The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 515, 516, 517, 518  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shatner
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Well, they did it. I assume the lawsuits to stop it are ready to go, but still, feels bad.

Does this constitute regulatory capture or am I misunderstanding the intended relationship between the FCC and the broadcast industry?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I mean yes, this is pretty textbook, I'm not sure how to address the problem that they could have literally sat in the corner and watched this happen without even paying for it, but they sure managed to blitz every available media with dumbass fucking adds about how they totally aren't going to make any more money off this.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Regarding the tax bill - Jones won't be seated until the Senate reconvenes in January. Consequently, the math doesn't get as hard for the Republicans as it will, but there are a lot of good reasons that Republicans could oppose the tax bill. It's bad for everybody but corporations and the mega-rich (donor class).
Pixels
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
Rubio has switched to not supporting the current tax bill, unless the child tax credit becomes more generous. Is this Rubio trying to leverage a must-win situation for the GOP, or is this the beginning of individual Republican senators looking more closely at their future and support of an unpopular bill, after Moore's defeat?
Looks like Rubio's brinkmanship is paying off.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ann Coulter apparently made a crazy rant about it on Twitter about how she's going to die cold and alone in a rat-infested hotel in Ipswitch and yet Rubio expects her to spend money on all those happy families with children out there. I never thought I'd find myself liking something Rubio did, but here we are, where the Republicans are all scrambling to knife each other and vaguely come out on top and it's all a bit confusing.

The bit where she doesn't understand how society is an all-in thing and you don't get to choose which public things you do and don't fund is situation normal of course - that's standard for the Fox crowd. But at least she had the good taste to be self-deprecating about it and to come across as a crazy drunk.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Four senators are asking Franken to reconsider resigning. This includes two who previously called for his resignation. Currently, Franken has not changed his mind.
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Remember when they killed Net NEutrality?
Comcast is for Netneutrality.
http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/its-time-for-congress-to-act-and-permanently-preserve-the-open-internet
Charter/Spectrum is for Netneutrality.
http://policy.charter.com/blog/will-continue-support-open-internet/
AT&T is for Netneutrality.
https://www.attpublicpolicy.com/consumer-broadband/reports-of-the-internets-impending-death-are-grossly-exaggerated/
Verizon is for Netneutrality.
https://www.inverse.com/article/39445-verizon-att-comcast-fcc-net-neutrality

Only Sprint wants it gone it seems . .
http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-statement-on-fccs-repeal-net-neutrality-regulations.htm
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have personally read advertisements paid for by comcast and verizon saying fuck Net Neutrality, maybe they just are experiencing pushback, so they are lying and pretending to be for it, knowing that it won't change the result.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik wrote:
maybe they just are experiencing pushback, so they are lying and pretending to be for it, knowing that it won't change the result.

If I had to bet money, this is what I would bet on.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They can try to claim that they were strongly against the repeal, but *sigh* the government did it anyway, so they have no choice but to restrict content and charge those producers to be able to get it to consumers. When your Netflix subscription is $50/month and $40 of that is going to the internet provider they'll say 'I can't help it - that's what everyone else is doing. With all the increased cost of content how else can we keep consumer prices low* without it'. And of course, consumer prices won't actually be low because there isn't meaningful competition anyways.
DSMatticus
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you read them, they're just doublethink. "We support net neutrality, and that's why we support Ajit Pai killing net neutrality." It's not even a lie, it's just words. The devout tribalists will contort it into what they want to hear and everyone else will call bullshit and in the end it doesn't really matter. Which they know.
virgil
King

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, they succeeded at their bill of looting.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And repealing the individual mandate of the ACA.
nockermensch
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
And repealing the individual mandate of the ACA.

This kills the Obamacare.

Koumei wrote:
After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, all this talk about State's Rights that conservatives have used to try to exempt red states from national laws provides a lot of basis for blue states to preserve the ACA and Net Neutrality and implement policies to reduce Climate Change.

So if you live in a red state, you're probably gonna get it in the ear in the near term. But maybe not if you live in a blue state.
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Millions dead. Just wait for flu season.
Swine Flu. Bird Flu. Normal human killing Flu.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

deaddmwalking wrote:
Actually, all this talk about State's Rights that conservatives have used to try to exempt red states from national laws provides a lot of basis for blue states to preserve the ACA and Net Neutrality and implement policies to reduce Climate Change.

So if you live in a red state, you're probably gonna get it in the ear in the near term. But maybe not if you live in a blue state.

In theory, the blue states could use this as a chance to show Americans how they can succeed. In practice, I think the conservative rhetoric will change on this, and take on the tone used with "sanctuary cities": liberal governments refusing to listen to the rule of law.

Sure, it'd be hypocritical of them, but that's pretty much all they've ever done. They're deficit hawks right up until they're in charge. They put all that aside for their "once in a generation" tax bill. They want special exemptions made for religion for various laws right up until the courts say that applies to all religions.

The rhetoric they'll use on this won't be about states rights; it will be about the failing Democrats refusing to accept their loss and trying dirty tricks to subvert the will of the voters (even thought their state legislatures and governors were all voted in).
Shatner
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haven't we kinda reached the point where Republican rhetoric stops being a concern? Not because it doesn't matter, because it does have an impact, but because things have become so polarized, so tribalistic, so divorced from fact-based dialogue, and so steeped in unflinching hypocrisy without consequence that it can be taken as a given that anything a Dem does can and will be subject to negative Republican rhetoric as a matter of course?

It's like concerns about the physical force of friction. It's going to oppose anything you try to do and you sure as heck can't reason with it, so you just bake it into your equations as a cost and move on.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
They put all that aside for their "once in a generation" tax bill.

How come none of my siblings have any kids and nor do I, but I've somehow lived through 3 different once in a generation tax cuts for the rich?
Hicks
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there has been 3~4ish million births in the United States every year for the past 55 years, CDC pdf source, so it's always someone's generation literally every year.

shadzar wrote:
those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.

Lokathor wrote:
Commander: Ah! Adventurers! Perfect.
Tibellus: You can tell by the lobster on my head.

Stuff I've Made

Last edited by Hicks on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hicks wrote:
Well, there has been 3~4ish million births in the United States every year for the past 55 years, CDC pdf source, so it's always someone's generation literally every year.

That's not how generations work.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Roy Moore refused to concede the election and filed a complain to block the result. Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill says Doug Jones will be certified the winner.

This trend of Trumples questioning the validity of elections is disturbing.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And the case was dismissed...

If it was not, I think I would have sued for a new presidential election. Trump himself has claimed that 3 million illegal votes were cast. How does he know that they were for Clinton? Maybe they were all for him?

If the certified president is claiming widespread fraud, I think I have a better case than Moore.
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it finally happened:
Innocent man killed in Swatting incident instigated by Call of Duty argument over $1.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n3enM3jjbU
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally made the headlines, that is, I'd not be surprised if there have been other police shootings due to swatting, but they've been lost amongst the normal killings that aren't worth reporting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 515, 516, 517, 518  Next
Page 516 of 518

Jump to: