To lift the ban, or not to lift the ban?

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ganbare Gincun wrote:Round up some additional moderators from outside the forum? People that have little interest in gaming and no connection to this community at all in order to encourage impartial rulings on user disputes?
Seriously? Who would do that free of charge?

Game On,
fbmf
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

fbmf wrote:
Ganbare Gincun wrote:Round up some additional moderators from outside the forum? People that have little interest in gaming and no connection to this community at all in order to encourage impartial rulings on user disputes?
Seriously? Who would do that free of charge?

Game On,
fbmf
I had some friends of mine that ran a small forum a few years ago, and that's basically what they did to keep the peace. They had a small circle of friends outside of their fandom that had some interest in the subject matter at hand (video games, anime), but they weren't anywhere nearly as fanatical as the regular posters, and they didn't get very emotionally or intellectually invested in the arguments that inevitably came up.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

The alternative is to look at the existing member pool. The SD.net moderating crew, if I'm not mistaken, do it for free and were recruited from the existing forum populace.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Zinegata wrote:The alternative is to look at the existing member pool.
Not it!
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Not it!
I'm just saying what worked in other forums. I'm not saying it'll work here :P
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
Not it!
Of course, we'd have to look for someone with moderator experience. ;P
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I promise, if elected for this position, to immediately abuse my powers and go on a drunken banning spree.

Not just of people I don't like. I can't promise I won't ban myself.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Koumei wrote:I promise, if elected for this position, to immediately abuse my powers and go on a drunken banning spree.

Well I certainly want to vote for Koumei now.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Being a moderator sounds like a real pain in the dick. Pass.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I have yet to see a forum where moderators are elected. And that's frankly a very bad idea.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I would like to say that Koumei has a brilliant plan. I shall steal it once I am elected as moderator.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:I promise, if elected for this position, to immediately abuse my powers and go on a drunken banning spree.

You know, I had the exact same idea...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

-*waits for fbmf to shut the argument down*-
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm pretty sure there is no chance of a vote, or even of someone being selected for moderator position.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, selecting any current member would just be a bad idea...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

For me, The Den was the place to go for political commentary by sane people. It will be sad to see politics banned forever.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

fbmf wrote:I also work a full time job and am getting close to being a father, which I am told is another full time job.
Congrats. Yeah, if you want to do it well, it does take a lot of time. Rewarding time, but still: time. [/off topic]
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Starmaker wrote:For me, The Den was the place to go for political commentary by sane people. It will be sad to see politics banned forever.
This.

I had thought debate, political or otherwise, to be the raison d'être of this board; that the Gaming Den was founded as a sanctuary for free speech -and so it seems that silencing those of us who enjoy a healthy argument, merely because it offends a few thinskinned individuals who can't bear the thought of someone holding differing viewpoints from their own, would be a tragic occurence indeed.

Having said that, I appreciate that we are having this argument at all (as opposed to being treated to a blanket ban).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There are actually a number of conversations right now that are basically in frozen stasis because of the ban.

The Wish Economy discussion can't really talk about the economy at all, because that's politics. All it has right now is a shallow discussion of nominally valuable things lying around on the ground in a couple of easily accessible planes and a narrow run down of some spell and creature power effects that can generate things with a gp value.

The Tiers an Levels discussion is basically frozen out of world building discussion, because that's all politics. There is still plenty to do with raw mechanics, but the discussion is going to have to be removed from the board once world building begins in earnest if the ban remains.

Discussion of aWoD is almost entirely politics, and only a few of the chapters can be addressed with new posts/errata so long as the ban is in place.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Eh? I don't think the ban is meant to cover any of the things that Frank claims as being "banned".

For instance, that certainly hasn't stopped Frank from pointing out that you could use Wish and have the equivalent of the gold production of Alaska, or saying that such gold production is ultimately irrelevant.

I don't mind arguments that say "The ban should be lifted because it stifles gaming discussion". But quite frankly, no evidence exists to show this is the case. In fact, one of Frank's sample threads already has him introducing real world economics ("politics" in his terms), and nobody thought it violated the ban.
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Despite the ban there was some ass-hatery in the IMHO this week. I did notice that it did die down after fbmf made his presence known. So banning political debate isn't sufficient to end bad behaviour, although a stronger moderator presence does make a difference.

I'd really like to see the political topics come back and stay, this is one of the freest boards on the web and I'd hate to lose that just because some people don't know how to behave.

P.S. Congratulations fbmf!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Juton wrote:Despite the ban there was some ass-hatery in the IMHO this week.
Domestic asshattery. Not only that, there are three locked topics in MSIMPS that were started waaaaay after the ban was introduced.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Posters that aren't that active huh?

For the hell of it, if I pointed out I barely posted here anymore how many people would tell me to suck a barrel of cocks? 5? 10? Over 9,000?

Disclaimer: I'm not actually volunteering.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

All I can gather from the various arguments is that women are centaurs.

Personally I'm in favour of lifting the ban and simply creating a few "free for all" threads in MPSIMS that are unmoderated save for posts/chains of posts that actually disrupt the workings of the forums.

Of course, in order to stop this from spilling into the rest of the forums you'd want to have some sort of forced anonymity thing for those threads...

Maybe a forum where the username field is invisible to people who aren't moderators, for all of those heated discussions?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Vnonymous wrote:All I can gather from the various arguments is that women are centaurs.
Wha?