It Comes in Threes: Tome IRC game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mask_De_H
Duke

It Comes in Threes: Tome IRC game

Post by Mask_De_H »

So, if anybody was following the Tome WLD thread, they would know that I took over as interim DM. They would also know that we're out two of our three members now. But instead of let it die, we're just going to start over with a new save.

[NOW LOADING]

[You do not have a saved game in memory card 1. Care to make a new one? Yes/No]

TOME W(i)LD THING 2: IT COMES IN THREES

The world of Generia is a blank slate; one where any adventurer can change the face of with a word. The only real constant is that nothing is really constant; if it's interesting enough, it exists. Are you bad enough dudes to hold the very world in your hands?

This will be a [Tome] game, level 6, four Book of Gears items and whatever mundane shit you want. This game is going to be tongue in cheek and pretty freeflowing; if you sling it by me, I'll probably run with it. We'll be playing every Monday at 9 PM CST on IRC, in the #valhalla channel of irc.nightstar.net.

Ubernoob and Koumei have reserved slots, if they want back in. I'll take 5 people total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Are you allowing Leadership or something similar for mounts? I still have a goblin knight that I'm interested in playing.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

Hey there, I usually lurk around here, but I'd be interested in this. I'll PM you with character ideas later tonight.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Posting interest.

How long would a session go?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

stating interest also, pending an answer to Valor's question.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

Sorry about the double post.
Last edited by Echoes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

And the triple.
Last edited by Echoes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Echoes, stop Echoing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Color me interested. I have a handful of different Tome builds rattling around my brain that have been waiting to get out.
Last edited by Pixels on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

From the top:

Catharz: Yeah, you can use regular Leadership, or Frank's versions if you can find them.

Echoes: Cool, sounds good.

For Valor: Average session runs 2-3 hours

Prak: See above

Pixels: Cool, sounds...we've entered an endless recursion of time.

Everybody: Run your characters and wanted things by me first; I'll allow almost anything, as long as you tell me exactly how they work and what they do.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Some ideas for mounts without using feats.
1) Buy a hippogriff. They're pretty cool.
2) Buy a pegasus. They're even cooler.
3) Buy a giant eagle. They're also cool.
4) Just cheat and use one of your four items to have the animal summoning property. Just keep the animal summoned all the time and ride around looking cool with your tiger mount.

I hate leadership. I hate it so much. Please don't use leadership. For me. Pretty please?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

5) Make a custom item that calls a certain magical beast or whatever.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Echoes, you're hilarious hilarious hilarious

Is a Genkotsuken a viable class? A monk full of hate with magic Kamehamehas?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

For Valor wrote:Is a Genkotsuken a viable class? A monk full of hate with magic Kamehamehas?
Ok, so you get a bit better than barbarian hit points and you can make an immediate action attack after being hit in melee a limited number of times per day...

Here's an idea, use the dungeonmonicon monk class. With weapon finesse and the trip/disarm check stance, you can get an AoO to be used for trips against anyone that attacks you (succeed or fail) and if your trip check succeeds and you have edge from weapon finesse, you get a free attack against their prone AC.

Plus, you can totally have two OTHER stances that do cool things. Or just dip monk and take levels in samurai or knight or whatfuckingever.

Yes, I really like the monk class.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I agree with Uber, Dungeonomicon Monks are fucking amazing. They are sex in Pog form.

I want someone who's not me to make a Tome game so I can play a D-con Monk.

FV, play a Dungeonomicon Monk.

On Cohorts: I'm going to try something different. You can make an item that gives you a mount if you want one. If you want something that does more than carry you around and die, you may make a cohort, but it will be summoned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 style. I.E. As a Move-equivalent action, usable 3 times a day, you can summon the character to do a standard action's worth of action.

Finally, I want to try the Frank Trollman method of ability generation: 4 abilities dice sets to work with.

10, 14, 16, 14, 12, 18
12, 16, 12, 10, 12, 16
14, 18, 14, 12, 14, 16
12, 10, 14, 14, 18, 16
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:Finally, I want to try the Frank Trollman method of ability generation: 4 abilities dice sets to work with.

10, 14, 16, 14, 12, 18
12, 16, 12, 10, 12, 16
14, 18, 14, 12, 14, 16
12, 10, 14, 14, 18, 16
These are a bit better than the 36 pointbuy the group has been playing with. For instance, my starter 'rolls' looked something like 11/8/15/13/16/16
Last edited by ubernoob on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm kinda thinking about using Warlock to make an earthbender style character. Working on a sphere to give a few more earthbender type powers the stone sphere doesn't.

Oh, and I'd also need/want to change the eldritch blast to throwing stone somehow... maybe just straight up change eldritch blast into throwing a stone, then hellfire into cold iron or silver blast or something, and dark blast into adamantine blast?
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

I would make a Monk, but it doesn't have the "Darky McDarkDark" flavor I'm looking for... and I've played it too many times already.

maybe I'll take some Shadow Caster (Koumei).

Any suggestions? I'd kind of like to play with the negative energy theme. Maybe ubernoob/sinister's Binder, though I'd have to write up a vestige.
Last edited by For Valor on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

For Valor wrote:I would make a Monk, but it doesn't have the "Darky McDarkDark" flavor I'm looking for...
Boneblade reaper

Just dip some caster, take monk, happy birthday. (spec. 3monk/3arcane, take boneblade at 7th).

--------------------------------------

So... thinking more on the warlock earthbender...
I figure she was trained by badger fiends to wield earth and fire as weapons, this explains the eldritch blast and what not nicely enough, and I can use sphere spell likes for throwing rock at enemies.
However, questions:
1) would working up an Earth sphere and fiddling with the Stone and Metal spheres be cool?
2)Could Fiendish Similarity grant me access to Elemental feats (instead of necromantic, if necessary, or restricted to one or two elements instead of full access?)

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Completely off topic
For Valor wrote:Maybe ubernoob/sinister's Binder, though I'd have to write up a vestige.
At first I was going to call bullshit and say I've never been involved in such a class. Then I looked it up. DEFINITELY has traces of my work in it. Then I looked at the date. Almost two years ago.

Moral of the story: Ubernoob needs to stop smoking so much pot and chasing so many women because two years feels like a long time.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Mask_De_H wrote:On Cohorts: I'm going to try something different. You can make an item that gives you a mount if you want one. If you want something that does more than carry you around and die, you may make a cohort, but it will be summoned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 style. I.E. As a Move-equivalent action, usable 3 times a day, you can summon the character to do a standard action's worth of action.
Hmm. Does that mean that I can ride around on the mount as normal, and then 3/day have it use diplomacy, make a spot check, full attack, or whatever else?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

this is what I'm looking at for the spheres so far, it's difficult because there's a lot of earth and stone stuff that would fit, and I'm iffy on the granted powers:

Earth
Granted Power: You gain the Earth Glide ability of an earth elemental. You still have to worry about breathing, if you breath, and will take damage from tectonic effects. You move through the earth at your base speed as if burrowing (anything which would affect a burrow speed affects this ability). As a side effect, you ignore difficult terrain that is earthen in nature.
1: Earthen Grasp (Carc)
3: Earth Walk?
5: Phantom Steed (reflav. as a mass of earth)
7: Sudden Stalagmite (SpC)
9: Wall of Sand
11: Move Earth
13: Earthquake
15: Great Wyrm of the Earth (Cm)
17: Bombardment
19: Imprisonment

Stone
Granted Power: Spell like abilities you possess which are restricted to earth or metal work on stone. If an earth or metal spell like ability you possess has a stone version, you gain access to that spell as a spell like ability which shares uses per day with the original version.
1: Fist of Stone
3: Spike Stones
5: Stone Shape
7: Stone Skin
9: Commune with Earth (RoF)
11: Stone Body
13: Transmute Mud<>Rock
15: Master Earth
17: Meteor Swarm
19: Heart of Stone

Metal
Granted Power: Spell like abilities you possess which are restricted to earth or stone work on metal. If an earth or stone spell like ability you possess has a stone version, you gain access to that spell as a spell like ability which shares uses per day with the original version. If you possess the Earth Glide ability, you can use it in metal as easily as earth.
1: Iron Scarf
3: Chill/Heat Metal
5: Keen Edge
7: Rusting Grasp
9: Lesser Ironguard
11: Call Zelekhut
13: Blade Barrier
15: Repel Metal/Stone
17: Awaken Construct
19: Summon Golem (Iron Only) (Stone as well, if you possess the Stone sphere, Clay if you possess the earth sphere)

I have no clue if the granted powers on Stone and Metal are appropriate in any way other than flavour.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

Prak_Anima wrote:this is what I'm looking at for the spheres so far, it's difficult because there's a lot of earth and stone stuff that would fit, and I'm iffy on the granted powers:

Earth

<snip sphere 1>

Stone

<snip sphere 2>

Earth

<snip sphere ... 3?>
Uh, Prak, you've got some confused spheres there methinks.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thanks. fixed now, even if the the actual name of the third sphere should have been obvious.

For Valor
Knight-Baron

fuck bitches, get money

Post by For Valor »

heh.... Prak is bad at naming things...

Also, I'm gonna run a Shadow Caster. It's too much fun to not play, especially since I've RP-ed the monk into the ground

do you need the link, Mask?
Last edited by For Valor on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.