Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

A PC game is entertainment, right? I had lots of fun playing my way through this simple Flash game. It's free to play until the end of the month.

:D

http://www.cipherprime.com/games/auditorium/
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

hyzmarca wrote:
Why use a translation note and not just translate istaghfar?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Because that's not a translation note. Nothing's been translated. The character's dialogue is exactly as presented, i.e. an English sentence that contains a non-English word. Replacing istaghfar with repentance would not actually be translation so much as localization. It's the same reason you wouldn't replace rabbi with priest or some such.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

DSMatticus wrote:Because that's not a translation note. Nothing's been translated. The character's dialogue is exactly as presented, i.e. an English sentence that contains a non-English word.
Ah, I thought the entire conversation was not in english. My bad, then.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Found a little series covering Skyrim Lore on Youtube. Being an ES fan (but not ESO) I was unusually giddy when they featured the actual voice actor for a major Daedra in the (so far) last episode.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Holy Shit

Ok Go's new video has everything.

Uniscooters, BusbyBerkley references, uniformed Japanese schoolgirs, umbrella dancing, marching band-style human pixelazation a subtle Warhol reference and all shot with aerial drone videoography.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You know, the Megaman Battle Network games straddle a fine line between 'WTFawesome' and 'idiotic'. The games are mostly WTFawesome or at least endearingly stupid, but sometimes they legitimately head straight into downright idiotic territory. I'm not just referring to occasions when the gameplay is bad but also when the plot gets just so downright mind-meltingly stupid that it just overloads your WSoD. You know, crap like the lead-up to second-to-last Liberation mission of MMBN5, the final chapter of MMBN2, way too much of MMBN4, a reunion with a 'reformed' villain in MMBN3...
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

You should try Mega Man Xtreme 2. It goes way down the rabbit-hole of stupid into straight up hilarious.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Megaman Xtreme 2 is really no more ridiculous or stupid than Megaman X6; both had the whole "Zombie Mavericks" and "DNA/Nightmare Soul" BS. I actually think Xtreme 2 is less stupid because its references to events that happen before/after the game actually happened in other games--X6 literally just makes up "past events" that never brought up in any other game, nor were the events of any other game (EDIT: It also brings up a few things that happened in X5--mostly Zero's "death." But there are a lot of things that are mentioned in-game casually that didn't happen in any of the games.)

EDIT: This part is more or less a rant so I'm spoilering it.
Also Alia and Signas are really just less interesting versions of Iris and Colonel, respectively, and Gate and his assistant are basically the same as the non-Sigma named villains of Xtreme 2 (the knight and the witch; I forget their names) with the exception that Gate's assistant (whose name I also forget) looks fucking ridiculous (seriously, he's like the love child of Dr. Wily and the King from Katamari). Also, they're both just "robot mad scientists" which is way less interesting than "robot knight" and "robot witch."
Back on track, X5 was hilariously stupid, too. Honestly, most of the later X series is kinda ridiculous. That it takes itself super seriously only makes it funnier.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Big Hero 6 was pretty awesome. I'm a bit disappointed that Fred was white washed and reduced to a supporting character, but it was still enjoyable.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Just watched Horns (finally*). It was suitably awesome. I kind of wonder about the cosmology of the movie, since there wasn't much exposition on that, and it could be anywhere from "Satan thinks murderers are pricks, so he gives Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter Iggy Parish the power to do something about it," to "God has declared Iggy Parish his hand to punish the real murderer," to "Fuck if we know, dead fiance powered magic horns and angel wings." Which would put it in pretty much the same cosmology as the Crow movies.

Oh. The one thing that disappointed me about the movie. The one penis we see is not Daniel Radcliffe's.

Huh. Now I'm wondering if there's enough conceptual space in "My fiance was murdered, everyone thinks I did it, and hey look, I have magic powers to find the real killer" for an RPG... Hm. Maybe one of those arty indie rpgs... Since the source material is all of Crow and Horns.

*This is weird, because I was waiting for this shit to come out so I could see it, but once I learned it was limited release, but also On Demand, it took me forever to actually download it.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Prak wrote:. The one penis we see is Daniel Radcliffe's.
Alright, I now have a desire to see Daniel Radcliffe's penis despite never having a desire to see it before...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sorry, typo. Daniel Radcliff's penis does not appear in the movie. To my disappointment.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak wrote:Just watched Horns (finally*). It was suitably awesome. I kind of wonder about the cosmology of the movie, since there wasn't much exposition on that, and it could be anywhere from "Satan thinks murderers are pricks, so he gives Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter Iggy Parish the power to do something about it," to "God has declared Iggy Parish his hand to punish the real murderer," to "Fuck if we know, dead fiance powered magic horns and angel wings." Which would put it in pretty much the same cosmology as the Crow movies.

Oh. The one thing that disappointed me about the movie. The one penis we see is not Daniel Radcliffe's.

Huh. Now I'm wondering if there's enough conceptual space in "My fiance was murdered, everyone thinks I did it, and hey look, I have magic powers to find the real killer" for an RPG... Hm. Maybe one of those arty indie rpgs... Since the source material is all of Crow and Horns.

*This is weird, because I was waiting for this shit to come out so I could see it, but once I learned it was limited release, but also On Demand, it took me forever to actually download it.
I've read the book, and it was really awesome. I've been on the fence about seeing the movie, though, especially since it has Daniel "Equus" Radcliffe.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Radcliffe was pretty good in it, actually. Even with the dead fiance being a redhead, I wasn't particularly stuck on "that's Harry Potter."

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Awright, I guess I could give it a try. And I, personally, am glad that I don't have to see Rad's penis.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

No, just some fat old guy.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you want to see Radcliffe's penis, you need to see Equus or break into his house.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Or google Equus.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak wrote:Just watched Horns (finally*). It was suitably awesome. I kind of wonder about the cosmology of the movie, since there wasn't much exposition on that, and it could be anywhere from "Satan thinks murderers are pricks, so he gives Daniel Radcliffe Harry Potter Iggy Parish the power to do something about it," to "God has declared Iggy Parish his hand to punish the real murderer," to "Fuck if we know, dead fiance powered magic horns and angel wings." Which would put it in pretty much the same cosmology as the Crow movies.
Its intentionally ambiguous. I read an interview with Radcliffe where he quoted Joe Hill as saying that explanation is the death of fantasy.

There's room there, not much, but there's room. The problem is that there is a definite win condition, proving your innocence and getting the real killer. That means that its better for short games running only a few sessions. There's less space for long-running characters, but it does exist. Occasionally one of these guys wouldn't find any closure in catching the real one-armed killer and instead becomes Batman.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, it occurred to me that going to something more like Alas Vegas, a game which is less RPG and more "plot with interaction story game" with a cool gimmick for it's resolution model and quite possibly never fucking coming out. It actually has a set adventure, in three or four parts, where people round robin the MC position. Or that's the intention, see the struck out part.

So, yeah, it could be a story game that is intentionally not ongoing.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I watched the newest Gojira movie today, and I liked it. At the least, it was sooooo much better than Zilla.

However, the movie was so poorly lit that during all the scenes when Godzilla was fighting the Mutos, I could not tell what the fuck was going on. Then again, I was watching it on a bootleg DVD, so that may have been the problem...
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I saw it in theatres, it was suitably awesome. I wish they had focused on the monster, more than uninteresting human protags, but.... what are you gonna do?

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Why do American Godzilla films (now that we've had 2) focus on the human characters and the military, rather than the giant monsters? It's like Michael Bay secretly directed them, but with less fapping.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).