:
Occluded Sun wrote:It's extraordinary to watch the number of people who are loudly proclaiming Damore's statements to be unscientific... seemingly because they're totally ignorant of the last hundred-and-fifty years' worth of research in the subject, all of which backs him up.

To, whit, the claim is that the last 150 years of scientific studies related to Damore's statements support Damore's claims.

You don't have to go far to find evidence to the contrary - which would indicate AT BEST there is no consensus or AT WORST that Damore's claims are false.

When pressed on it, he claimed that it is so obviously true that he didn't need to find references to show that was the conclusion (likening it to physics papers referencing that gravity exists) even though there is no scientific consensus and there are dozens of peer-reviewed articles showing that.

And rather than ask anyone to take my word for it, I provided a link to an article providing a comprehenisve analysis.

Rather than admit he's wrong, he has been desperately trying to insinuate a position and then refuse to be pinned down. He's a slimy shit-weasel. He's honestly worse than Shit-muffin. I have a high tolerance for general stupidity as well as poor communication skills (remember Shadzar?) and Occluded Sun gets my vote for absolute worst representative of the human race I've encountered on this website. And that's considering that many people take it as a point of pride to be difficult!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I always assumed he's someone's sock. I've often been wrong but that's easier for me to believe that he's someone in disguise rather than he was wandering around the internet, found some obscure message board in the middle of nowhere with a handful of regular posters, and thought to himself "Yep, THIS is the hill I'm going to go die on".
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I assumed he is just a troll who stakes out the most reprehensible position on every issue like a reversed moral compass. My favorite example of this is during the Ebola outbreak in Africa, he said it would be easier to control in the United States because we have the capability to blow up towns and hospitals. A perspective as evil as it is stupid.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I guess it's taken me three extra years to realize what everyone else already knew.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

what the fuck is wrong with people today?
is it a full moon or something?
i got almost killed 3 times today on my way to and from work!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

http://www.moongiant.com/phase/today/

It is, in fact, a full moon today.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ah thanks . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

deaddmwalking wrote:I have a high tolerance for general stupidity as well as poor communication skills (remember Shadzar?)
I do! I'm glad to see you've returned to full fighting form!
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

So, my mother arrived from Florida, fleeing Hurricane Irma. With my four nieces. And my brother. And his dog. Little snug.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Perhaps you should offer to go to their house in Florida and keep an eye on things. Sure, you could die, but if you stay, you might kill someone.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Good luck with that. Glad they're safe. What part of Florida?

My mother-in-law called us from Florida (she lives near Cape Canaveral) last night in a panic and said she was going to evacuate. We planned a route for her using Google and Waze and everything, and then we got a call this morning saying she didn't go and was staying. She sent us an update later on that had all sorts of misinformation in it ("in the forecasts it had been steadily moving from the west coast to the east coast"), so we're not sure if she's just not all there, or getting her information from dubious sources. But there's nothing else we can do for her.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

My second hand news down there was that fleeing was a huge clusterfuck with clogged roadways, no gas for 100 miles, no airplane vacancies. And that was Wednesday. The gas and road situations surely have continued to worsen.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Maj wrote:She sent us an update later on that had all sorts of misinformation in it ("in the forecasts it had been steadily moving from the west coast to the east coast"),
Not as crazy as it might sound. The "spaghetti models" used to predict potentials for the storm's path have been revised a couple times in the last 48 hours, and the revisions had mostly pointed to the eyewall making landfall of the eastern coastline of the state of Florida. (Whereas previous forecasts had tended more towards "it could hit anywhere"). EDIT: and the latest revision is basically "scratch that, oh shit we'te gonna lose Miami"

Of course the storm itself is significantly larger than the width of the Florida peninsula, and a Category 5 hurricane means multiple lethal hazards well outside the area the eyewall passes through.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

erik wrote:My second hand news down there was that fleeing was a huge clusterfuck with clogged roadways, no gas for 100 miles, no airplane vacancies. And that was Wednesday. The gas and road situations surely have continued to worsen.
Well, she certainly couldn't get out now.
Josh_Kablack wrote:Not as crazy as it might sound. The "spaghetti models" used to predict potentials for the storm's path have been revised a couple times in the last 48 hours, and the revisions had mostly pointed to the eyewall making landfall of the eastern coastline of the state of Florida. (Whereas previous forecasts had tended more towards "it could hit anywhere"). EDIT: and the latest revision is basically "scratch that, oh shit we'te gonna lose Miami"

Of course the storm itself is significantly larger than the width of the Florida peninsula, and a Category 5 hurricane means multiple lethal hazards well outside the area the eyewall passes through.
Yeah. At the time we sent her a link to the best prediction and the spaghetti model (the NYT page has both maps on it), there was only one path up the west coast, and the best prediction path was right up the east coast. It has changed such that Irma's path is moving to the west, right up the center of the state (not eastward like she claimed). But wherever she's getting her info from is warped. She had a few other weird things in the email that just made us wonder if she was OK ("We thought it might keep slowly moving east, off the coast."). There was literally no credible source that was saying that.

You can lead a horse to water, and all that. But the horse might give you a heart attack while it dehydrates. :roll:
Last edited by Maj on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Despite all that stuff I heard it's probably still possible to get out. But you do have to be motivated. I saw reports last night that there are buses that cities were using to evacuate people for example.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So, Florida eh?
Isn't that kind of where you'd expect the tsunami from the 8.2 magnitude earthquake in mexico?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

The earthquake happened off the west coast of Mexico in the Pacific. Florida is in the Atlantic. So, no, not at all.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I think an earthquake also struck some part of Japan
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

erik wrote:Despite all that stuff I heard it's probably still possible to get out. But you do have to be motivated. I saw reports last night that there are buses that cities were using to evacuate people for example.
Today's update: She set aside money for us to fly down there and pick her dead corpse out of the remains of her house. And she put her valuables in the dishwasher. *sigh*
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

OgreBattle wrote:I think an earthquake also struck some part of Japan
Yup. They had an even bigger one Thursday morning about 150 miles southeast off the coast, but it thankfully neither it nor the big Mexico quake triggered any tsunami.