New game, Newer DM

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Dominicius wrote:One other thing that would be added is some sort of magic field that prevent people from flying into space and mining the asteroids.
Why? Are you really concerned about some 12th level caster making a cannon that shoots him to an asteroid and mining it? Because that's basically what you'd have happen. Some high level caster would re-enact Voyage to the Moon, or whatever it was called.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Roy wrote:And... a +5 cha item gives it... wait for it... +3 to DCs!
Roy wrote:If it uses its Double Standard wealth on Cha boosters it gets... 1 more DC. It would probably get 2, or even 3, except those items cost over 15k, so it can't.
So just to be perfectly clear. You are admitting that you are completely wrong?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I don't know what the fuck Roy is talking about here. Every time I've either run a beholder as a DM or run into one as a PC, it's gone more or less like this:

Location: Beholder's underground labyrinth with narrow approaches (so he can antimagic us) that turn every 140 feet or so.

Party tries to sneak up on beholder. Someone failed their move silently check, so the asshole perks up.

Party does some minor stuff from the surprise round. If they're lucky, they kill it in the surprise round with something like flesh to stone. If not, continue.

Beholder turns around and declares "My antimagic cone is normally closed when I nap, so I won't open my big eye until I toss down my 8 SoDs at you guys as a free action"

1 or 2 PCs don't make the save and are dead or incapacitated.

Beholder declares that his antimagic cone opens at the end of his turn. Then he starts floating up.

PCs all wonder what the fuck they are going to do to hurt this guy since they are limited to just using bows at no magic bonuses to try and hurt him.

Beholder starts hunting the PCs through his grid (vertical and horizontal tunnels intersecting).

Yeah, that disintegrate at will combined with the antimagic cone is pretty fucking annoying.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Kaelik wrote:
Roy wrote:And... a +5 cha item gives it... wait for it... +3 to DCs!
Roy wrote:If it uses its Double Standard wealth on Cha boosters it gets... 1 more DC. It would probably get 2, or even 3, except those items cost over 15k, so it can't.
So just to be perfectly clear. You are admitting that you are completely wrong?
You conveniently forgot the part where the DC 20 also fizzles. Which means if you were quoting me correctly, instead of being Kaelik you'd realize what I actually said was 'even if you could, it doesn't matter'. So showing up with 'herp derp, you could' has been preemptively addressed.

Hi Welcome
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Roy wrote:You conveniently forgot the part where the DC 20 also fizzles. Which means if you were quoting me correctly, instead of being Kaelik you'd realize what I actually said was 'even if you could, it doesn't matter'. So showing up with 'herp derp, you could' has been preemptively addressed.
So to be clear, you are admitting that you were completely wrong about the only thing I said, and I was completely correct about the only thing I said, and since at no point did I address anything about the likelihood of people making saves, that has nothing to do with the fact that you are completely wrong about what you said that I corrected you on?

I mean seriously Roy, every conversation with you goes like this:

Roy: I hate Y, because X, Z, A, B.
Me: X is not true.
Roy: WARGARLB. Y is true, I am always right without fail, you are so dumb.
Me: X is not true.
Roy: Okay, X is not true, but I still hate Y! You are so dumb.
Me: Roy, stop being a tard.

This is the post were I tell you to stop being a tard. Please have this end with you pretending to be sane for just this one time.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Dominicius wrote:One other thing that would be added is some sort of magic field that prevent people from flying into space and mining the asteroids.
Why? Are you really concerned about some 12th level caster making a cannon that shoots him to an asteroid and mining it? Because that's basically what you'd have happen. Some high level caster would re-enact Voyage to the Moon, or whatever it was called.
It's not that I think that mining the asteroids for shards is not a valid or cool way for PCs to gain power as opposed to waiting for the showers to happen. I just don't want to modify the setting to make it common practice as it is extra work I'd rather not do.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Kaelik wrote:Herp derp.
Hi Welcome
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Roy wrote:
Hi Welcome
My favorite part is where you get so cowardly you avoid quoting what people say, because you know that anyone who actually reads it is going to know you are full of shit, even if you do get the last word, because you are so thoroughly wrong and stupid.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So anyway Dom, how about magic items, how many to start? I assume for this they will all be minor, if not, let me know about any mediums.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Dominicius wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:You could rule that khyber dragonshards are used for one thing (say, large-scale wards), eberron dragonshards are used for another (elemental binding?) and sybaris shards alone are used in making personal magic items.
I think this could be done, Khyber would be used for elemetal binding, Eberron would be used for dragonmarks in some way. And Syberis are use magic items like you say.

The only thing that would need to be adjusted is that Syberis shards would have equal chance to rain down over all of Eberron.

One other thing that would be added is some sort of magic field that prevent people from flying into space and mining the asteroids.
Or you could shift the use of shards, having eberron shards used for magic item construction. Satellite mining would then be the dominion of dragonmark houses.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That could actually be rather interesting, as it would mean any individual who wanted to mine asteroids would need to contend with guild kneebreakers.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You could also have the asteroids themselves be covered in destructive magical radiation somehow so that people "don't know" how to safely mine the asteroids directly. That way you leave open the possibility of someone somewhere having a whole fuck tonne of shards from having found a partial answer to the problem, but you don't have to worry about the players demanding to get unlimited shards as soon as a Cleric hits level 9.

-Username17
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Or you could shift the use of shards, having eberron shards used for magic item construction. Satellite mining would then be the dominion of dragonmark houses.
The problem with making Eberron shards responsible for magic item creation is that it screws over Sarlona. Eberron shards don't appear on Sarlona and I want Riedra to be scary force that players would reckon with.

The writers have also specifically stated that dragonmarks only appear on people that live in places where Eberron shards are present. So tying Eberron shards to dragonmarks seems like a logical choice.
FrankTrollman wrote:You could also have the asteroids themselves be covered in destructive magical radiation somehow so that people "don't know" how to safely mine the asteroids directly. That way you leave open the possibility of someone somewhere having a whole fuck tonne of shards from having found a partial answer to the problem, but you don't have to worry about the players demanding to get unlimited shards as soon as a Cleric hits level 9.
I like this, it's a pretty elegant solution.
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Kaelik wrote:
Roy wrote:
Hi Welcome
My favorite part is where you get so cowardly you avoid quoting what people say, because you know that anyone who actually reads it is going to know you are full of shit, even if you do get the last word, because you are so thoroughly wrong and stupid.
Or... I didn't want to quote some long ass post just to give a two word reply? Ever think of that? No, of course you didn't.

That's why you deserve this.

Hi Welcome
Internet meme started in the Dungeons & Dragons Online MMORPG first and then refined (mostly in form) in the DDO Forums. The definition is hard to quantify. Some would call it a "slam" or some sort of "snarky" reply. While that can be true it is much more subtle than that. It's meaning is more of a feeling than anything else. How can one possibly define Love adequately? They can't, of course, and likewise, no one can adequately define Hi Welcome Form: Just to review the form quickly, it should always be written with a capital H and a capital W. No punctuation is permissable either. It should always be written - Hi Welcome and no other way. If you're writing it in another language (and assuming the language has capital letters), only the first letter of each word should be capitalized and again no punctuation is used. The lone exception to the "only the first latter in each word is capitalized" rule is for the Chinese form not written in characters. In this case Ni Hao HuanYing is correct. This is due to a peculiarity of the Chinese language.
Here is one example:

Someone (most likely a n00b or a known forum jackass) has just given a long forum rant displaying a lack of experience, social adeptness, and most of all...intelligence.

You reply with: Hi Welcome

In this particular case it may mean, "Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself. Because anyone able to engage your arguments would rip them to shreds, the most sincere welcome you can get is from someone unwilling to do so as demonstrated by their simple vocabulary and punctuation and seeming lack of thought put into the response."
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Back on ignore we go.

Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

Kaelik wrote:Back on ignore we go.
Just out of curiousity, why did you ever take him off of ignore?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Datawolf wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Back on ignore we go.
Just out of curiousity, why did you ever take him off of ignore?
I went through and cleaned house, removing a bunch of ignores to represent those people being not as fucking stupid as PL. Roy has convinced me that he is as stupid as PL.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Cue Roy posting an Exactly as Planned picture and saying he didn't like talking to Kaelik, anyway.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

RobbyPants wrote:Cue Roy posting an Exactly as Planned picture and saying he didn't like talking to Kaelik, anyway.
Nah, I just wanted him to shut the fuck up and stop being stupid. Nothing elaborate about that.

He doesn't bother me when he isn't being stupid though.

Cute that you're hopping on the fail bandwagon though. I had given you more credit than that until now.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Roy wrote:Nah, I just wanted him to shut the fuck up and stop being stupid. Nothing elaborate about that.
Indeed, how dare I stupidly correct you when you are wrong, and be 100% correct when you were incorrect.

How incredibly stupid of me, I forgot this was Royland, where being correct is a vice.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Roy wrote:Cute that you're hopping on the fail bandwagon though. I had given you more credit than that until now.
I might agree with you if you were making more sense in the posts last page where you stopped making sense.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Kaelik, just keep Roy on ignore. I liked this Dragonshards topic...
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

So, about them Dragonshards. I also like Frank's idea of asteroids with harmful radiation, if only for the opportunity to go A Trip To The Moon in Eberron.

EDIT: Your races are nowhere near balanced. There's no contest between Tome races and those sad excuses for psionic races, for example. You might want to fix that.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Mask_De_H wrote:So, about them Dragonshards. I also like Frank's idea of asteroids with harmful radiation, if only for the opportunity to go A Trip To The Moon in Eberron.

EDIT: Your races are nowhere near balanced. There's no contest between Tome races and those sad excuses for psionic races, for example. You might want to fix that.
Thanks for the tip, though you should probably tell me what I did wrong, as I'm having trouble seeing the imbalance in this case (with the exception of the maenad, which was pretty underpowered).

Quick note - if everything goes well, I should have an add up by the end of this week.

Edit: Speaking of races, does anybody know of a playable write up for genasi and half-dragons?
Last edited by Dominicius on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Elans are just really, really terrible. And giving them access to a feat that they can buy for normal price is just not going to make up for that. They get -2 to a dump stat, which is a lot like getting no stat mods. And they get 2 extra psionic power points - which is a lot worse than getting a bonus to a relevant casting stat. And then they get the special ability to spend an Immediate Action and power points to get various defensive bonuses. Which are basically collectively inferior to what Halflings or Dwarves get just for waking up in the morning.

Elan suffer from the fact that they are stupid and ugly and no one likes them. hey don't bring anything interesting to the table and are an effective race to use for zero builds.

-Username17