The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 508, 509, 510, 511  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starmaker
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nockermensch wrote:
Out of touch person, from the Left: "You should try homeopathy for the cancer!"

Out of touch person, from the Right: "Terrorists are being shipped to this country by the thousands! We need to close our borders, now!

1. Batshit beliefs are comorbid.

2. While wingnut scaremongering sounds more evil, there's no saying which specific belief is deadlier when its host, all other things being equal, is given significant political power. It's very likely that more people would die to entirely preventable illnesses than get murdered after being denied asylum.

3. Dems are the party of "less murder", but this is not election season and Donna Brazile is not "the Dems", she's a liar holding at least one completely batshit belief who's arguably hurting the cause of "less murder" for personal profit. Critics should go after less important targets when it's convenient so the people who matter learn to keep their batshittery under wraps (warning: The Sun link, ask your doctor if Adblock is right for you).

Last edited by Starmaker on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
MGuy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
What is she trying to accomplish? If she's trying to save herself, she's failing miserably.
I have no idea what she's after. I thought she was a Hillary supporter considering that the big nothing burger people were parading around last year was that her actions in trying to help Hillary involved her giving her questions. I don't know what she's after but I wish someone along the line had stopped her from writing or coming out publicly with a bunch of allegations she couldn't prove. There's no walking back any of this shit and with the already bad looking shuffling of Bernie supporters out of the top spot and the inability for anyone not in those top spots to get a look at the books (or so I've heard) this has cemented for far too many people all the worst rumors about Clinton and the DNC.
Finally a thread about fighters!
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
"Mass shootings are a mental health issue," says man who expanded access to guns for the mentally ill and is seeking cuts to funding for mental health.

How close do the shootings have to be before we just label America as one long-running mass shooting?
phlapjackage
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
How close do the shootings have to be before we just label America as one long-running mass shooting?

I mean, I think you're kinda joking, but the reality is even worse. The US already is one-long-running mass shooting. 2016 had 483 mass shootings, and 2017 has 307 so far.
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting
Chamomile: Deaddmwalking... was a holy warrior dedicated not to a specific cause, but to doing battle with a single foe. With his nemesis forever banished from our shores, he goes off to become a normal denner who puts irritating people on ignore rather than endlessly engage them.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Someone went through a calendar and said "let's say we can't talk about a preventing shootings until 3 days after the last one, when can we talk about it?"

And the answer was that there were 8 days in the entirety of 2016 that came more than 3 days after the last shooting.

I think the official point at which we all agree it's one long running shooting is when that number reaches 0.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goddamn it, I go for a nice easy poor-taste joke and then reality is basically a step ahead of me there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

phlapjackage wrote:
Koumei wrote:

I mean, I think you're kinda joking, but the reality is even worse. The US already is one-long-running mass shooting. 2016 had 483 mass shootings, and 2017 has 307 so far.
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

Whats the definition of mass shooting? I thought at least 5 people had to be injured/killed?

Game On,
fbmf
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So . . it is not a mass shooting if a bad shooter shoots at 10 people but only hits 3 of them? O.o
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't say it was a good thing or that I'm okay with it. I said "I thought at least 5 people had to be injured/killed" for it to be considered a mass shooting.

If I'm wrong (I obviously am), then what makes a mass shooting "mass"?

Game On,
fbmf

Last edited by fbmf on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
virgil
King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shooting#Definition

TL;DR version - there's no consistent definition. Federal law defines a mass killing as something that involves 3+ people killed, regardless of weapons. A major tracker defines it as an incident where four+ people are shot, regardless of whether it's to injury or death.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With Nicaragua, and now Syria signing the Paris Climate Accord, the US is the only country to reject the deal.

Last edited by RobbyPants on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump wants out of the climate stuff completely.
But the US of A can't leave untill 2020 or so anyway.
And by then, he has had his first 4 years and hopefully does not get a second go.
If he does not manage to get a war going with North Korea he probably won't.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stahlseele wrote:

If he does not manage to get a war going with North Korea he probably won't.

Whether it would work, or not, here's hoping that thought doesn't occur to him.
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At least half serious - would nuclear war raise or lower global temperatures? I've heard the term 'nuclear winter', but if a nuclear war was significant but not 'all life on earth ending' - say South Korea was nuked by North Korea and the US responded with nuclear weapons on Pyongyang and nobody else got involved - what would that do over the next 10-20 years on climate change?
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

deaddmwalking wrote:
At least half serious - would nuclear war raise or lower global temperatures? I've heard the term 'nuclear winter', but if a nuclear war was significant but not 'all life on earth ending' - say South Korea was nuked by North Korea and the US responded with nuclear weapons on Pyongyang and nobody else got involved - what would that do over the next 10-20 years on climate change?

Remember that there were dozends, if not hundreds, of surface nuclear explosion bomb tests? Including the tsar bomb, the biggest bomb erver made?
And 2 actual used nukes on japan?
That shit does not suffice. Nuclear Winter is a result of all out nuclear war.
You need to kick up billions of tons of dust and debris into the sky to make a nuclear winter. A big volcano exploding is WAY more capable of doing that.
At least locally.
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So maybe if Yellowstone national park got nuked a few times.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't need nukes for that.
That is set to blow sometime soon. (read, a few decades or centuries)
Technically, it is already long overdue.
And that would certainly do the nuclear winter.
And blow up half of north america as well.
So it's a win for the rest of the world anyway.
Stops global warming. Takes care of overpopulation.
Destroys one of, if not the, biggest contributor to global warming.
Also takes out the only big player against russia/chinese/communism.
But on the other hand, nuclear winter means you want to have some russian blood in your line to survive anyway.

Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did a little reading up on it, and it sounds like it might not be as much of a thing as was expected. Apparently nuclear weapons might kick up a lot of dust, but the theory is based on fires - thus the firebombing of Dresden was equal in impact to Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki.

100 large wildfires is supposed to produce enough ash in the upper atmosphere to cool temperatures by 1-2 degrees Celsius for up to 3 years, but the major oil fires in Kuwait didn't appear to do that.

It sounds like we can't rely on nuclear war to offset warming (unless it kills everyone in which case human caused emissions will be a thing of the past).
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the last big positive . . err negative . . influence on Global Warming made by man was when Genghis Khan murderaped his way through asia and into europe and killed more than 40 million people to actually cause a drop in overall temperature . . because less logging, more tree growth, less carbon levels in the air. Scientist figures claim somewhere along the lines of 700 million tons of carbon . .

And of course the oil fires did not help. Burning oil creates smoke. Not Ash.
And it is the floating ash particles in the upper layers of the atmosphere what is actually responsible for the nuclear winter / global cooling phenomenon.
phlapjackage
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

fbmf wrote:
Whats the definition of mass shooting? I thought at least 5 people had to be injured/killed?

Game On,
fbmf

I think for the statistics/link I quoted, they used 4 or more people killed.
Chamomile: Deaddmwalking... was a holy warrior dedicated not to a specific cause, but to doing battle with a single foe. With his nemesis forever banished from our shores, he goes off to become a normal denner who puts irritating people on ignore rather than endlessly engage them.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definitions of Mass Shootings vary all over the place. For example, CNN has a category of "deadliest mass shootings" that include only single day gun rampages that kill at least 8 people other than the shooter.

Regardless of what definition you use, mass shootings are becoming more common and the death toll per mass shooting is rising.

Quote:
Four of the five deadliest shootings have occurred in the last five years. Three of the five deadliest have occurred in the last 17 months. Two of the five deadliest have occurred in the last 32 days.

-Frank
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stahlseele wrote:
Don't need nukes for that.
That is set to blow sometime soon. (read, a few decades or centuries)
Technically, it is already long overdue.
And that would certainly do the nuclear winter.
And blow up half of north america as well.

What would actually be the consequences for the US (or the world, if applicable) if that happened?

I've seen all kinds of articles and prognoses, but they're all over the place - everything from 'IT's THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!" to 'eh, it's all flyover country - a few years down the line you wouldn't even notice.'
angelfromanotherpin
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It depends on the eruption. Just as non-super volcanoes can just sort of gently overflow for a while, or can go full-on Krakatoa 1883, a supervolcano could erupt with less or more force. Alarmists tend to measure the results as if it were expected to be a huge eruption, which probably could seriously threaten global human civilization. A more moderate eruption, one that's closer to our estimates of the supervolcano's output in the past, would still be very bad, but would probably only seriously threaten the USA.
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Particularly vexing is that "zOMG end of world" sensationalism is commonly used to get clicks even when there's no threat at all and "EVERYTHING IS FINE NOTHING IS WRONG" is a common response by those in denial of something terrible that really is/will be happening, so either of those extremes could be exactly correct and I would expect the exact same spread of articles covering it.
Stahlseele
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the lavabucket is swelling.
And i mean swelling. The ground in Yellowstone National Park has shifted and lifted quite considerably over the last few years. MORE than it should do even in several decades if i understood that correctly.
So the pressure and thus potential energy that could be released quite spectacularly in the case of explosive rupture seems quite impressive.
So, you could be looking at something krakatoa like there. Just . . you know . . Not a big mountain that loses its top. But a big old crater in the ground appearing instead. Probably several hundred meters to maybe a few miles in diameter when all is said and done.
But that is only the localized desaster in the US of A and thus not so important really. That region is, technically, speaking, only sparsely settled right?
But then we get to the more interesting parts:
Namely: gigatons of ashes blown into the air that will encircle the whole world. And that is before you get to the burning of the surrounding woods and other things in that area which would be responsible for even more ashens in the airs.
If that happens, we could be looking at something like a worldwide drop in temperature of 5 to 10 degrees celsius i guess.
Now to put that into perspective:
Global warming, as far as i understand the numbers, has lifted the global temperature about 2-4 degrees celsius above what it should be right now.

Furthermore, there is the fact that some people claim we should be having an iceage by now. Either we are really fucked because this 2-4C plus is depsite us being in an iceage or we could be really fucked because the whole world being cooled down by up to 10 celsius could very well be what is needed to actually usher in a new ice age. And depending on how that goes, especially in terms of speed, would mean mass famine, which would lead to mass starvation. Outbreak of more sicknesses due to weakened immune systems and people huddling closer together for warmth. And then even more people could die. And that could actually lead to a snowball earth scenario.

And now the relativating part:
NOBODY KNOWS!
NONE OF THIS IS CERTAIN!

It could be that yellowstone gets a rupture and just over weeks and months spews out lava and builds itself a nice and big cone.
Still would means tons of ashes in the air from the volcanoe and burning stuff. But not a big hole in the crust. So there is that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 508, 509, 510, 511  Next
Page 509 of 511

Jump to: