Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Her Story Season 1

Tells the story of two transgender women living in Los Angeles and their struggles in dating and in their professional lives.

It's only 6 episodes, each around 8 minutes, but the writing and acting is very good. I learn a good bit about trans issues from the show.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I've been binging Money Heist on Netflix. It's a Spanish series about a group "robbing" the Spanish mint (actually they break in and hijack the printers to make 2.4 billion unmarked euros) in the first two seasons and then break into the Spanish National Bank in seasons 3 and 4 to steal the gold, and state secrets kept within.

It's really good, even if they should know by the second heist to have duct tape and a contingency plan for problem hostages...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak wrote:I've been binging Money Heist on Netflix. It's a Spanish series about a group "robbing" the Spanish mint (actually they break in and hijack the printers to make 2.4 billion unmarked euros) in the first two seasons and then break into the Spanish National Bank in seasons 3 and 4 to steal the gold, and state secrets kept within.

It's really good, even if they should know by the second heist to have duct tape and a contingency plan for problem hostages...
I'll have to watch that next time I subscribe to Netflix. It might be a while; the delay in the live action Cowboy Bebop (due to the lead getting injured on-set) should be ending around now, but I'm guessing they'll wait until after the plague ends.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Run The Jewels RTJ4 is the most relevant album of 2020. And the best political hip hop since (at least) Public Enemy

Here's the antifascist track about police murdering innocent black civilians as part of the school to prison pipeline:
https://youtu.be/GG8LcqR1kqw
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

New Chapelle... concert I guess, is really good, he's got a great way of structuring and adding the twist that connects things mentioned early on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The singing lady got reunited with her estraged family from this too
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

OgreBattle wrote:The singing lady got reunited with her estraged family from this too
That's awesome! Glad to hear things can get better sometimes
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

The Siege, 1998. Not a particularly amazing movie, but oh so prescient and relevant to this timeline. And it has Aasif Mandvi.
Last edited by phlapjackage on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Watched the Netflix: Eurovision: the Story of Fire Saga spoof. Overall merely okay, but every one of the spoof musical numbers was howling laughter hilarious - if you are even passingly familiar with Eurovision you'll want to watch.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Got round to watching John Wick...quite some years late, but whatever.

I'm sure someone here said something about how you could give him fangs and make a V:TM (or at least V:TM:B) style movie out of it, and, yeah, did have a V:TM or V:TM:B vibe to it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Russian sounding accents and business suits seem a part of that
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I imagine that the whole "sea full of dead bodies and more betrayal than the Roman senate" help, too.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

He's also nicely dressed in black the whole time, described (albeit metaphorically) in supernatural terms and kills zillions of ordinary human mooks and is only threatened by other members of the elite club with their traditions, special gold coins and a doorman called Charon who asks what life is on the other side.

Aaaaaand I've now seen the sequel, and the various clans and their high council doesn't sound exactly like the Camarilla, not something exclusive to the Camarilla, but it doesn't sound very far away from it either.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to go all Werewolf with his dog though.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I just rewatched The 13th Warrior with my 13-year-old daughter. I've always liked the movie and I think it is seriously underrated. It only has a 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It appears that the critics lambast it as nothing more than a blood-thirsty action movie.

I think I understand where they're coming from, but I disagree. I do agree that individual characters are not terribly well-developed (like the Dwarves in The Hobbit) and that usually happens when you try to have a large group. I think it's worth setting that aside and treating it as a quasi-historical thriller - in that case, the failure to truly understand the Norse characters is the direct result of the narrator being an outsider.

I really enjoyed the aspects of language as depicted in the film - when Ibn meets the Norsemen, he doesn't speak their language. His adviser speaks Greek and then Latin - one of the Norsemen also responds in Latin. As they're doing the translation for the audience, it gives you a good sense of the feeling of exclusion and alienation. This is followed by a travel montage where Ibn comes to understand the language; it starts with all dialogue in Norse and then slowly transitions to partial English.

I got a kick out of it.
-This space intentionally left blank
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I've seen a lot of mockery of the 'learning Norse' scene as obviously fatuous, but my Mother has learned like six languages by immersion and she says it's incredibly accurate to her experience.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I've seen a lot of mockery of the 'learning Norse' scene as obviously fatuous, but my Mother has learned like six languages by immersion and she says it's incredibly accurate to her experience.
Who mocks that scene? It's like the gold-standard for a movie where characters speak a language other than English but the movie wants to have characters speak in English. The learning and transition montage couldn't have been more perfect: it's organic and believable and interesting and not overly long - it advances the story as well as mechanically allows the movie to shift into English.

Also Hunt For Red October is always mentioned with this topic - it has a good transition but it's a hard-cut instead of organically transitioning.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

It's an amazing movie and it's bad Rotten Tomatoes score is one of the things that made me realize RT measures how approachable a movie is not how good it is. 13th Warrior is a great and surprisingly historically rich film.
Last edited by Dean on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
erik
King

Post by erik »

The only ratings I care about on Rotten Tomatoes are the audience ratings, not critics. I find those are more in line with mine a lot more often. 65% for 13th Warrior seems about right. I don't remember why I didn't like that movie, but despite my penchant for rewatching things the last time I saw it was in theatre.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Went back and rewatched John Carpenter's 1982 The Thing since we are currently living through an age of paranoia where we can't tell who is infected.

Was really struck by how none of the characters have any backstory. They have a name and a job. A couple of them get quick establishing scenes to illustrate a personality trait, and that's it. No flashbacks. No dialogue about what drove them to work at this remote station, no wishful talk about what they can't wait to do when they leave the research station. Nada.

Instead all of the emotional conflicts in the film are generated from curiosity, stress, paranoia, and attempts to survive in the face of the film's alien threat. It works really well, and I cannot imagine anyone trying to pitch a script like that today.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Went back and rewatched John Carpenter's 1982 The Thing since we are currently living through an age of paranoia where we can't tell who is infected.

Was really struck by how none of the characters have any backstory. They have a name and a job. A couple of them get quick establishing scenes to illustrate a personality trait, and that's it. No flashbacks. No dialogue about what drove them to work at this remote station, no wishful talk about what they can't wait to do when they leave the research station. Nada.

Instead all of the emotional conflicts in the film are generated from curiosity, stress, paranoia, and attempts to survive in the face of the film's alien threat. It works really well, and I cannot imagine anyone trying to pitch a script like that today.
So what year did things change?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

OgreBattle wrote:So what year did things change?
I'm not enough of a film buff to have an informed answer. But my gut wants to point to Die Hard as part of the shift.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

After finding out it got picked up by A24, I tried the Hazbin Hotel pilot and it was really good, really looking forward to whatever the first season brings.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

saithorthepyro wrote:After finding out it got picked up by A24, I tried the Hazbin Hotel pilot and it was really good, really looking forward to whatever the first season brings.
I really glad that it got picked up.
Have you seen the Helluva Boss pilot? Also nice Alastor icon.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
saithorthepyro
Master

Post by saithorthepyro »

Leress wrote:
saithorthepyro wrote:After finding out it got picked up by A24, I tried the Hazbin Hotel pilot and it was really good, really looking forward to whatever the first season brings.
I really glad that it got picked up.
Have you seen the Helluva Boss pilot? Also nice Alastor icon.
Thanks! I have seen the Helluva Boss pilot, and I’m hoping it gets picked up as well, maybe if Hazbin gets enough of a good reception.