Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Why do American Godzilla films (now that we've had 2) focus on the human characters and the military, rather than the giant monsters? It's like Michael Bay secretly directed them, but with less fapping.
The original Godzilla film focused on the people (not really the defense force) more than the monster. Now that is where is films generally diverge.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, the original Godzilla film used the monster as a metaphor for the horror of the atomic bomb, and so he was more plot device than character. The recent movie went back to that well, so it's somewhat understandable that they would do the same, but that's really not what people want in their giant monster movies these days.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Japanese Godzilla movies are always at two levels:
1. Humans doing boring stuff
2. Godzilla destroying stuff, fighting monsters and generally being awesome.

All Godzilla movies suffer from the fact that they'd be better off without boring humans doing boring human things.

There are a few exceptions, Final Wars has humans fighting each others (and sometimes monsters), and it has [strike]Hagar[/strike] Colonel Gordon. Godzilla vs Megalon has the Seatopia guys (japanese guys in toga) who add to the whole WTF aspect of the movie, Godzilla vs Biollante (if I remember correctly) has a pretty cool terrorist...

But generally speaking you spend most of the movies waiting for Godzilla to show up and destroy some models and fight another guy in a suit, while Japanese guys run around trying to do stuff and fall in love/gain the respect of their father/protect their children/etc.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The new Godzilla movie was much better when the nuclear engineer was still in the picture. I was really liking it up 'till he died, after that it dropped to "not bad" and stayed there until the end when we finally got to see a proper kaiju fight.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Basically, its hard to write dialog for Kaiju, given that they don't speak, and you can only fill so much screen time with giant monsters destroying cities before it becomes repetitive.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Oooor they should wise up and start writing dialog (or at least monologues) for Godzilla.

I'm imagining Alan Rickman voicing Godzilla complaining about the stupid town and its people as he trashes the place. I could watch that for an hour with 15-30 minutes of non-zilla exposition peppered in.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I would love a Godzilla movie with a Warm Bodies-style internal monologue covering the plot.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

This week's episode of How to Get Away With Murder was pretty darned badass.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The new Star Wars trailer has a guy with a lightsaber that generates a crossguard. That is fantastic.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

When I saw that, I nearly exceeded myself with excitement. And there was a black Stormtrooper to top it all off!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

That was pretty cool, though I'm wondering why not go for a bell guard instead. In other news, the trailer contained 0% evidence that this movie will be remotely interesting to those of us who have seen Star Wars. It seems thus far to be a straight rehash of episode 4 and not any kind of development or expansion of the star wars project.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing actually. Star Wars is stupid enough trying to do something with artistic merit may not be worth it, and if he decided to just remake the original with modern special effects, for kids who haven't seen the old star warses (or any star warses), I can respect that.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I don't see it. I mean, it's a teaser. It hasn't revealed anything at all about the plot. All it's shown is cool images that make nerds ejaculate, but nothing story or plot related.
Half asleep upon my knee
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Shush, you. You're killing their nerd-boners.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Last edited by Prak on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Greetings, Rightful Heirs and Usurpers Alike!

It has come to our attention that many of you who indulge in Crusader Kings II often air grievances about the game "murdering your social life". The tales of your strife has not fallen on deaf ears and thus we offer a solution!

Crusader Kings II: Way of Life will add more depth to the games role playing elements, leaving you desiring nothing from real world social gatherings! The expansion is available now and the customary free patch was also delivered today!
Paradox has the best sense of humor. This is nearly as good as that zombie viking joke.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Shrapnel wrote:I don't see it. I mean, it's a teaser. It hasn't revealed anything at all about the plot. All it's shown is cool images that make nerds ejaculate, but nothing story or plot related.
I'm assuming that if there were a story they would have put it in the trailer.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

My experience is that story tends to wait for second trailers at least.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

erik wrote:I'm imagining Alan Rickman voicing Godzilla complaining about the stupid town and its people as he trashes the place. I could watch that for an hour with 15-30 minutes of non-zilla exposition peppered in.
You could save a lot of money on costume/SF design by just having a gigantic Alan Rickman trashing Tokyo. Who needs lizards?
Last edited by Occluded Sun on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I'm watching Aladdin the TV series, and this happens:
Jasmine: Darou got rich selling out Agrabah! Ugh, that jackal!
Iago: Yeah, but think about all those jobs he created...
erik
King

Post by erik »

erik wrote:Oooor they should wise up and start writing dialog (or at least monologues) for Godzilla.

I'm imagining Alan Rickman voicing Godzilla complaining about the stupid town and its people as he trashes the place. I could watch that for an hour with 15-30 minutes of non-zilla exposition peppered in.
And I just stumbled upon this tonight...

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Okay, so I was playing Hyrule Warriors earlier today, and the epic-ist thing ever happened.

In one level, there'z this dragon boss that appears several times, flying high above the ground. You keep trying to bring it down with magic chains, and each time it manages to break free.

So eventually, you entreat the Great Deus ex machina Fairy to help bring it down. And this happens.
Half asleep upon my knee
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Gravity Falls is really fucking amazing! It's sort of like the bastard lovechild of Futurama and Adventure Time, though it's an Urban Fantasy (it's set in a small town rather than a city, but I think it's still the correct genre). Seriously, go watch the 1st episode. It's around 20 minutes long anyway.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

Seconded. Gravity Falls is indeed amazing as well as very cleverly planned and written. For those that want a fun cartoon, watch and enjoy. For those who want to tease apart puzzles and get some hints at future story elements, there's a fuckton of the stuff herein. The characters are rich despite the overall lightness of the show, and the continuity is strong.

You can watch it all here.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »