The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Maj
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4201
Location: Shelton, Washington, USA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: U.S. News That Makes You Laugh/Cry/Both/Neither... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've posted a few political things lately and figured that rather than populated this forum with a bunch of tiny political threads, what I really should do is just restart this topic since politics are back in.

And to kick it off, I'd start with Jon Stewart's rally.

Time {OK, Rally, DC, Internet Campaign} wrote:
The Internet Wins: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert Announce D.C. Rallies

When the web calls, Stewart and Colbert answer.

After a lengthy, persistent Internet campaign started by users of the site Reddit that raised over $200,000 for charity, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have relented. They will host opposing rallies on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. on October 30.

The announcement started last night on The Daily Show, when Stewart announced his Rally to Restore Sanity, a call to the nation to "take it down a notch for America." The name, of course, mocks Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor rally so naturally, Stewart compared his choice of date to Beck's choice of the anniversary of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

Jon Stewart wrote:
Now you're probably saying to yourself, October 30, 2010, that rings a bell ... the 36th anniversary of George Forman and Muhammad Ali's Rumble in the Jungle in Zaire! Yes! But that's not why the date is significant. I'll tell you the significance of October 30th. You see, The Daily Show's actually already going to be in Washington doing shows.


As his segment drew to a close, Stewart provided some sample protest signs for the realistic, sane ralliers to carry. They included, "I disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler."

But naturally, Stephen Colbert wasn't going to take that lying down. On The Colbert Report, he lashed out against Stewart's call for reason, noting that "reason is just one letter away from treason." So to counteract Stewart, he announced his own rally, "to fight Jon Stewart's creeping reasonableness, [and] to restore truthiness."

Colbert's rally, The March to Keep Fear Alive, will also occur on October 30 in Washington. Colbert, naturally, used fearmongering to get people to attend. "People should definitely book their hotel rooms now," he said, "or their children might turn gay."


From the website of the rally...

Rally to Restore Sanity {OK, Stew Beef, Red, White, Blue} wrote:
"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Who among us has not wanted to open their window and shout that at the top of their lungs?

Seriously, who?

Because we're looking for those people. We're looking for the people who think shouting is annoying, counterproductive, and terrible for your throat; who feel that the loudest voices shouldn't be the only ones that get heard; and who believe that the only time it's appropriate to draw a Hitler mustache on someone is when that person is actually Hitler. Or Charlie Chaplin in certain roles.

Are you one of those people? Excellent. Then we'd like you to join us in Washington, DC on October 30 -- a date of no significance whatsoever -- at the Daily Show's "Rally to Restore Sanity." Ours is a rally for the people who've been too busy to go to rallies, who actually have lives and families and jobs (or are looking for jobs) -- not so much the Silent Majority as the Busy Majority. If we had to sum up the political view of our participants in a single sentence... we couldn't. That's sort of the point.

Think of our event as Woodstock, but with the nudity and drugs replaced by respectful disagreement; the Million Man March, only a lot smaller, and a bit less of a sausage fest; or the Gathering of the Juggalos, but instead of throwing our feces at Tila Tequila, we'll be actively *not* throwing our feces at Tila Tequila. Join us in the shadow of the Washington Monument. And bring your indoor voice. Or don't. If you'd rather stay home, go to work, or drive your kids to soccer practice... Actually, please come anyway. Ask the sitter if she can stay a few extra hours, just this once. We'll make it worth your while.


I don't know how to get there, but I hella want to go!


Last edited by fbmf on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4275

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I read about it on Friday and it sounded pretty funny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zinegata
Prince


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 3808

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Stewart and Colbert.

But that the two most prominent talking heads on the left are both hosts on Comedy Central still depresses me. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
violence in the media
Duke


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 1627

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A NSFW song about the pope.

ROFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erik
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4805

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This could go to youtube vids I suppose, but it seems a bit more political.

I mean, it is Stephen Colbert addressing some members of Congress afterall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maj
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4201
Location: Shelton, Washington, USA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How can people not laugh at that? Seriously, the only laughter was in response to Colbert saying that he expected both sides to work together to resolve the issue - like they always do.

If this is what Congress is like all the time, it's no wonder they never get anything done - they're asleep.
_________________
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too. Oh, hey! There's now a Minecraft Edition of GODzookery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zinegata
Prince


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 3808

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fox News had a field day with that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 16013

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was some smirking at what he said, but I got the feeling they weren't taking him seriously. He was like Stanchek the jester trying to tell the king to not let the bear out of the cage, but the king wasn't listening. Congress wasn't even taking him seriously as entertainment, they seemed to think he was a mildly amusing preshow and just yammering. One of them was checking her fucking phone!

It was pathetic, he was there for a serious fucking reason, and while he may have couched it in mirth, he was seriously trying to help. And they all but ignored him.
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CatharzGodfoot
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5664
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Socialist Amerika, atheists and agnostics know more about religion than the religious
_________________
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
virgil
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5882

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sort of. Atheists/agnostics know more about religion in general. For the Bible and Christianity, Mormons and Evangelists beat us; and if I recall (site's down for me), the survey had most of its theological questions in regards to the Bible/Christianity.

Except for identifying regions/people with certain religions, the only Hindu question I saw when I tried to take the survey myself was "what religion is Vishnu and Shiva associated with?"
_________________
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord


Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 8486
Location: Oakland, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I and my mother recently got back from the house of some acquaintances with television, where we all watched the debate between Jerry Brown and Meg Whitman. Surprisingly entertaining stuff. Jerry Brown was asked about pension reform, and he pointed out that pension-wise, he's one of the best deals for our money, because every time we elect him we put off him collecting pension for 4 more years. 2 terms more and he won't collect pension money till 80.

In general, I found this one of the more persuading pieces of public speaking I've heard from Brown in recent memory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erik
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4805

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
In Socialist Amerika, atheists and agnostics know more about religion than the religious



Ooooh, and it comes with a quiz! I loves me my quizzes.

I got 13/15. Last one stumped me and I screwed the pooch on Jewish Sabbath (my mind went to The Big Lebowski, which wasn't as helpful one would imagine).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 26781

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Jewish Sabbath one is a trick question. The Sabbath is Saturday, but they count it starting when the sun sets on Friday. The key is asking the question when does the Sabbath begin, rather than what day it is.

And yeah, Apparently only 11% of people know who major leaders of the First Great Awakening are. Considering that Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God came out in 1741, I'm hardly surprised. It's a pretty obscure question, and I certainly did not know the answer to it.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zinegata
Prince


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 3808

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-september-27-2010/bill-o-reilly

I love those two when they are together so much.

And strictly speaking, they both support gay marriage! Jumping
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koumei
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12681
Location: South Ausfailia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was pretty funny. And it gave a glimpse of BillO that supports my suspicions: he's not as insane as he portrays on his show, it's a role he puts on for his viewers. I mean, clearly he's a Republican, but he rolled with the jokes there and had a laugh, it wasn't the BillO that appears on his own show.
_________________
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2289
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FrankTrollman wrote:
And yeah, Apparently only 11% of people know who major leaders of the First Great Awakening are. Considering that Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God came out in 1741, I'm hardly surprised. It's a pretty obscure question, and I certainly did not know the answer to it.

-Frank

This is why I believe the final comparison favors the test taker. Namely, when people have to vocalize their answer and/or there's a witness to their possible display of LOL FAIL, they would often say "I don't know" even when they strongly lean towards a particular (likely correct) option or can just pick an option at random. Because being WRONG is "worse" than not knowing.

In an online test, it is often not even possible to skip a question without answering (here it IS possible), so people are more likely to pick at random and succeed, and the test actually rewards random guesses by not penalizing wrong answers.

That's how I got 13/15 correctly (failed the Sabbath and Communion questions, doubted a couple others, got lucky at Q15).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
violence in the media
Duke


Joined: 06 Jan 2009
Posts: 1627

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got 14/15 and the only one I had to guess on was Q15 (which I got wrong). I was a little concerned about the wording for the question involving Joseph Smith, as I thought they might have been asking about his religion before founding Mormonism. However, since they didn't have an option for "loony magical christian mystic" I went with the straightforward answer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4275

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I managed to get 15, but the only reason I got the nirvana one was because I had already read the answer. I would have had a 50-50 chance to get that one right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Prak
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 16013

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

14/15 and that's only because I didn't notice Job as the answer on one until I'd picked a different one and clicked next
_________________
Dean, on Paranoia wrote:
The book is a hardbound liars paradox.


Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.


FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zinegata
Prince


Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 3808

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:
That was pretty funny. And it gave a glimpse of BillO that supports my suspicions: he's not as insane as he portrays on his show, it's a role he puts on for his viewers. I mean, clearly he's a Republican, but he rolled with the jokes there and had a laugh, it wasn't the BillO that appears on his own show.


This is technically part 2. Stewart appeared on BillO's show last week.

And yes, BillO's not insane (he does actually support gay marriage and he's the only Fox guy to praise Obama).

His problem is that he's a shameless self-promoter and he has a temper. His temper seems to have gone down over the years, but maybe that's because he seems much saner when put beside Beck and Hannity ("Fairest guy in the Temple of Doom").

But if Stewart and O'Reilly ever decide to do a show together, the result is basically a funny, politically mature version of Ernie and Bert.


Last edited by Zinegata on Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
name_here
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 3341

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

14/15 because I don't keep up with catholic teachings.
_________________
DSMatticus wrote:
It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maj
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4201
Location: Shelton, Washington, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

14/15 because of the last one.
_________________
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too. Oh, hey! There's now a Minecraft Edition of GODzookery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11915

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fuck you guys, talking about your results! GRR, now I had to take the test.

15/15 because I vaguely remember names from high school History where my prof was obsessed with the Great Awakening.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ubernoob
Duke


Joined: 17 May 2008
Posts: 2443

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that last one is pretty obscure. I wouldn't have gotten the sabatth one before reading this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koumei
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12681
Location: South Ausfailia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am ashamed... only 10/15. Sabbath, Mother Theresa, the last one, opening class with prayer (I knew America was more Christian-friendly than the Conservatives want people to believe, with their "You can't even carry a Bible to school (and hit people in the head with it until they convert)!", apparently they do draw the line at prayer).
_________________
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 494, 495, 496  Next
Page 1 of 496

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group