Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Birds pooping on my balcony
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Mord wrote:It's a physical contact thing. Transubstantiation is a touch-range Transmutation spell that requires ritual casting. Holy water blessing is also touch-range but can be done as a full-round action.
I was still a practicing Catholic when I heard somebody tell a joke about blessing the entire ocean. I asked my youth group advisor, my priest, and his backup priest, and was surprised to hear them all give me the same answer as the joke: yes, you CAN turn the entire ocean into holy water with a single ceremony, but then millions of people and fish would be committing sacrilege by swimming in it (the backup priest needed some prompting on this last point, but he agreed).
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Zaranthan wrote:
Mord wrote:It's a physical contact thing. Transubstantiation is a touch-range Transmutation spell that requires ritual casting. Holy water blessing is also touch-range but can be done as a full-round action.
I was still a practicing Catholic when I heard somebody tell a joke about blessing the entire ocean. I asked my youth group advisor, my priest, and his backup priest, and was surprised to hear them all give me the same answer as the joke: yes, you CAN turn the entire ocean into holy water with a single ceremony, but then millions of people and fish would be committing sacrilege by swimming in it (the backup priest needed some prompting on this last point, but he agreed).
I think that last point would be somewhat contentious. Some people consume blessed water and some others regard these people as pious.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If you were in a plane, could you turn a raincloud into holy water? Or fog?

(If I ever write a terrible vampire Jack the Ripper story, the latter might be important to know)
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

If you turn fog into holy water, and then people cough in the fog, do those people go to hell?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Is there a limit to how much you can turn into holy water?
I am now imagining trying to lure vampires into a backyard with a prepared swimming pool or to a fountain or something . .
And eh, if all else fails, there's always Water-Balloons, breakable bottles and super soakers ._.
No, go away, screw your emo vampire cool shit, i wanna burn faces with bright neon coloured weaponry and swimming pools!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Or, blessing the water reservoir of a bar's sprinkler system.

Hey, it worked in Constantine with demons.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Foxwarrior wrote:If you turn fog into holy water, and then people cough in the fog, do those people go to hell?
They go to Ravenloft.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Stahlseele wrote:Is there a limit to how much you can turn into holy water?
I am now imagining trying to lure vampires into a backyard with a prepared swimming pool or to a fountain or something . .
And eh, if all else fails, there's always Water-Balloons, breakable bottles and super soakers ._.
No, go away, screw your emo vampire cool shit, i wanna burn faces with bright neon coloured weaponry and swimming pools!
It appears to be one full "thing" of water, if oceans are reasonable. SO I guess you could define it as "everything."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Maybe someone did that. Might explain why we don't hear about vampires so much these days.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I bless...the atmosphere. That's one thing isn't it? And a fair bit of it is water.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Orca wrote:I bless...the atmosphere. That's one thing isn't it? And a fair bit of it is water.
Bless water, which evaporates and enters the water cycle. Therefore, I suppose one could do that as a(n indirect) way to bless the rains down in Africa.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

So...at my workplace, they are going to make about 10% of us redundant next week due to covid. Now, they are going to look at stats and numbers and things first, and while it'd be bragging to say I was the best, it'd not be bragging to say I'm not in the worst 10%, so my job should be safe, but still...
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

They cut 10% of my company, too.
It was not an evenly distributed 10% where each office decimated themselves, though. That probably would have been preferable. They're more likely to just shut down an entire branch site, if your workplace is big enough.
K
King

Post by K »

Meikle641 wrote:
Orca wrote:I bless...the atmosphere. That's one thing isn't it? And a fair bit of it is water.
Bless water, which evaporates and enters the water cycle. Therefore, I suppose one could do that as a(n indirect) way to bless the rains down in Africa.
Catholic holy water is pure water, ritual, and addition of ingredients. Water and salt for blessings, water and oil for baptisms, and water and ashes for consecrating churches.

So no, you can't bless the water cycle. Probably not the ocean either, because of fish piss.
Last edited by K on Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

It's next week, and I wasn't one of the people made redundant, so there's that.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

It looks like the Canadian/US border closure has been extended another month. While it’s sad that I’ll have less time to visit my relatives, I honestly have to say I feel safer up here.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I guess I can take the cardboard to the dump later...

(spoilered for huge)
A couple short videos, too
Last edited by RobbyPants on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That . . does not look like a legit dumping ground to me . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

I feel much safer up here // pictures of wild bears.

That's got to say something
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Krusk wrote:I feel much safer up here // pictures of wild bears.

That's got to say something
Honestly, I feel safer up here. Once you get out of the big cities, the pandemic has barely spread up here. There have been less than a dozen cases in the "nearby" town in the past three months. Apart from maybe two new cases that might have happened recently, they've all been resolved.

That, and the PM isn't threatening to turn the military on its citizens.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How's the food
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

i get you. I've got bears near me too. And the military marching around cities and a lunatic with nukes in a pandemic hotspot.

So just bears sounds real nice right now
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

OgreBattle wrote:How's the food
Not bad. I've been becoming a better cook since we moved up here in 2018.

The food is a bit more expensive because of how remote the town is. That, and currently, we're not even driving to town (normally 2 1/2 hours each way), so we're having groceries flown up. On the plus side, since the pandemic started, the band has been covering costs for the charter to fly up the groceries. On the downside, I can't easily get booze shipped up here. I think the road to town is currently open, but I don't really feel like a five-hour round trip and making my family self-isolate for 14 days just to get some beer.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

RobbyPants wrote:I think the road to town is currently open, but I don't really feel like a five-hour round trip and making my family self-isolate for 14 days just to get some beer.
You can brew your own. I'm sure a Mister Beer kit or similar is available where you are. It takes up some space, and brewing smells like yeast, so there are reasons you might not want to go that route.

During prohibition, raisins were popular for making wine. Here's a recipe

In personal news, my cousin who developed epileptic seizures fell in the bathroom and required emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain. It is most likely that he has severe brain damage. They have determined that he is not likely to survive when removed from a respirator. His parents have decided to remove him from life support very soon.

My father-in-law has been fighting bile duct cancer for more than a year. The treatments were determined to have ceased to be effective in January. He was trying to qualify for a drug trial, but was not healthy enough to do so. He had his spleen removed to try to qualify as a last-ditch effort, but that does not appear to have worked. At this point we don't know how long he has - he'll begin a chemotherapy regimen that is designed to slow, but not stop, the cancer. We'll be visiting him for 10 days in early July.
-This space intentionally left blank