It Comes in Threes: Tome IRC game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

quoted.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Exciting - the game hasn't even started and we're already fighting. :D

Do you have a character sheet somewhere, Prak_Anima? You and GoA are the only two who haven't posted at least an outline of your character, so just wonderin'.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was house sitting for family and so away from books and stuff for a couple days. I've got a sheet started and can have it finished by monday.

I just remembered though... I have no clue what you guys were talking about for the ability scores... explanation?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

There are four sets of ability scores generated somehow by Mask. Pick one and use it. Unless I'm mistaken they are in character sheet order, so Str first and so on.

10, 14, 16, 14, 12, 18
12, 16, 12, 10, 12, 16
14, 18, 14, 12, 14, 16
12, 10, 14, 14, 18, 16
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask, as far as magic arrows, In the Tomes somewhere, I can't remember where exactly, it spells out that magic arrows shouldn't be a bundle, they should be all black arrow of guy who killed smog where you have one, but it is always recoverable after the battle.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kaelik wrote:Mask, as far as magic arrows, In the Tomes somewhere, I can't remember where exactly, it spells out that magic arrows shouldn't be a bundle, they should be all black arrow of guy who killed smog where you have one, but it is always recoverable after the battle.
There are two conflicting suggestions. The RoW magic arrows are cut-price, but more expensive than core ammunition. And they don't break. BoG arrows, on the other hand, are always single-use spell effects.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

hm... what else would be a good granted ability for an Earth sphere, because I kind of want to take the Tremoursense elemental feat (assuming Mask's ok with that) and don't want a redundant ability...

also: what the hell knowledge should geology fall under?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Prak_Anima wrote:also: what the hell knowledge should geology fall under?
Geography. Same prefix. SRD says it covers "lands" and "terrain".

That said, the knowledge set use in 3e is pretty dumb, and are commonly house-ruled.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:

That said, the knowledge set use in 3e is pretty dumb, and are commonly house-ruled.
yeah, the SRD description for geography implies more of a political geography slant.

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Prak_Anima wrote:hm... what else would be a good granted ability for an Earth sphere, because I kind of want to take the Tremoursense elemental feat (assuming Mask's ok with that) and don't want a redundant ability...
You could always throw in a burrow speed. Or an increased movement speed while on earth (think the earth surfing Toph does near the end of season 2). Or perhaps the squares immediately around you are considered to be difficult terrain. Maybe that's too good...

Here is a really easy one - have the sphere give 60' tremorsense, or +30' if you have tremorsense already. Extra range on your senses is never a bad thing.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Prak_Anima wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:

yeah, the SRD description for geography implies more of a political geography slant.
Yeah, but any significant knowledge of geopolitics is actually local, nobility, or history. Pretend that "lands" in this context means the physical ground, rather than 'nations'.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the feat gives 120' of tremoursense. Given that I'm not actually going to make demon!toph blind, half a foot ball field of tremoursense seems a bit ludicrous.

I've been looking for a way to do the earth surfing thing, might do that. or replace Xorn movement and give burrow... not sure.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

How about 'ignore difficult terrain' for earth surfing?
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok, made it this:
You gain the Earth Glide ability of an earth elemental. You still have to worry about breathing, if you breath, and will take damage from tectonic effects. You move through the earth at your base speed as if burrowing (anything which would affect a burrow speed affects this ability). As a side effect, you ignore difficult terrain that is earthen in nature.
and amended the metal sphere to let you metal glide as well (in addition to it's earth=rock=metal thing).

work?

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

To me that seems crazy good, at least in a general context. Imagine, for example, a vampire warlock using it.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:ok, made it this:
You gain the Earth Glide ability of an earth elemental. You still have to worry about breathing, if you breath, and will take damage from tectonic effects. You move through the earth at your base speed as if burrowing (anything which would affect a burrow speed affects this ability). As a side effect, you ignore difficult terrain that is earthen in nature.
and amended the metal sphere to let you metal glide as well (in addition to it's earth=rock=metal thing).

work?
I believe Kaelik's character had earth glide (the spell) at will and it didn't disrupt anything.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, I'm just leery of making it a granted power. Probably not a huge deal though, it's basically just burrow and a retyped 2nd level druid ability.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Prak_Anima wrote:yeah, I'm just leery of making it a granted power. Probably not a huge deal though, it's basically just burrow and a retyped 2nd level druid ability.
Well, everyone else is fucking FLYING. I can't see it being that big of a deal.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

that too. Hell, this doesn't even compete with flying... I still need to figure something out for that.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok, found something to replace Earth Glide (the spell) with, in the earth sphere. Earth Walk. yes, a psionic power. Honestly shouldn't be a huge deal, just gets funky with detect magic and such, I suppose.

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

As far as combat goes, Earth Glide is a lot like having permanent cover. It's really nice, but it's not going to destroy the system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok cool.

on another note, I'm so glad I read through a few backgrounds, this is like, infinitely better than just "raised by badger demons"
Hypolita's Background wrote:Background: Royalty of a Fallen Nation
"Last bastard daughter of the Vasharan Democratic Usurper. When the royal family was slaughtered by brutal alchemist's fire explosion one night by Guay Fawlux in an overthrow of the tyrannical president to restore the constitutional republic once upheld and not-hated by the Vashar people, she was spirited away into the night by badger demons and earth devils to be raised in the ways of killing your enemies by shoving a stalagmite up their ass in Pandemonium. Here she learned to see her surroundings through the very earth and fling fire and sharp rocks at her enemies. She has returned to claim her birth right, twenty leagues* of demonic orc warriors, control of the Vashar people, and an assortment of outsider concubines."

*yes, leagues. They're marine orcs.
pitching items here... tell me if the custom stuff seems ungodly powerful or anything
  • Bracers of the Goliath- +1/3 Character Level bonus to Str, when using Fist of Stone, you are treated as if you were a Goliath (fists deal damage as cold iron). Earth Hammer
  • Belt of the Mineral Warrior- +1/3 Character Level bonus to DR. Mineralize Warrior (per day uses, maybe?)
  • Stone Knife- A Spikes of Fury spike that she's held onto and got enchanted. Magic caustic dagger.
  • don't know yet. will likely be a flight item, but I still want to try and get a sphere spell that lets me do the floating stone thing...Sand of Flight. Allows flight by way of giving the user a platform of sand to stand on, can be contained in a jar.
Oh, and I'm going to put together more spheres, because it's perversely fun. Sand and Salt/Mineral at the least, possibly a magma sphere or something...

edit:figured the flight item out.

editedit: *looks up weight of sand* gah! um... jar of holding just for sand? enough sand for a 1' thick 5' square platform is 20,833 (1/3) lbs....
Last edited by Prak on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

First, what the fuck is Earth Hammer?

Second: does Mineralize Warrior just flat out give you the Mineral Warrior subtype? If so, I have no idea why it's worth a 6th level slot. It goes against the concept of a Minor Magical Item, but it seems meh enough with whatever else you have.

Third: Just say the belt makes your rocks count as Cold Iron, instead of dicking around with obscure monster rules.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Earth Hammer is a spell from Races of Stone. Increases the damage of a weapon as if it were a size larger and makes it act as adamantine for 1 round/level.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, mineralize warrior gives a creature the mineral warrior template, so:
+3 natural armour
burrow at 1/2 highest speed, remove flight
earth smite: +Con mod to attack, +1 dam/racial hd to a target standing on earth or rock 1/day
Darkvision
DR 8/Adamantine
+2 Str, +4 Con, -2 mentals

There's actually an issue with the spell though, in that it's instaneous. So for an item I guess it'd have to be more of "X/day:take on the mineral warrior template for (x amount time)"

If that's too powerful, or too complicated, that's cool, I'll look at something else.

And yeah, the bracers were just going to basically change how Fist of Stone reacted to my character, but I realized I could just use Earth Hammer to do basically the same thing and tack on a "you count as this kind of creature" thing.

EDIT: I think I've got my character all finished, if some one wants to take a fresh eyed look. I've got the proposed items on there, and just figured on a 3/day for Cha+3 rnds on the belt, just to put something, and I worked up the following for her armour:
Sand Armour [Light]
Armour Bonus: +4, Max Dex: 6, ACP: -2, ASP: -2
This armour is actually an enchanted mass of sand designed to form a bond with you, taking direction from your mental command. It can be stored as a shaped mass when not in use.
Concentration Ranks Benefit
4: A mass of sand begins to swirl around you when you enter combat, joining and hardening when a blow comes near, absorbing the impact. You receive DR 5/Piercing
8: You can direct you armour to strike an opponent that has just attacked you. Attacking you in melee or close (<25') range provokes an attack of opportunity, which you may only use the armour to take, it's considered a light melee or range (10' increment) weapon, 1d4 bludgeoning, slashing or piercing damage (pick when you attack), x2 crit.
13: At your mental command, the sand can form a solid barrier between you and another creature about the size of a large, round tower shield. This barrier gives you cover against area and burst attacks. Alternatively, the sand can take a wide dispersal pattern around you and grant concealment. Only one of these forms can be active at a time, and it takes one round to switch. Your mental command is a free action.
18: You gain complete control over the sand, and can shape it at will. You may cause it to mimic the form of other items. When it mimics another suit of armour, it takes on the numbers of the mimicked armour, but it retains the special benefits of Sand Armour. Weapons formed have the return ability, and you retain the armour. If the armour is magical, then any item formed from it's sand is as well.

If someone can tell me anywhere that I fucked up, and Mask can give me feedback on items, then I'll make whatever changes I need to, and I'll be ready to go.

stealing For Valor's format
Hypolita
Female NE Half Orc Warlock, Level 6, Init +2, HP 47/47, DR 5/Piercing, Speed 30' (60 fly from Flight Sand)
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 4
magic(+2), caustic Dagger (an improved and retained stone spike) +6m/r (1d4+4)
Stone Spikes +6 r/m (1d4+2, 12/day)
Eldritch Blast +6 rt (6d6 fire, or 4d6 hellfire)
Fist of Stone +6 m (2d6+2 cold iron//3d6+2 adamantine and cold iron with bracers, 1/day)
Abilities Str 13 (15), Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 18
Special Abilities
-Eldritch Blast/ Hellfire Blast
-Fiendish Similarities
-Call Fiends
-Dark Vision 60'
-Earth Sphere (Adv.)
-Stone Sphere (Bas.)

Feats
-Item Master
-Spines of Fury (reflavoured to be stone spikes)
-Tremoursense

Skills
-Bluff +7 (3r)
-Concentration +11 (8r)
-Intimidate +11 (5r)
-Kn. The Planes +7 (5r)
-Kn. Arch. & Engin. +6 (4r)
-Kn Geography and earth stuff +8 (5r)
-Listen +6 (5r)
-Sleight of Hand +5 (3r)
-Spellcraft +6 (4r)
-Spot +5 (4r)
-UMD +15 (8r)

Magic Items:
1. Magic Caustic Stone Spike Dagger
2. Bracers of the Goliathon (use Earth Hammer, treated as a Goliath for Fist of Stone)
3. Belt of the Mineral Warrior (assume Mineral Warrior template 3/day, Cha+3 rnds)
4. Magic Sand Armour of Fly

Stat Changes in Mineral Warrior form:
HP: 59/59
AC: 19 flatfooted 17
Str 17, Con 20
-1 penalty on checks or abilities involving a mental stat
DR 8/Adamantine
Earth Smite: 1/day can add +5 to an attack roll against an opponent touching earth/stone
"Natural" 15' burrow speed
Last edited by Prak on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.