It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My great accomplishment so far this year: The Robert E. Howard Bar Guide.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

I just upgraded the operating system on my iphone from either 10.1 or 10.2 to 10.3 and I'm hating it.
  • The change to logging in makes it much slower to log in,
  • all the animations between screens make it appear as if it's slow and clumsy,
  • they've changed the default news app from being a list of lots of news from all over the place to being grouped into categories which is less interesting to scroll through,
  • and worst of all they've changed the calendar so that it goes translucent with multiple events and shrunk the widget so that it doesn't show the whole day. It's now unreadable all the time and useless in showing me quickly what will be happening later that day.
I think it's unlikely I'll be able to change back because it's Apple and they hate anyone who doesn't fit into their preconception of what consumers should want, so does anyone have any suggestions of any calendar widgets that show the whole day and can deal with up to 9 or 10 simultaneous calendar events but still show the first 3-4 letters of the event?

It's a very niche need I know, but the apple default calendar app used to be able to deal with it.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I just learned some Forgotten Realms trivia!
Gond spelled backwards is Dong
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I just learned some Forgotten Realms trivia!
Gond spelled backwards is Dong
Is it tho? :fan:
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My cousins and I were talking about stupid movies and my uncle went on a rant about how we don't have movies like Over The Top anymore because democrats are anti-men and anti-family and that's why the new Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies sucked. If he wasn't such a fucktard it'd be kind of endearing since he has some sort of weird blind spot where he doesn't seem to realize that his children and I are stereotypical mid-30s leftist hipster douche bags who don't actually agree with him on much of anything.* Bonus irony points for the fact that Crystal Skull's happy ending is about an old loner connecting with his son and finally getting married and thus is about as close to a deeply stupid Stallone movie as that franchise will ever get.*

*I can only assume we don't bother him because wearing flannel and dressing decades out of date doesn't set off as many alarm bells in MN. Also, he's an alcoholic. Like, really bad. A lot gets past him.

**For those who aren't up to speed on ill-fated Stallone projects, Over The Top is about a down-on-his-luck trucker connecting with his young estranged son through victory on the Vegas arm wrestling circuit. He couldn't have picked a weirder movie to try to make his case with.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
erik
King

Post by erik »

Heh, I was just explaining Over the Top to mrs erik last night because it was a movie suggested on Amazon Prime and she was like "What the hell is this?" and I said it was "Rocky as an arm wrestling trucker," which is a bit of presumption on my part since the only Rocky movie I've ever seen is Creed, though I did watch Over the Top as a kid.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

it is prety much rocky as an arm wrestling trucker.
better than rambo as an arm wrestling trucker?
not sure.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Honestly, I only brought the movie up because the rerelease poster may be the apex of human achievement. I mean, it's either that or Day of the Dolphin.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ever had a day where everything went so completely wrong it made you want to cry?
Ever had that day be your birthday?

Why do i have to have a sense of taste that makes me hate the taste of alcohol -.-
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Happy birthday anyways?
-This space intentionally left blank
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Stahlseele wrote:Ever had a day where everything went so completely wrong it made you want to cry?
Ever had that day be your birthday?

Why do i have to have a sense of taste that makes me hate the taste of alcohol -.-
There's various beers with flowery aromas that mask any alcohol flavor. Happy birthday.
My cousins and I were talking about stupid movies and my uncle went on a rant about how we don't have movies like Over The Top anymore because democrats are anti-men and anti-family and that's why the new Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies sucked. If he wasn't such a fucktard it'd be kind of endearing since he has some sort of weird blind spot where he doesn't seem to realize that his children and I are stereotypical mid-30s leftist hipster douche bags who don't actually agree with him on much of anything.* Bonus irony points for the fact that Crystal Skull's happy ending is about an old loner connecting with his son and finally getting married and thus is about as close to a deeply stupid Stallone movie as that franchise will ever get.*
Your uncle might be a long closeted gay man with bicep fetish with zero attraction to Rey and other slender girls starring in films as of late.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

erik
King

Post by erik »

OgreBattle wrote:There's various beers with flowery aromas that mask any alcohol flavor.
Lies. Just like lysol doesn't mask the scent of crap, it just adds a second aroma.

Friends used to constantly insist that they could find some alcohol that didn't taste awful to me. None succeeded. I think people who don't have the very bitter taste response to alcohol don't understand.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

I shouldn't be enabling, but isn't this the target market for Zima and Absolut?
erik
King

Post by erik »

Ancient History wrote:I shouldn't be enabling, but isn't this the target market for Zima and Absolut?
Could be. I favored Absolut for getting drunk since fuck it, it all tastes horrible and it's cheap.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Ancient History wrote: Recognition!
Why did you choose to write a bar guide specifically? Did you base your work on letters he wrote to people?
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It came out after I did the index to his collected letters; because Robert E. Howard lived during Prohibition and drank some strange and terrible things, and I conceived the idea of collecting his quotes on drink and adding some period cocktail recipes, and kind of grew from there. It's just a bit of pedantic, meticulous fun. Take a look at it, see for yourself.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Turns out that if you get bad road rash and go cycling again the next day anyway you should probably just turn back home when your dressing comes off mid-ride instead of soldiering on and getting that shit sunburned. I'm a fucking idiot.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Holy shit, I've never had sunburn ON road rash...never even thought of that as possible. Bet it stings a little bit.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

erik wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:There's various beers with flowery aromas that mask any alcohol flavor.
Lies. Just like lysol doesn't mask the scent of crap, it just adds a second aroma.

Friends used to constantly insist that they could find some alcohol that didn't taste awful to me. None succeeded. I think people who don't have the very bitter taste response to alcohol don't understand.
Huh. I'd begun to think I was crazy, I can't stand the taste despite everyone I know insisting that alcohol itself is tasteless.
erik
King

Post by erik »

There's been studies that there is a genetic link for some taste responses, causing some people to experience alcohol as bitter.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

phlapjackage wrote:Holy shit, I've never had sunburn ON road rash...never even thought of that as possible. Bet it stings a little bit.
Oh, hell yeah. This shit is drier than a /r/RedPill poster's dick.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So tonight I got terrorized by some... bird? Yeah, I think it was a bird, because it didn't squeak like a bat does. It was black and scary and had wings and flew and it almost literally scared the shit out of me as I was eating my dinner and watching Cinemasins. This beast from hell just had the balls to fly right into my kitchen, at which point I believe I may have screamed like a girl and ran outside wearing only a pair of shorts. I may also have been crying, I can't recall. Anyway, I left the door open on my way out, and the demon fortunately managed to fly out the door and back into the darkness that spawned it. I have no idea how the thing managed to get inside, but my guess is that it was because we had some roofers doing work on our house earlier today and they must have performed some dark blood ritual to summon Satan's host. Interestingly, this is also the same time of year as when I was terrorized in the night by a bat.

The salient point here is that I am now afraid of birds and my neighbors now know what my pale white chest looks like.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
erik
King

Post by erik »

Shrapnel, are you sure it wasn't one of these?
(spoilered for size)
I do have a friend whose downtown apartment has upon multiple occasions had a bat or bats which needed exterminated/removed. I think the scariest thing about it isn't a bat itself but its potential for rabies. I'm glad whatever it is, is out of your house.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

erik wrote:Shrapnel, are you sure it wasn't one of these?
(spoilered for size)
May have been, really. I didn't get too good a look at it, so my guess that it was a bird is mainly conjecture. All I really saw were wings and black and terror.
I do have a friend whose downtown apartment has upon multiple occasions had a bat or bats which needed exterminated/removed. I think the scariest thing about it isn't a bat itself but its potential for rabies. I'm glad whatever it is, is out of your house.
We used to get bats a lot more often when I was a kid, because there was some kinda hole in the attic that they were getting in through, although that was when I was real little.

More recently, I was woken up by a bat in my room a couple of years ago, and that was pretty trouser-shattering, but mostly because being jolted awake by a big flying thing isn't a pleasant experience. Bats didn't used to freak me out, but ever since then I still get the shivers when I see one.

But yeah, if I never see another winged animal inside my house again, I can die happy.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee