My Disgaea Game... Huge Success

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

My Disgaea Game... Huge Success

Post by Koumei »

So I ran the first session tonight. Apparently I haven't lost the knack. Also, the group is pretty quick - I figured they'd spend the first session getting their shit together and maybe deliver one invite. They got two done...

The party:
Ghost Knight 3 with a black bear for a mount, looking at being high DR and mass-hitting (TWF and Whirlwind)
Nekomata Samurai 3 (in future going into Rock Star, a PrCl we cooked up. TWF and Horde Breaker and Whirlwind means many many attacks)
Angel Jester 3 (TWF and PBS, oh hai I thought I'd flask you with Fire Traps. In future taking Divine Comedian, a Flasking/Jester PrCl I cooked up)

So they meet up with Vurasel (totally not Etna), and she ends up asking them to deliver invites for her. She tried declaring them as her minions, they pointed out they're the main characters, she ended up offering to pay them well (but no health insurance).

First they decided to go "That way" (there were recipients in three directions, they randomly pointed at a completely different direction, so with their bad Nav skills, we're using a Warhams scatter die. It pointed them in the direction of the Knight). They spotted an ambush by orcs, and ambushed the ambushers...

Round 1: one orc does a whole point of damage to the Ghost, one does nearly half the HP of the Nekomata. Angel then flasks two orcs to death, Nekomata then kills 3 adjacent orcs, and finally Bear + Knight charge and obliterate the final orc. Bamf.

They then spend a night at an inn, the Dog and Duck. They eat Duck... with special sauce (guess. Hint: the inn has a name). The cat is delighted.

They run off without paying the bill, so the head of security sketches their faces. This may come back to haunt them one day. They then encounter the orc camp that they were supposed to notice and wander past, but they instead enter it and do a performance, Blues Brothers style. This makes the orcs violent (and thus happy), and so the orc captain agrees to go to their concert (see: the tea party. Vurasel does not know about this).

Finally they find Sir Kobaine... but when they convince him they can get the orcs to go do something else (see: attend the concert), he agrees to go to the party, seeing as the lake will be safe.

---

Next, they randomly end up (via the scatterdie) heading to the medusae. On the way they do a gig for a small town, and the town elder says he has been speaking with "Sam" (the bear - they decided the bear is the manager, so I decided the bear has full ranks in Diplomacy and stuff) and arranges for them to spend the night in the best hotel there, for free. Also he asks them to deal with the Red Parrot of Pat Ferrick! When he mentions that it's a giant bird, the Nekomata agrees fully, deciding to eat it.

So they do just that - it surprises them, and fails to do anything with the Colour Spray, and then gets flasked and charged and stuff. It takes significant damage, but then successfully Stuns and Blinds the cat and ghost... only to get flasked to death. It is eaten. The party is gifted with "Geranium Lake" paint. They then invite the entire town to their concert.

And so they find the statue tower and meet the medusae. They talk the girls into attending the rock concert ("You don't even have to speak to Vurasel, you can just steal her statues!"), but I'll make them do some negotiator thing later on anyway. Then they decided to head off for the swamp... and the die says they're going the wrong way.

We decided to call it a night there, and at 2/5 complete (and the early levels being rapid advancement), I seriously gave them a level. They're looking forwards to new toys at the level 6-7 range anyway, so it can't hurt.

So in the end? Only two actual fights, one of them a mook-squash that actually dealt a little damage (and still showed "PCs are awesome!") and the other a "boss" fight that was actually harmless. And they got a surprising amount of stuff done, and are already providing things to work with for future stuff. Things are looking promising.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, so here we have some pictures of the NPCs.

Vurasel:

Sir Kobaine:

Orc Boss:

3 Medusas:
...I know I fucked up the boobs/ruffled clothing of the one on the left. I was trying for a weird design and... yeah.

Red Parrot of Pat Ferrick:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, second session! (Yes, it's once per two weeks, allows for greater flexibility.)

So the group decided to make their way to the swamp, and got lost as usual. They found a series of pegleg-prints in the mud, suggesting Prinny activity, and saw an invite dropped there. Deciding they didn't want to get their feet wet, they went to Vurasel to ask to borrow prinnies to use as rafts. A good enough Diplomancy check told them "yes, you can have three". So the prinnies were forced to be rafts. The group then encounter Jeeves, the dragon's butler:

And an assassin vine. But they politely drink tea with him (the cat passes the Fort save against swamp water, the ghost... is a ghost, the angel uses sleight of hand to pretend to drink) and make friends. I should point out none of us like combat THAT much, so it's easy for us to agree to let it slide without a fight.

Jeeves directs them inside, where they encounter the Children of the Corn:

They do a good enough job of confusing them that they get past and meet the dragon:

He is delighted to be invited - although he has trouble reading it. "My eyesight isn't what it's going to be" (he's a wyrmling, and making a reference to the fact that as he ages his Wisdom will improve, improving his Spot and Listen). They convince him to take Jeeves with him so that he doesn't get attacked by adventurers on the way (a real threat for a black dragon), and they told him to just insure the place so if it collapses in his absence he can collect a pay-out.

Oh, also, they located him by Scent. Yay for racial abilities. He smells of sulfur as I decided that's the acid of his breath weapon.

Anyway, after they leave, they "feed" the assassin vine, throwing a prinny to it. Let me bold the key words there.

throwing a prinny to it

>throwing
>prinny

The explosion didn't hurt it, as explosions equal fire, and 1d6 isn't getting past Fire Resist 10, but it attacks, and they murderise it in one round flat. The Knight takes some actual damage though.

They then stay at an inn in a town, after performing on top of a statue in town square. They rest up, regain HP, and portal to Arborea (using a warp gate - Arborea is open-access for alignment reasons). Once there, they enjoy the sight, the cat chases some rabbits... and they go find that Primrose's house is foreclosed due to her being in prison. It has a number to call, so the cat starts shouting that number out... over and over again, until a subpoena for [Disturbing the Peace] is issued.

They follow the court summons, where the Dark Court is filled with prinnies, dood. They are found GUILTY, and each gain 3 Felony (no effect) and 15K Hell (GP: they can each buy another minor magic item later), as well as being sentenced to 4 floors in prison... where they need to meet Primrose anyway.

So they see her:

Arguing with the warden:

over a chest, and distract the pair with music... while they steal the chest (gaining a healing cake and a pair of glasses of Deflection-to-AC). They then establish who is who, and the Warden points out the rules: it starts with Rules 1 & 2 of Fight Club, has NO FUN for rule three, then moves onto the Gibbs rules. There are probably the Black Books rules too.

So they go to the next floor, where they meet a Dryad who wants them to go spreading chestnuts from her tree, so she can move further (she has not figured out she can carry them). They throw them about, hitting a Choker in the face, and getting into a fight with two Chokers and two Dire Badgers.

LONGEST FIGHT ALL GAME: almost three whole rounds, and like fifteen fucking minutes, holy shit.

They take damage but ultimately win, the cat took the least and Primrose (being a useless NPC here) is on 1 HP... so bites the cat's ear, doing nonlethal to gain temp HP. They then go up to the Blizzard Level (after telling the Dryad to just carry the chestnuts - the cat wants to get her as a cohort later when she becomes a rock star), where they find a snow citadel. The door is snow, so they barge on in, meeting an ice mephit who says they can go up the stairs if they beat her in a dance-off.

Team "Engrish Title" (that's the name of the band) vs MC Mister Cavern, DING!

...MC MC actually wins, so the cat rushes up with her 60' speed. MC MC gets pissy and uses Chill Metal on the ghost knight, who just switches his Resistance to Cold and gets through mostly unscathed. They all then just wander past, the mephit not going into combat, and they progress to a floor that looks like heaven.

Where there is a stairway back down to the Abyss. "It looks like someone recently bought the stairway to here". They quickly get the Stairway to Heaven reference, and convince the Warden to go to the party with Primrose as a community service thing (as opposed to needing to fight her), sticking a Prinny in charge of the place: Officer Dood.

With that done, they wander down, back to the Abyss, and now have only one thing to go.

I left it at that, calling it a night. They gained an extra level each, and the Black Bear evolved into a Polar Bear for the knight to ride. I know that, at CR==level-1, it's pretty damn good, but it hasn't been contributing that much really. It's all good.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Right, so they started off seeking out a store to buy magic items. They bought a Stylish Fedora (bonus to saves vs Enchantments, at level 6 it reflects all Curses the wearer saves against) for the Knight, a Mallet (3 sizes: portable/hidden, regular (5' reach) and big (10' reach), can shift it about as a Free action, so it reaches 5-10', at level 5 it gets Greater Mighty Wallop at will, and at level 15 it temporarily shrinks anyone hit (1 size category) for the Samurai, and a Disguise Pen (draw disguises on people: Disguise Self at will) for the Jester.

They then made their way to the Dark Assembly, putting on a performance and making bursts of colour and such, convincing them to grant access to Jangling Hiter (permanent access). They then took a taxi there, because why not.

I decided that because they are:
[*]An angel
[*]Technically a demon/monster
[*]A ghost
[*]A polar bear (the only mortal, and nobody harasses polar bears)

They would not be randomly attacked by Kytons: Kytons are interested in torturing sentient mortals, especially humans. So they actually befriended one (who made a friendly offer to go have a drink... in a menacing way, because that's how they talk). The Kytons drank them under the table, and provided a vague map to where their target is. They visited and she was delighted with the idea... they used the Disguise Pen to sneak her out.

Natural 20... Cha +3... Item Bonus +10... 2x Aid Other = +4... 37 total.
A Kyton on patrol saw them and made a Spot check, with 17 for a total of 18. So despite the chains, the drawn-on hat, moustache, nose and glasses fooled the residents and they got away.

All fights: avoided

So they return to Vurasel's domain and rest up, deciding to hold the concert the next day - after the tea party. They also set the stage up, and she allowed Prinnies to be used for this (and made into speakers) because "Screw 'em, they're prinnies" and "I could charge all the attendees a lot of money".

So they rest. They end up at the Magic Tea Party, with:
[*]Vurasel
[*]Sir Kobaine (next to Boss Orc, the Orc Boss)
[*]Nib (the Kyton)
[*]Blossom the Alraune Pistoleer
[*]King Narrapotev IV (next to the Alraune)
[*]Primrose (with her Warden between her and the Knight)
[*]The three Medusae, the "evil" one next to the Knight
[*]Sam (their bear)
[*]Arn and Cromwell

Given the argument between Kobaine and Nib, when Nib wanted the jam, the angel swiped it (Sleight of Hand to swap with marmalade: huge, beat Spot by over 10, "he doesn't even notice the flavour change") and threw it over to her.

Prinny spilled tea on the Cat, except Ref save was so good as to dodge easily. Prinny is then turned into a pyrotechnic device for the concert. Medusa tries to EYE BEAM the Knight (Dex damage... he can heal it all with a move-action), but it goes through him (being a "turn to stone" effect, I handwaved it to not effect him) and hits the Warden. Who then starts attacking the Medusa, and things are getting tense with other arguments...

Vurasel calls for Hell Pepper Cake. But the prinnies are on strike. So they cause a cluster explosion by throwing one prinny at the rest. Problem SOLVED! They then go to get the cake, and it's in the room marked "Beware of Wyvern". The cat opens the door, Tumbles past, grabs it and moves, all with the one action (having a Move speed of 50' or so). Cake defuses the situation and everyone is happy.

All fights: avoided

They then hold their concert, directing groups into a proper cluster so they can brawl and the team can crowd-surf, and earn over a hundred Hell each. Sam fails to crowd-surf, crushing someone, but whatever.

They then receive their rewards, which are actually items they could have received as treasure if they had decided to loot Vurasel's mansion (and fought shit in the process... shame, I wanted to try out the Alraune Totemist).

Ice Sickle
[*]Magic Weapon rules
[*]+1d6 Ice damage (and the whole load can be made Ice damage at will)
[*]Critical: enemy Slowed 1 round
[*]might add another fancy effect or two later on as levels are gained)

The Jester took it when I said it's throwable. So she has Sickle, Knight has Hammer, Cat is the Star... TEAM SOVIET!

Spooky Cloak
[*]Flickering shadows cause 20% Miss Chance against all attacks
[*]1/day can do each of the Cloaker Moans

Knight took it: yes, it's actually a Cloaker

Sexy Underwear
[*]Detailed somewhere else.

The Samurai took it.

So they all have their rewards, and they then received a letter:

"If Avariel, Quess, Harry and Sam are to immediately travel to Count Gorbachoff's manor to attend the Battle of the Bands, they will be handsomely rewarded. They are to provide own sound equipment, and are to bring:

[*]No garlic
[*]No crucifixes
[*]No wooden stakes

Nor are they to look up the word 'Vampire' in a dictionary."

Quess made the Spot check and noticed the split infinitive. And so next session they begin their journey...

It was still a few solid hours, but not as long as usual (also days are getting a little longer, so I was surprised that sun was still up) - largely because fights help pad session length out and they avoided them all. Still, we all had fun and it was over. So they hit level 6 - advancement will now slow down a bit.

Now everyone has TWF, and the Knight gets the Shield (parry) bonus from a rapier, knocking sledgehammers aside with it! The Cat uses her clawed hand to knock axes aside! And when the Angel hits +6 BAB, she will parry blades and giant fists away with an acid flask. Awesome.

Angel took first level of Divine Comedian, too. Also, everyone is referring to their feats as both awesome and fun. Pathfailure can eat a steaming bowl of dicks compared to this.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, another session where they got further than I had imagined.

The group 'ported to the beach and immediately kicked the sandcastle door down, exploring it. The ghost then ascended the stairs and looked around, seeing the crab approach. I decided they could communicate, seeing as his Perform: Drums was good enough to match the clickety-click of the pincers.

They asked where they might find a vampire, it suggested vampire squid could be found underwater, or in jars in the town... as well as commissioning them to build some extensions (between Know: ArcEng and being on good terms with some medusae, they can do it).

Next they approached the town, and ate one store empty, before being told where Count Gorbachoff could be found. So they went to the castle, reasoned with the guards, convinced them they had no stakes, silverware, garlic, crucifixes, suns or golf clubs*, then got the autographs of the team before letting them in.

Jeeves (the Erynga) showed them upstairs before introducing them to the other contestants at dinner time. The next day, they did a few things:

-interfered with the sound equipment for rivals
-got info from the judges and the Count as to what music is liked
-fooled the rivals into thinking they liked other music types
-set up more explosives, er, "pyros"

And for the performance, they seriously kicked ass, even juggling the prinnies ("Dood Patrol"). So the prinnies were DQed due to exploding, and Team PCs ("Engrish Title") won. They just about brought the roof down, before being allowed to pick a prize from the Rozen Queen vending machine.

Cat: portable stage (from handheld to 10x15', levitates and provides +1/2 level to Perform checks)
Ghost: magic sledgehammer (standard magic item, can be used as a drumstick on anything to use it as a drum, flat-footed targets hit must pass a Fort save or be KOed for a round)
Angel: wing charms (+1/2 level to Perform checks and 1/minute Wings of Cover)

They then had a meal and retired to their rooms. Where the Count attacked them with two swarms of bats... he rolled badly for Initiative.

And so he died (and almost hit -60) before his turn ever came up. The frigging swarms outlasted him despite 13 HP each (thanks to immunity: weapons).

And so they then received the castle and the business, and things left off there. They levelled, so Sam is now a Dire Bear, the Cat entered her Prestige Class, the Ghost is trying to think of a PrCl for level 11) and the Angel continued Divine Comedian.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Koumei wrote:So they see her:

Arguing with the warden:

over a chest
With that chest, you wouldn't think there'd be any arguing! Looks like there's plenty for everyone :biggrin:
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, I like drawing breasts.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Nice nipples. Uh, I mean, art.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I really need to scan more art... meh, effort.

Anyway, this was the last session for the year, probably, as we're getting into that annoying time where everything is happening. It was also a kind of short-ish session, with the following:

[*]The slimes running the factory went crying for help due to bandits.
[*]They found a 4-pack of Ogre Zombies wandering back for more and killed them.
[*]They tracked them back to the forest and decided to make the search easier by setting it on fire.
[*]They went to the nearest RozenQueen store and asked for "a fire", buying a tindertwig, a jar of oil, a flask of alchemist fire, a torch, a necklace of fireballs and a burning bag.
[*]They combined them to set the forest on fire.
[*]I let this wipe out another Ogre 4-pack and the four Shrubbery Boars, seeing as money still vaguely means something to them.
[*]They wandered in when the fire ended, and got slapped in the face by a Zombie Wyvern. The Vine Horrors hiding away then made some Assassin Vines.
[*]Some damage later, the party won, but MORE VINES!
[*]They found the Horrors and made them die. Much horror at the following:

"Malleability (Ex): Vine Horrors can slide through any crack 1" wide. Moving through a 1" crack (or similar opening) does not impede them."

No, they didn't use this ability.

[*]They kicked the door down, and spoke with the terrified Eryngi, who pointed them to the bawss and gave them a cookie.
[*]The boss was too scared/lazy (scared) to fight, so gave them the potions he'd made and offered to set up a contract.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So the team were woken up by an explosion. A reasonably loud one, too. It turns out that the Eldritch Dismisulator had exploded (see other thread).

They immediately went to Speak With Dead with Count Gorbachoff, and he helped direct them to Mechanus where they could get a new one.

Yeah, they had trouble getting there, what with the form-signing, so went to a Legal Firm in Dis (2nd layer of Hell) to deal with it. So they had to climb to the second floor and look in the cabinet marked "Files, Folders and Abishai". And they had to punch the Abishai out.

When that was handled, they finally went to Mechanus, and managed to get the cog as change from a vending machine (it sold 5' squares) so they could wake the glassblower up, and they just paid cash for the new Eldritch Dismisulator.

After that, they received the letter from Seedle, and decided they didn't want to turn him down OR renegotiate existing contracts. So they decided to just take over someone else's. A quick trip to Nessus (9th of Hell) and they murderised a Very Young Red Dragon for his.

The Dragon didn't get a single turn: he went last, was Dazed by the cat, and that REALLY hurt when the Knight's second turn came around, what with Designate Opponent... yeah.

So after all of that they could take it over and then go strike a deal with Seedle. And that's where we called it. They hit level 8, and next session is the "suddenly a guest!" episode.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

FUCK

I was typing it all up but accidentally refreshed.

Game happened, was good. So fuck it to fuckness, when I'm less pissed off you get dot points.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Koumei wrote:FUCK

I was typing it all up but accidentally refreshed.

Game happened, was good. So fuck it to fuckness, when I'm less pissed off you get dot points.
Also maybe time to get a browser that doesn't lose your text when you refresh. :(
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

[*]Laozi joined for the session.
[*]Used spells to set up a hot spring... near the BEACH
[*]Gave girls a discount, for boob-looking reasons
[*]Put a 2-for-1 coupon in the castle's letterbox
[*]They wake up, have pizza with all insectivorous ingredients: fish, tomatoes* and spiders**
[*]The mail: lots of fan mail, one challenge (ignored) and the coupon
[*]They check it out, and then a half-hour argument (in character, though the time was realtime) breaks out over rent - it's on their property after all
[*]They eventually join forces, skipping over the traditional battle
[*]Laozi has joined the party!
[*]They then set up a big stage performance with a lot of fire
[*]Groupies and fans just APPEAR.
[*]Laozi sneaks off with groupies for a lesbian orgy***
[*]The cat joins in after sniffing them out
[*]Eventually they all gather, meeting THE WIND RIDERS, a rival band.
[*]The angel starts chatting with the Angel Green Mage (Quantum Booster) of the Wind Riders, and they are very polite and friendly with each other.
[*]The Alraune Monk, Frank, is a total jerk, swearing, telling them they're doing it all wrong etc.
[*]They agree to the Battle of the Bands.
[*]The robot girl Maxima warns them to watch out for the other band, the DARKDARKDARKDARKDARKS. And then Laozi casts Light on Maxima, so they can just track them by sight.
[*]The stage is on the top of a tower, so with sword and hammer, the cat lowers it to ground level (ala that Japanese game where you knock blocks out from under a thing).
[*]Argument occurs, then a race.
[*]The fastest speed is 60', compared to the cat, who has 80' move speed.
[*]The Wind Riders change their name to the Stone Riders.
[*]They then run off as the DARKDARKDARKDARKDARKS appear.
[*]Nekomata Jester, Empusa Star Mage (with Voor cohort), Vampire White Mage and Human Soulborn.
[*]Laozi then casts Light, making them glow PINK. There is talk, and then the angel decides to hand the vampire a slip of paper: You are pink. PS: Explosive Runes.
[*]So combat starts with the Vampire and Empusa damaged.
[*]The nekomata jester puts some serious hurt on the ghost (flask, sneak attack, fire trap etc.) before getting tackled and bitch-slapped by the nekomata samurai.
[*]Empusa and Vampire never get a turn, so quick is their beatdown.
[*]The Voor also dies as a Free action.
[*]The Soulborn is actually a challenge for a bit, with some thumping on both sides, but eventually drops.
[*]They make the nekomata carry all their stuff as a roadie.
[*]The Stone Riders return, and agree to a Battle of the Bands (no violene)
[*]Team "Player Characters" win by a long margin. And this determines who the main characters are, so we now know: it's the PCs.
[*]Everyone gains a level as the session ends.

It was a lot funnier, with a variety of silly events and various people being Fascinated by boobs, but there you go.

*Tomatoes eat insects.
**It's not THAT weird. If you can get a Chiki Tiki pizza, what's so bad about spiders? If someone asked "Do you want spiders on your pizza?" I'd give it a try.
***A clean game right until this guest, who is the kind of girl who really likes m/m things. And she then ushers in a lesbian orgy. Wow.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Koumei wrote:[*]The angel starts chatting with the Angel Green Mage (Quantum Booster) of the Wind Riders, and they are very polite and friendly with each other.
Yay friendship!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Empusa and Vampire never get a turn, so quick is their beatdown.
That;s just smart tactics. For every round a white mage gets, their allies live two rounds longer.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Right. So this starts with a guest at the door: it's the Quantum Booster again!

Avariel goes to chat with him, because they're friends, and he explains that the Great Laugh-Off is approaching and she is the only surviving Alumni they can actually find. She agrees to drag her friends along to help out in beating "those scags at Arborea", so they all grab an item from the vending machine (it's about time they got new toys) and headed off via portal.

Arriving at the foot of Mount Celestia.

So they start their journey, finding the first hotel to be ablaze. The ghost pops in to check for survivors to rescue (activating Fire Resist), and finds a large iron spear with one end shaped like a pretty flower.

The next place is not on fire, but when they open the door a crossbow drops from the ceiling and fires at them. It misses. The manager is annoyed because "that's the third time someone set one of those up today!" They sit down for an enormous meal of meat. Also the place is called "The Awesome Cobalt Hat" - thank you, Soulmeld table.

They then sleep there, before being woken up by an explosion. The back wall is now missing. Using scent, the cat notices... the smell of burning gunpowder. Also, a fishy smell, like a dead thing crawled out of the ocean.

But they keep going - with the landlord's apologies, free of charge, please come back when we repair the place! They eventually reach the top, and head to the school of Divine Comedy.

The man greeting them is not made for comedy. Slicked back hair, a nice suit, no sense of humour... his one concession is to wear a fake nose. Tragic, really.

So they go to the props department, where a Ravid is making things fly about - and there are dead bodies here. Like other members of the school had been killed by it. Initiative...

The cat runs up and smacks it on the nose in a non-damaging way.
Then the angel full-attacks, dealing 92 damage and taking it from full to -7. Ow.

So they look around the place, and start working on a comic routine - a musical comedy, largely, to put their skills to the best use. And then they decide to go check up on their Arboreal rivals, in their caravan.

Except a Deadborn vulture approaches, with flowers and a letter.
Cat: LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE DRUMSTICKS! POUNCE!

They attack, they Stun and kill it, it instantly turns into a zombie and attacks the cat. I'm not one for superstition (making me the ONLY such roleplayer ever, it seems), but...

"The vulture attacks you. Don't worry, I've been rolling low all night" "Don't say that, you'll crit" *roll 20* "Motherfucker."

Yeah, it crits, dealing nearly half her HP, and she fails a Fort save and contracts the disease.

They then finish it off, eat the meat, look over the letter and Harry remembers good old Lucretia, who he first gave it to. "Oh her. That's not very nice, scrawling RTS on it in blood. I mean, I forgot all about her, the least she could do is forget all about me. Besides, I was mostly faithful to her when we were together.

Well mostly. I mean, for a few days at least.

Well I say days. They weren't consecutive days, and only the actual daylight hours.

Okay so when I was in bed with her, I was faithful to her. Except for that one time. Okay, maybe two or three."

They then had an idea! They stole the horses from the caravan. They then fetched the Ravid and attached it, before healing it awake.

The caravan then started getting shaken about. The inhabitants were most put out - and in the end, the Arboreans never showed up for the Laugh-Off so they were declared the winners.

And I called it there. With trouble looming ahead.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, everything started with them being asleep - it was still morning, after all. After a party even.

And then the Justice Archons kicked the door in, heading in with fiery swords and pistols. "Everybody get down on the ground! (way ahead of them there!) Hands behind your heads!"

They were then arrested on suspicion of Murder.

Flashback...

The caravan burned, smoke pouring out. A passerby stuck their head in to see what the problem was, saw the corpses, screamed, and called the police. The Archons looked over the three angel corpses, noticing the scorch marks.

"Well everything looks dented up, and they usually have pyros. Are we looking at a prop accident?"
"No, we're looking..." *sunglasses.gif* "...at murder."
YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Back to the present. They are cuffed and taken to the station, via a cafe for breakfast, and eventually uncuffed and questioned. Their weapons are examined, but only one has something that causes burns - the firetrapped flasks.

"Hmm, it could be the murder weapon... I'll get this to the lab."

He then hands it to a labrador Hound Archon (I SO FUNNY!), who tests it by hurling it against a wall. They decide it doesn't match, and they point out that "We can account for your location at all times other than the time the crime took place, but that doesn't automatically make you guilty."

They suggested the group should help out if they want to quickly clear their names. And so, seeing the crime scene, none of them thought "Oh, we can have them Reincarnated" or "Speak With Dead!", but instead they remembered the egg-man from before, and that there were FOUR members of the other team. So they decided they need to find Mister Dumpty.

There is also Scent of Demon. Sam and Kwess both actually have Scent, so they followed it out to an abandoned warehouse: recently abandoned, and burned out. With more corpses. Celestial rats go to nibble on the corpses, so Kwess "preserves the crime scene" by eating the rats.

They think about Demons, make a Know: Planes check and think "Demons like to kill powerful angels. So they'd be looking for them. Like, in the party. Or finding a fiery place to stay makes sense for fire demons."

And then they heard the explosion and raced to the precinct building.

Quess got there five rounds early, and one-shotted Humpty Dumpty. Seriously. The demon then managed to summon another of its kind. Quess activated her battlesong... and they both hurled maximised explosions of soulfire. She failed both saves and took "heaps" of damage (48), before Whirlwind-critting them (one got Dazed by Combat School as well) and running off. One chased her, and managed to blast her again, Staggering her (yes, 0 HP precisely) so she went off to hide. Her single move is still more than its double-move, so...

Eventually, she finds a cake shop, and goes in there to spend most of her money on cakes (thus healing to an extent), while the others eventually get to the station and find the summon. Bam bam bam and they kill it quickly, though Harry takes some injuries.

Quess then sees the original demon moving along, gets its attention, runs around the corner, then does a lap to catch up with it and iaijutsu it from behind. It bursts fire all over her and she kills it... then returns for more cake. Already, having spent so much money there, she has become a sponsor so they have plastered the walls with posters of her, along with "Book your tickets now for her next concert". She reads it to know their next concert is in a week.

So the group meet up, they are given some Hope as a reward for sorting out the murders and the demon problem, and then they go to the Prime to find Lucretia.

She no longer resides at her house. The owner's butler annoys them, so they set up across the road, set the speakers to 11 and knock the house down with Sonic damage. No really. Before heading to a post office for a forwarding address, where they discover she lives at a cemetary and funeral home.

They enter... and a zombie invites them to take a seat. Lucretia then enters.

"Hi, Lucky dear, you've lost weight!"
"Harold... is that you?"
"Yes! I see you remembered me. Are you well?"
"I have waited all these years to say this, my love... roll initiative."

She slamminates him, and the others manage to not drown. Flasking occurs, the Cat starts battlesong... and then Lucretia confuses Sam, who bites Harry. Quess and Avariel start to drown, so they leave the area on their next turn. More fighty-fighty with slams hitting, and Sam then gets "act normal" so he sneaks around behind and bites her. Double-teaming! Avariel steps into the aura to flask, Quess whirlwinds through, fighty fighty, Sam sits there babbling, Avariel glugs again so steps out to breathe again...

Harry then convinces her to talk, so she sits and wails about her woes. He dis-arms the zombie (sitting there drinking tea) and gives her the tea, patting her. "There there..."

And Sam rolls "Attack caster", and makes a full attack. She dies. So they return her remains to the lake, where it appears she can finally move on and possibly reincarnate...

And it ends there. And they hit level 10. And Sam evolves into a Bearhound.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Hokay...

They headed out to the Stage of Mages, for their next performance. They decided "Well it's in Baator, so... start in the middle."

So they ended up in Stygia, and just asked an Ice Devil where the Stage of Mages is. He directed them to Malodomoni, in the Carnival Eternal. So they went there, found the place disgusting, and splattered one of the little Nurglings trying to block the path. They went over to the Carnival Eternal, and started walking along the pathways...

The fight with the Legion Devils was one round long. The Devils rolled last on Initiative, they didn't stand a chance. After that there was a little trap thing that just proved to take some time, and they continued until they met the Steel Devils - Insecurity Guards. Who rushed up... and asked if they'd like cake.

So in the dressing room, there was the usual - trouser press, tea and coffee making facilities, bottle of shiraz, a cake, cigarettes, and BREAD. A basket of just bread. And a Carnival Eternal mirror. They polished it with Prestidig to wipe the grime off, and then Kwess failed her Will save so got the "Punch the next devil you see. In the face" Suggestion. This occurred once she went to ask the Insecurity Guards a question, but they were too insecure to fight back.

Then the big performance. They rocked the place, before getting trapped in the Forcecage, with Stone Spikes and an Adaru demon (MM4, a toxic millipede). And MC MC playing the pipe organ on top. So they continued playing (and out-did her) even while killing the millipede (though they took some damage, Avariel even getting quite low on HP). MC MC then decided to breath weapon them and do a runner, leaving them to celebrate their double-victory.

So next session is like a month and a half away due to Harry's player getting married. So that's ages to think of some idea for what to have them do next. I could do that "Fire princess, carnivorous peasants, naked giant wizard" thing except I'm not sure what would work well for that giant wizard (as a boss for a level 10 group). Giants tend to either be pretty small and completely crap, or CR 20+

Or I could leave that and do some other thing. I dunno.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Finally the game happened again.

So, they woke up at 3PM as usual, discovering that their castle had been moved elsewhere, dumped in The Skeletron (TM). Same plane, same layer, but somewhere in Lincolnshire*.

They decided to investigate, and first came across the zombieclock, then the Sorting Algorithm. Going through, they chopped the left door down of every room "to find our way back". Thus screwing up the sorting so it was just AAAAAAAA...

They then followed some returning undead, asking their captives about the abductions but not actually saving them, then seeing the convryor belt. From there they saw the Grafter, and questioned him for a bit, deciding it was completely wasteful that only one creature per 8 hours was taking grafts and being added to the army.

They broke a few more things, and took out the wyvern wights in one round (Avariel flasked one to death, Kwess boosted Harry+Sam, who shredded the other), before finding their way to the roof... where they had a sing-off against the harpies. They discussed things with the harpies, who explained "We can't swap them back, we're only allowed to move three things per day - Unions, you see."

So they "made do" with having their castle put on top of Vecnathrax' tower. He emerged, and when they mentioned "stress-testing" the hardware, he revealed his double-barrelled summoning circle. Which created a two-headed Vrock. He then took off to find out what they had done, and it took them... slightly more than one round - Kwess attacks, Sam and Harry attack, Avariel gives a sneak attack flask frenzy, it Stuns Kwess with a screech, then spores everyone adjacent. Then it gets finished off.

So they nom the giant bird corpse, cooking it up for dinner. Note it has Fire Resist 10, so it's actually quite hard. They then sleep, and the next day return to tell Vecnathrax how crap he is (and to properly loot the place).

They discover the 3/4-mile long/tall/wide golden device, with its billion levers, million buttons and thousand dials. And many undead working on it, while a Mohrg notes down the results (no effect) each time... until they mess with the settings, thus fucking everything up. He attacks, and Kwess is paralyzed, but it gets annihilated in one round.

They then chop chunks out of the device to see what's inside, and then chuck a flask in to see if the insides are flammable. When they then encounter Vecnathrax, he is livid that they mention fucking the device up, and has the army sent in after them - and walks off onto the roof.

They follow him, the undead army sort of gets clogged up trying to follow, and he scarpers before they can clobber him/before he gets the urge to cast an I WIN spell on them/before I have to stat him up.

So they then hire the harpies to carry the device to their base. And it ends there.
echoVanguard
Knight-Baron

Post by echoVanguard »

Koumei, I'm surprised you're not using a collaboration website like Obsidian Portal for your campaign. You could make good use of the art galleries and update local wikis to flesh out your characters.

echo
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually Obsidian Portal is a great site, I highly recommend it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, it can be a lot of work to get working, but it can be worth it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

While I still take my time updating the web 2.0 thing, last session:

It was actually short, and kind of a filler, more just a chance for everyone to rock up and chat. Basically, various forces tried to steal The Device from them: a shambling horde of greenery, and a prinny army.

They build a catapault in front of the device, with signs to form a queue for the "ride", and the prinnies, like suckers, went and used it... getting launched over the catapault and exploding.

They did have to deal with the slightly-smarter boss, Lord Dood, though, and though they one-shotted him, the explosion did sting a bit, doing inconsequential damage to Harry and a small amount to Sam.

For the plants, they looked through the Hell-ow Pages for Vegetarian Services, and hired Crazy Al - you have a plant problem, I'll fucking EAT it!

And he did just that.

Finally, a Retriever approached, with the instructions:
10 Go To Tower
20 Locate Device
30 While (Guards!=0)
40 Then (Kill==1)
50 Retrieve Device

They tried talking to it, before it replied with EXTERMINATE and a fight was on. It lost initiative, got severely harmed, then managed to hurt Sam but not Harry (DR 20, or 10 vs magic weapons). It eye beamed Avariel, who resisted petrification, and then it was iaijutsued in half. They looted it - USB speakers and USB twin-linked ass cannons.

They know it was sent by Lord Vecnathrax, so maybe they will pay him a visit next session...