[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Almaz wrote:"Decriminalize prostitution, but criminalize every other aspect" sounds a lot like the so-called "Nordic model" which has a tendency of maintaining the undesirable effect of driving sex work underground. Only a tiny sliver of locations, like Denmark, have pursued actual decriminalization.
There is a reason I offered 'heavily regulate' - I'm not a fan of criminalizing the rest of it, either. But decriminalizing the prostitution bit is incredibly important, because if you don't do that then the police are just de facto enforcers - they are another threat to the victim that keeps them trapped.

I would vastly prefer if employing prostitutes were a heavily regulated affair - the sort of thing that carried significant labor rights and triggered inspections.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Koumei wrote: What you then do is simply allow sex workers the same legal protections and rights as literally any other worker (or indeed, person). And I imagine there might already be laws you can basically use against trafficking under the headers of kidnapping, holding people against their will, and slavery of any kind.
Good luck with that since there also is plenty of trafficking/enslavement of people for non-sex work.

Fact is, if you have two nearby countries where one has a lot more money than the other, there will be plenty of people in the poorer coutry vulnerable to exploitation with promises of a better paying job in the other side.

And plenty of people in the richer country will happilly pay for cheaper services.

Blame the pimps and the trafickers, but lots of other people need to willingly giving them money too to keep the underground business running.

So the only real solution is improving the conditions of the poorer countries, otherwise you'll always have people vulnerable to exploitation, people ready to exploit them for profit, and people willing to pay for said exploitation.

The reverse is also true. Greece for example has legal prostitution, but saw a massive increase of illegal sex workers as the country's economy worsened (about 20 to 1). Not to mention the exploitation of refugees.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stormfront close to shutting down as financial trouble rises

Apparently the founder's wife was paying the bills not covered by contributions, and they're losing membership as younger nazis prefer other sites.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Knowing Shrapnel, maybe this should go in NSFW news, but...

Hasbro is taking preorders for a hypothetical 2 ft tall War for Cybertron Unicron toy

(Hasbro has a site where they "crowdfund" stuff, but it's basically less "help us put the money together for this!" and more "If we make this ridiculous thing, will enough of you buy it to justify making it?")
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Jesus fuck me that's sexy.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Forget Shrapnel . . I want that!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.