It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

Ancient History wrote:I posted a comment but it got buried in sexy anime gifs and memes.
I was planning on just donating my body for donor and medical/educational use, but now I'm putting this in my will for how to be interred.

We should all be so lucky.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Waifupillows, oppaimousepads and onaholes?
Make future archeologists wonder real hard what the fuck kind of asian nobleman was laid to rest there?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, lemme set the stage for ya.

Two Wednesdays-ish ago, I went to work with only three hours of sleep under my belt, and boy was I fucking out of it. Missing orders, forgetting to give donuts, slicing my hand off, blood everywhere, screaming, the usual sleep deprived stuff.

Anyway, long story short, due to my sleep deprivation I was not in possession of the best judgement on my part and was an even bigger moron than usual and, well, for reasons that are complicated I (lightly) smacked a PoS* and broke it and now I'm finito. They told me by phone. Actually, they didn't. I had to call them Wednesday morning to see if I should come in to work. Not that I was terribly surprised, but still. Tomorrow morning I'm off to collect my final check.

Thing is, I really don't want to be fired. Despite my bellyachin', I kinda like working at Dunkins. It's... comfortable. Besides which, if I did want to stop working there I'd want it to be on my terms, leave with an honourable discharge an' all that. On top of that, it's my only source of income becuase SSDI is administered by a bunch of stingy ninnies.

So, would going in, saying sorry, offering to pay to replace the broken machine and beggin for my job back work? I'm totally willing to sacrifice silly things like "dignity" and "pride", becuase you can't lose what you don't have.

*Point of Sale, those electronic cash register things.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Potentially. Especially if you explain you were sleep deprived and will make sure you get enough sleep going forward. It's no certainty, though.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

A POS is expensive, and it won't be worth it. Unemployment is low so you can get a job as a superstar at Subway or something similar. If you really like Dunkin apply back after six months.

Paying for the POS is a nice gesture, but that isn't the only reason you were terminated. Further, sleep deprivation isn't an excuse. You're responsible for showing up ready to work - if you can't function you should have stayed home (of course doing that could have gotten you fired, too).

Six months from now, they might really want someone that arrives in time at whatever ungodly hour they open and they might be willing to hire you back - if you take ownership of your mistakes without excuses. You'll always have an excuse to be angry/moronic at work but the expectation is that you don't - period.

And while it might be on your terms, there might be a silver lining (if you can call it that). It's possible to be 'too comfortable' and you miss out on something better. DD doesn't have much upward potential (nor might you like being in charge anyway). Your next job could be one where you get to post here from work most days...
-This space intentionally left blank
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Honestly you'd have to make a really damn good case as for why they'd even want you back. Based just on your posts here from your own perspective, I would have fired you ages ago.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'd take it as an opportunity to find a better fit, that may even pay better. Something without direct customer service sounds like a better niche, but I am only guessing. If you were amicable with food industry there's plenty of work in preparation rather than cust serv.

Don't pay to try and go back to somewhere just because it was comfortable.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

deaddmwalking wrote:Your next job could be one where you get to post here from work most days...
I can't imagine any company that would let you post here from work. Unless you owned it, of course. If it wasn't for the lack of startup capital and the fact my brain doesn't work right I'd start a cricket farm and sell cricket protein.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well I mean, I can post here from work whenever I want :D as long as I'm not billing a client right then.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I think your skills and ambition might have landed you in a bit better position in life than mine have though...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I think your skills and ambition might have landed you in a bit better position in life than mine have though...
All my ambition and most of my skill was provided by my parents, I'm definitely born on third base.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Some work experience counts more than others. I got my career start in call center customer service. But it was a big company and I advanced to management. I had to switch companies for my wife's job, but I'm in a good place. I still can't lose my cool with a customer, but I can work from home as much as I want. Some weeks I work more than others, but moat days I can go online as I please. It helps that I don't do Facebook or any other major timewasters.

In any case, unemployment is at a 10 year loe. Someone will hire you and you get a fresh start.

Just remember - if a customer is being an ass and you prove to them they're being an ass you're still not going to get an apology. Best case is they storm off. Even if you win, you lose.
-This space intentionally left blank
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

deaddmwalking wrote:You'll always have an excuse to be angry/moronic at work
You'll always have a reason and maybe even an explanation but very rarely an excuse.

If someone comes in on PCP and swings a bat at your head, that's an excuse.

If you just stay up late, then that's just the second fuck-up of yours they've heard about today.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Voss wrote:Honestly you'd have to make a really damn good case as for why they'd even want you back. Based just on your posts here from your own perspective, I would have fired you ages ago.
This.

Game On,
fbmf
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I was joking about begging for my job back. I'm not that pathetic. Honestly, the thing I'm most bummed out about is no more free lunches and donuts. Seriosuly, I probably saved about $600 in food during the last two years.

Really, though, long term it's probably for the best, since I can start looking for better work where I don't have to stand on my poor feet all day. I may even go back to college, as long as I don't fail the remedial high school algebra class. Again.
fbmf wrote:
Voss wrote:Honestly you'd have to make a really damn good case as for why they'd even want you back. Based just on your posts here from your own perspective, I would have fired you ages ago.
This.

Game On,
fbmf
The perspective that I present in my posts is a very different persona from the one I have IRL. I'm a pretty quite person who tries to avoid trouble.

I was a pretty good employee, or so I like to think, and the only reason I got fired is because I fucked myself in the foot by trying to work on three hours of sleep. Seriously, I defy anyone alive to have good judgement while sleep deprived.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:I was joking about begging for my job back. I'm not that pathetic. Honestly, the thing I'm most bummed out about is no more free lunches and donuts. Seriosuly, I probably saved about $600 in food during the last two years.

Really, though, long term it's probably for the best, since I can start looking for better work where I don't have to stand on my poor feet all day. I may even go back to college, as long as I don't fail the remedial high school algebra class. Again.
fbmf wrote:
This.

Game On,
fbmf
The perspective that I present in my posts is a very different persona from the one I have IRL. I'm a pretty quite person who tries to avoid trouble.

I was a pretty good employee, or so I like to think, and the only reason I got fired is because I fucked myself in the foot by trying to work on three hours of sleep. Seriously, I defy anyone alive to have good judgement while sleep deprived.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you also the person who yelled at a fucking customer for some random shit>?

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I didn't yell at a customer, a customer yelled at me and told me to "go fuck myself" because, I shit you not, he did not like his strawberry Coolata so I said the same to him before I was really aware that I was saying it and could stop myself.

There were also other times folks flipped their shit at me or others, but for the most part I was able to handle them a midge more professionally (i.e. not swear at them).

Aspies don't handle being sweared at very well. I think, for my next job, I'll look for some place more accommodating to folks with ASD.
Half asleep upon my knee
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

You swore at a customer, didn't get proper sleep going into work, and broke something out of anger. That's pretty standard grounds for firing. The way you explain your side makes it seem like you really don't understand your portion of responsibility in all of this. Whether or not someone swore at you first is immaterial.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

RobbyPants wrote:You swore at a customer, didn't get proper sleep going into work, and broke something out of anger. That's pretty standard grounds for firing. The way you explain your side makes it seem like you really don't understand your portion of responsibility in all of this. Whether or not someone swore at you first is immaterial.
Once again someone said exactly what I was thinking before I could get back here to respond, so I'll just say:

This.

As you point out, customer service isn't the right line of work for you. You're going to need something more accommodating, but be advised that it is a rare employer that will feel at peace with you swearing at a client and throwing a temper tantrum and breaking company equipment. To some extent, every job requires interacting with [people who may well do irritating shit that you aren't allowed to swear at] and [equipment you're not allowed to abuse no matter how irritable you are].

Game On,
fbmf
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I've never swore a customer before but if I did I'd probably just pack my shit and leave, justified or not it's a lost cause.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I've worked as a process server, my mom was a nurse that worked ICU & psychiatric, my closest uncle is a cop and my dad is a security guard so it's super hard for me to care much about retail horror stories. At a minimum your story needs to involve a death or getting maliciously peed on before it's worth bringing up at reunions.
bears fall, everyone dies
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

RobbyPants wrote:You swore at a customer, didn't get proper sleep going into work, and broke something out of anger. That's pretty standard grounds for firing. The way you explain your side makes it seem like you really don't understand your portion of responsibility in all of this. Whether or not someone swore at you first is immaterial.
Those were two wholly separate incidents. The jackass customer who swore at me happened like a year ago. I've only swore at a customer once in my entire time at Dunkin Donuts. The firing was last week. MY FIRING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SWEARING AT ANYONE. Just in case anyone still has any confusion over that point.

And I never said I didn't understand why I was fired. I totally know why: I fucked up by breaking an expensive piece of equipment, I paid the price for it, then, in another sterling fuck up in a recent streak of bad descisions, I posted about me losing my getting fired here, which further reminded me why I prefer being attacked by bees than opening up to people. (I wrongly thought like two or three people, most of whom would've been Darth, would say, "oh, that's too bad" and leave it at that.)

I accept that I'm responsible for my actions, and I'm (attempting) to moving on. (I also never said I threw a temper tantrum. A broken monitor does not mean a tantrum.)

Is there anything else, or can we finally get beyond Thunderdome?
Half asleep upon my knee
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Low-end food service is its own layer of hell. People Hoagie-eating-motherfuckers will treat a worker worse for screwing up a five dollar sammich than they will a plumber or accountant for screwups that costs them hundreds.

There are real reasons that 90% of the restaurants I worked at had an annual turnover rates above 300%.

The bit where I think you screwed up was in not demanding they take you to the hospital to get stitches for the "blood everywhere" bit. I hope you were exaggerating for comic effect, because there is no way anyone who is currently bleeding from their hands should be allowed to handle food.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Thu May 11, 2017 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:
Those were two wholly separate incidents. The jackass customer who swore at me happened like a year ago. I've only swore at a customer once in my entire time at Dunkin Donuts. The firing was last week. MY FIRING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SWEARING AT ANYONE. Just in case anyone still has any confusion over that point.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh god. Spoiler alert, the fact that a couple months ago you cussed at a customer is 100% a factor in your firing. People don't magically forget that shit.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Shrapnel wrote:

And I never said I didn't understand why I was fired. I totally know why: I fucked up by breaking an expensive piece of equipment, I paid the price for it, then, in another sterling fuck up in a recent streak of bad descisions, I posted about me losing my getting fired here, which further reminded me why I prefer being attacked by bees than opening up to people. (I wrongly thought like two or three people, most of whom would've been Darth, would say, "oh, that's too bad" and leave it at that.)

I accept that I'm responsible for my actions, and I'm (attempting) to moving on. (I also never said I threw a temper tantrum. A broken monitor does not mean a tantrum.)

Is there anything else, or can we finally get beyond Thunderdome?
I was never implying they were the same. I was citing a pattern of behavior showing that you're irresponsible at work (at least customer service) and seem incapable of accepting the bare minimum level of responsibility for your actions. While you say you accept responsibility, you always have some weaksauce excuse.

I'm adding this reply to that list.