The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 511, 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

and now we wait untill Trump complains about his internet presence being slow as fuck because he does not want to pay more . .
virgil
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, since net neutrality is dead, I wonder what exact form the consequences will take in my life, and when they will start happening. Nothing good, and probably soon enough for me to be surprised.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by virgil on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stahlseele wrote:
and now we wait untill Trump complains about his internet presence being slow as fuck because he does not want to pay more . .

Not going to happen. One of Trump's defining character traits is paying more for 'premium' services that 'prove' he is better than everyone else. He's firmly in the camp of poor/average people don't deserve nice things.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but he also doesn't like intermediaries blocking his message. If people can't access his rants without paying extra, he might have a problem with that.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

deaddmwalking wrote:
Yes, but he also doesn't like intermediaries blocking his message. If people can't access his rants without paying extra, he might have a problem with that.

Bah. His free advertising firms (the news organizations he pretends to hate so much) recite his rants every damn day.
Dimmy
1st Level

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
Well, since net neutrality is dead, I wonder what exact form the consequences will take in my life, and when they will start happening. Nothing good, and probably soon enough for me to be surprised.

Do you remember 2015? We'll be going back to that. Remember, the FCC didn't bother to rule on net neutrality until early that year, when (at Obama's insistence) it ruled in favor. And their ruling didn't even go into effect until...I think some point that summer? The upshot is that the U.S. didn't have net neutrality for the first 24 years of the World Wide Web...and by-and-large, we seem to have gotten by just fine without it.

I'm sorry, but with everything actually important that's happening -- you know, all these child-molesters and neo-Nazis and nuclear threats and so on? -- I just can't get worked up that the quality of your preferred bread-and-circuses might regress by two or three whole years. My God, however will you cope? My heart weeps for you.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saw this on Facebook; haven't verified all of it. It doesn't include the "access fee" that Comcast charge Netflix in 2014.

As far as I am aware, the policy has always been net neutrality; but we made the internet count as a utility to give the FCC some teeth in order to maintain that ideal. My husband and I make our livings online. We've been touched by this issue more than once in the last decade. Just because you were blissfully unaware of anything going on, doesn't mean nothing did.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dimmy wrote:
I'm sorry, but with everything actually important that's happening -- you know, all these child-molesters and neo-Nazis and nuclear threats and so on?

I'm sorry that you can only focus on one crisis at a time. Just because our president has made worse each of your cited main concerns, doesn't mean he gets a pass on everything else he's screwing up.
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The 2015 decision gave the internet universal protection so that the FCC would stop having to play whac-a-mole with all the new and exciting means of screwing over consumers and small businesses that ISPs were constantly cooking up. An FCC willing to repeal those protections is an FCC willing to sit and watch while the ISPs do whatever they want.
DSMatticus
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:

The two obvious consequences you will notice:

1) ISP's will begin squeezing profitable content services. They will demand massive and rapidly increasing fees from Netflix, YouTube, etcetera in an attempt to either starve them out of existence or eat all of their profits as their own. This may happen alongside a rapid development of their own digital platforms, but probably not - there is no reason to innovate yourself when you can simply erase any competition that threatens you by their innovation. We know this is what they'll do, because this is what they were doing before we stopped them. In the short-term, Netflix may raise prices and/or just cut back investment in production deals. In the very long-term, you can expect someone is looking to break companies like Netflix so they can just buy them.

2) ISP's will start blocking services on your phone that compete with their own equivalent services. This is incredibly unpredictable - different ISP's offer different home-grown services (and have stakes in different third-party services and so on) and they'll block different competitors arbitrarily. We know this is what they'll do, because this is what they were doing before we stopped them. In the short-term, the mobile internet will become a fragmented service that doesn't really work the way we think the internet should. In the long-term, you can expect this practice to extend to landlines/home internet and the internet to stop being something you could call a "worldwide web" and for various ISP's to each implement their own Great Firewalls of China intended to direct you to parts of the web which maximize their profit.

Short-term, in this case, means "you will notice this starting before the Trump administration ends, even if he's a one-term president." The long-term could be a decade or more.
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Basically:
They have allowed DLC/Lootboxes for ISPs . .
MGuy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Surprisingly I haven't seen the usual web based talking heads attempting to defend this product of the Trump administration. Usually the 'I don't like Trump but I have to defend him because reasons' crowd seems to be silent on this one.
Finally a thread about fighters!
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suspect it's for the same reason why I suspect this will ultimately hurt Republicans perhaps more than anything else they've done: This decision is going to hurt and it's going to hurt everyone, most especially those who have a significant online presence.

Breitbart might have a chance of getting included in basic tier service packages by virtue of now being a part of the Republican propaganda machine (assuming the corporations don't try to cut potential populist outlets out, which would probably be smart), but they never would've had the chance if the ISPs started chopping things up into package deals back in 2014. Milo Yiannopoulos would never have gone anywhere if impoverished rednecks from Alabama couldn't read his articles, and anyone hoping the next Milo (preferably sans pedophilia scandal that brings it all crashing down only a year or two after it started) will come from their rag knows it. Without net neutrality, the current players in the Republican propaganda machine are entrenched, and nobody but Fox News can say for sure that they'll be part of that establishment - many of the people following in the shadow of Breitbart can be pretty certain they won't be.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A woman approached the Washington Post with a false story about being impregnated by Roy Moore as a teen. She was questioned about inconsistencies in her story, she insisted she wasn't there working for some other organization. She was later seen entering the New York offices of Project Veratis, the group founded by James O’Keef that runs sting operations and publishes highly edited footage.

Not only are these fuckers using deceptive tactics to try and find bias, they are undermining legitimate accusations of abuse.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read about that. What astounded me was the level of wheee PV thinks happens in the media. Yes, the media makes mistakes, but that doesn't mean they're a tabloid.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
A woman approached the Washington Post with a false story about being impregnated by Roy Moore as a teen. She was questioned about inconsistencies in her story, she insisted she wasn't there working for some other organization. She was later seen entering the New York offices of Project Veratis, the group founded by James O’Keef that runs sting operations and publishes highly edited footage.

Not only are these fuckers using deceptive tactics to try and find bias, they are undermining legitimate accusations of abuse.

Someone showed a great timeline:

Nov 9: Roy Moore story breaks.
Nov 10: Lady working for Veritas contacts Washington Post to do her little fake lie thing.
Nov 11: Roy Moore himself says "there is an investigation into the motives and goals of these stories and we will see what they find" or some shit like that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump is taking advantage of the fake Veritas accusation and is questioning the authenticity of the Access Hollywood tape... that he already admitted to and apologized for.

Does he forget that the things he says in the past are on record? I know I already asked that before, and the answer was something to the effect of "Always keep on lying!".
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump supporters live largely in echo chambers, and the ones who do speak to people who will bring up facts on record that contradict the latest lie will ignore them for as long as their stamina holds out, and if that fails they will retreat into the echo chamber where they can hold comforting views unchallenged rather than actually shutting up.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So Tillerson (Secretary of State) may be out by the end of the year, for, obviously, the crime of disagreeing with Trump.

Given all the dismissals and lack of appointments internally, there may not even be a State Department by the anniversary of Trump's inauguration. The only interaction between the US and other countries will be Trump's crazy drunk tweets.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate authoritarians. They confuse disagreement with disloyalty. Screams
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm more concerned that the looming tax debacle bill will help lead to a government shutdown, which Trump appears to be oddly positive about.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They... they do realize they control both Houses, right? If the government shuts down, it is entirely their fault, because it means they can't agree with themselves to pass their own bills.
MGuy
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Republicans blamed Obama for letting them pass an idiotic bill centered around suing foreign countries for percieved damages. This is after he vetoed it. Republicans do not v hesitate to stick the blame on others. Also I don't find it odd that Trump is positive about what could be literally his only real win all year. What I find odd is the disjointed rambling. It's like he gets less coherent when he's in a particularly good mood.
Finally a thread about fighters!
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He probably thinks that if the government shuts down, the Russian Inquiries will stop. Since he hasn't been able to make them go away any other way...
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New Inquiry:
DID THE RUSSIANS SHUT DOWN THE MURICAN GOVERNMENT WE DO NOT WANT TO GOVERN US?

and are we mad about this or not? i am not sure. we are all against big gov, but we also do not want the russki to fuck with ours . .

Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 511, 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 512 of 514

Jump to: