Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

The advertisements billing Deadpool was a romantic comedy weren't inaccurate. That was surprising.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

My point was that it comes across as rather disingenuous when you say "any number of sweaty action titles" as if you were picking random movies out of a hat rather than citing what is actually a pretty specific deconstruction of a prior work. It'd be like if I cited Attack The Block as a counterpoint but fronted like that film was the rule and not the exception.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Whipstitch wrote:My point was that it comes across as rather disingenuous when you say "any number of sweaty action titles" as if you were picking random movies out of a hat rather than citing what is actually a pretty specific deconstruction of a prior work. It'd be like if I cited Attack The Block as a counterpoint but fronted like that film was the rule and not the exception.
Yeah this. There are certainly movies of both types, but a specific one in a specific decade means nothing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Put in that way, I agree that yours is a reasonable counter-assertion.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I've noticed that 80s cinema is a high point in Hollywood non-racism, but I'm not sure if it's because the movies in general had better diversity or if it's because the ones we remember and care about had better diversity.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Chamomile wrote:I've noticed that 80s cinema is a high point in Hollywood non-racism, but I'm not sure if it's because the movies in general had better diversity or if it's because the ones we remember and care about had better diversity.
This... the SNES was gods gift to gaming and infinity times better than any other console because literally zero bad games were made for it...

Or alternatively, I've only played the ones that are actually good, and there was a bunch of shit too, but I didn't play the SNES until after I had played the n64.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I feel like you get a better idea of how shit is going by looking at the boiler plate stuff rather than message movies or the exceptional. By that metric I'd argue that the '80s and early '90s had an OK amount of diversity if measured by number of actors employed but the diversity of the roles they got was actually pretty low. By contrast these days even J. Lo and fucking Ice Cube can do bullshit comedies.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I don't think J Lo and Ice Cube are great barometers, though, because they've both been in the business for a long time, so the wider availability of roles could be due to progress, or length of career.

John Boyega's not a bad barometer, I don't think. I don't have IMDB open, but before playing Fin in TFA, his other major role (that I know of) was Moses, a gang leader in Attack the Block, which came out like five years ago. So he's still relatively new. What were newish black actors being given for roles in the 80s?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

They popped Eddie Murphy directly into the Richard Pryor socket. Denzel's probably the best case "Good parts right away" guy.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Whipstitch wrote:I feel like you get a better idea of how shit is going by looking at the boiler plate stuff rather than message movies or the exceptional. By that metric I'd argue that the '80s and early '90s had an OK amount of diversity if measured by number of actors employed but the diversity of the roles they got was actually pretty low. By contrast these days even J. Lo and fucking Ice Cube can do bullshit comedies.

Yeah, but those bullshit comedies suck.

Ice Cube and J. Lo can star in bullshit comedies because they starred in awesome career-making moving in 90s.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

hyzmarca wrote:
Yeah, but those bullshit comedies suck.
That doesn't actually matter.
hyzmarca wrote: Ice Cube and J. Lo can star in bullshit comedies because they starred in awesome career-making moving in 90s.
Yeah, in hood films and latino biopics respectively. Look, I ain't saying shit is a million times better. I'm saying that this whole business where Michael B. Jordan is a front runner for the lead only when the part specifically requires a young black guy isn't new. Remember when I said Denzel Washington had one of the easier transitions from quality tv to Hollywood? Well, behold his first theatrical release, ye mighty, and despair.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Whipstitch wrote:They popped Eddie Murphy directly into the Richard Pryor socket. Denzel's probably the best case "Good parts right away" guy.
I'll see your Denzel and raise you Will Smith. I think his career took off even faster. They both got their starts in TV, but Will Smith had fewer movies before he landed big with Independence Day and then it was a long string of big money makers that allowed him the pick of good roles that didn't revolve around his skin color (unlike say, Glory or Malcolm X, which were good roles, but not really a good example of Denzel breaking ground into the industry).
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, I mostly didn't really consider him because I was thinking '80s theatrical releases in particular rather than television but it'd be weird to insist that Fresh Prince had nothing to do with him making it.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Denzel had a long long run on St Elsewhere before he transitioned to movies as his major roles so I think it's fair game.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I really like the Copy Cat in Venture Brothers this season, and I'm enjoying some of the politics happening within the Guild.

I still wonder why/how they're getting fewer episodes per season with a longer gap between seasons.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I finally realized that I like May from Questionable Content because she reminds me of someone. And who that is.

May is android Koumei.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Nate Diaz vs McGregor
Holly Holmes vs Miesha Tate

A great night for the rear naked choke
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

So I saw this guy's package and audition on The Voice.

And while the performance was decent, what really got me was the realization that
He's the guy who should play Greg Universe in any live action version -- if not part of the inspiration for the animated character.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I apologize if this is been shared before, but I'm just now finding out about it and this is Poe's Law at its finest.

https://m.facebook.com/Christian-Mother ... 604170522/

Game On,
fbmf
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

fbmf wrote:I apologize if this is been shared before, but I'm just now finding out about it and this is Poe's Law at its finest.

https://m.facebook.com/Christian-Mother ... 604170522/

Game On,
fbmf
Terrible acrynomn.

They should call themselves Christian Ladies Indignant Towards Self-Abuse.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

hyzmarca wrote: Terrible acrynomn.

They should call themselves Christian Ladies Indignant Towards Self-Abuse.
Or my own personal favourite, the "Christian Ladies Indignant Towards Onanism and Rapaciously Immoral Selfabuse"

One drawback with that: the initials spell "CLITORIS"
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

http://www.ssega.com/

A site where you can play Sega Genesis games IN YOUR BROWSER without needing to download an emulator or anything. My brother clued me onto it, and it's awesome.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

The Cartoon Network Looney Tunes series that came out about 2012-ish.

Rather than being a bunch of slapstick vignettes, it was more like Bob's Burgers with WB cartoon characters.

Also, it gave us this:

The Wizard
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Always Sunny In Philidelphia is the most fun D&D tv show around. They really feel like murderhobo adventurers in a modern setting.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »